“A lovely stay in a beautiful house”
Review of Adele Turner Inn

Adele Turner Inn
Ranked #26 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A lovely stay in a beautiful house”
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

The Adele Turner is a beautiful old building in the nicer part of Newport. The rooms all have their own character and despite being an old building seems to have all the amenities. I am not sure if it has air con though but the time of year we were there, this did not matter.

The tea and coffee available all night round down stairs was a nice touch, as were the home made cookies. Breakfast was cooked to order and was very nice with reasonable portions. The eggs on crab cakes were lovely and the service was excellent. Definitely gets my vote.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Westford, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 26, 2014

I took my husband here for his birthday. We were greeted by Daneel, who brought us up to our room, the Harbor View Spa. On the way up to the third floor a housekeeper gave us a warm welcome. Upon entering the room we saw a bottle of wine, two glasses, some chocolates and a birthday card for my husband. This was such a nice touch and a great first impression :) We loved our private deck with gorgeous views of the Newport Bridge, as well as the harbor. The hot tub was amazing and we didn't want to get out of it! Harry, the innkeeper, had recommended a great pub for dinner. My husband loved it! The best part was that the inn is within walking distance to downtown. We can't say enough good things about our first visit to Adele Turner Inn. It definitely won't be our last! My husband, who is not normally an inn person has changed his mind after this stay :)

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Bergen County, NJ
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Part of the B&B experience is having a great breakfast. I have stayed at several other B&B's in the area that offered a much better breakfast by far. The breakfast here was disappointing. Items are not fresh. Eggs entree with tomato and basil seems to be a bruschetta mixture from a container at the supermarket. I discovered this when I asked if they could just put the basil in my eggs and leave out the tomatoes. I assumed it was made fresh. How hard can it be to chop some tomatoes & basil? I was told they could not accommodate because "its all mixed together already and you "have to stick to what's on the menu". The breakfast menu also does not change and all you'll get is your omelet on your plate. No potatoes, no bacon, etc. The B&B is run by a staff which is very punctual about making their exit once their shift is over. There are no owners/innkeepers regularly on site to give it a personal touch and that makes it loose it appeal. On a positive note, the location is perfect and we liked our room (Beatrice Turner). Parking is tight in their parking lot so if you drive a larger SUV, beware.

Room Tip: BeatriceTurner is a bright room that has lovely curved windows, gas fireplace, and was quiet even th...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Newport, RI
Reviewed February 19, 2014

When I booked the Harbor View suite I was looking forward to a romantic stay at what I thought was a reasonable rate. Although $219 for a private hot tub on your deck seems great, pay the extra money to stay at one of the other luxury inns or hotels in the area. The room was tiny, even by b&b standards. The temperature control was awful. It was either incredibly hot or incredibly cold, no matter where set the thermostat. The storage is awful, barely a place to hang anything. The bathroom was in need of a rehab, badly cracked tiles and a very pungent odor coming from the shower stall...mold perhaps? Breakfast was disgusting. Processed food and not fresh barely edible fair great you in the morning. I had such high hopes for this stay...never again. The view from the deck was gorgeous, but that's where the charm ends.

• Stayed February 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We booked the Tycoon Suite based on the description provided. It lived up to it's description, if a little smaller than expected. Once we removed the top of the bedpost we had a clear view of the TV from the bed. The TV in the sitting room was fine for viewing from the lovely wing back chairs, and sitting in front of the fireplace was very relaxing. The whirlpool tub was generously oversized and provided a wonderful time. As stated in a previous review the water pressure in the steam shower could be improved upon. We loved the view of the beach from the bedroom window. We arrived in time for the Saturday wine tasting and on the way home we visited the winery and purchased a few bottles. The breakfast menu was limited but the food was excellent and the cook was very accommodating. All the staff we met were pleasant and helpful. The location was perfect, close enough for everything and a quiet neighborhood too. We did manage to see some of the other rooms and they were all lovely. The Wi-Fi signal was weak in the beginning but it picked up while in use. We will most likely return.

Room Tip: The tycoon suite is lovely as long as you don't mind climbing 3 flights of stairs. The great Gat...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Fitchburg, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Absolutely beautiful! My boyfriend and I went down last week for two nights to celebrate our anniversary. We had originally booked the Great Gatsby Suite, but when I called to confirm the morning of we were told that there were renovations going on in the room and we had been upgraded to the Tycoon Suite. When we arrived, we were greeted by Simon, the son of the owner, Harry, who runs the Victorian Ladies Inn on Memorial Boulevard. Harry has owned the Adele Turner for 4 years now. Simon was so polite and accommodating; because we were the only guests in the Inn for our stay, he asked when we would like Tea Time. We told him what time we would like, and went upstairs to relax and unpack. The room was incredible!! There were two information packets in the room, giving the history of the Inn and other things in Newport, as well as recommendations for our stay. There was quite a view from one of the windows, Fort Adams can be seen, as well as the bridge lit up at night. We came down for tea at 3:30 and were greeted by Harry, the owner, who spoke to us while Simon finished preparing tea and snacks. Simon had already set out scones and cookies, and soon brought out the hot water and offered coffee, which my boyfriend preferred. We made very good use of the jacuzzi tub, gas fireplace, and steam shower. The only downside was the water pressure in the shower, but we did just fine! The jacuzzi was beautiful and so relaxing. The next day we met DaNeal? the innkeeper, and Kristin, Simon's wife. Simon and Kristin moved to Newport last week and are taking over running the Adele Turner while Harry and Daneal run the Victorian Ladies. She made us a wonderful breakfast. I am amazed at some of the comments that the food at the Inn was not good, and am so glad I did not listen to those reviews! At checkout the next morning, after an equally enjoyable breakfast prepared by Kristin (her first at the Inn), we were sent off by Simon, Kristin and Daneal. We were so pleased with our stay at the Adele Turner, and will absolutely be back!!!

Room Tip: ~Keep in mind, the Harborside Spa Room, Hall of Fame, and Tycoon Suite are all on the top floor and...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 5, 2014

I'm very, very behind in writing this review, and so unfortunately I cannot write in the detail that I should. We stayed at the Adele Turner Inn in June -- about 7 months ago.

We thought the Inn was lovely --very laid back, which we appreciated. The rooms and bathrooms were small, but very cozy and perfectly clean.

The breakfasts were great, staff was friendly, we appreciated there being a tea/coffee station available 24 hours a day, the beds were very soft, the location was fantastic . . .

The only negatives that I can remember is that on-site parking was tight (though the lot up the street really is close by, so it wasn't a big deal), and the armoire in the room was lacking in depth to a degree that it was difficult to hang clothes (we were in town for a formal wedding, and had a lot of dress clothes with us, so this was sort of unfortunate).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple