“journey through history”

and 1 more site!
Sanford-Covell Villa Marina
Ranked #70 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 17, 2012

We arrived Saturday, left Monday. House is magnificent. It is somewhat overdecorated but never distracting. Adds to the charm. Although we stayed in the smallest room, in the basement, they did inform us and upgraded to the King room next day. Heated salt water pool must be experienced. Food is simple , good coffee. No hot meal or eggs when we were there, but we're not big eaters, and that wasn't the point of our vacation. The history of the house surrounds you and pulls you in to the late 19 early 20th century. Staff was very polite and helpful. The view and sunset from the wraparound porch is breathtaking. Just browse the Google images. And last but not least we just loved Sasha, the full sized poodle, well groomed and sophisticated. We miss her. Definitely going back with my Rottie, as well behaved as Sasha. No A/C but plenty of fans. Kept pretty cool.

Room Tip: Get a water view room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank aydinolgun
There are newer reviews for Sanford-Covell Villa Marina

Reviewed June 30, 2012

Worst bed and breakfast ever. No updated plumbing. No cooked breakfast. Just bagels and cereals.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed January 26, 2012

This B & B is beautiful, inside and out. The hard wood finishes and intricate trim instantly remind you that you're in a very old house. The furnishings are a mixture of history, with pieces ranging from the late 1800's to the 1920's and on up to modern day. I'd say the house is heavily decorated, not cluttered.
We stayed for two nights in the Dolphin Room. This room is more like a small apartment and has its own balcony. There is a large armoire that separates the sitting room from the bedroom w/ private bath - toilet, small walk-in shower & sink. The entire room is lined with windows, but there are sufficient curtains for privacy. If you're not extremely modest, keep the curtains open. The all around view is incredible, and one of the most beautiful sunsets I've ever seen (and I've seen my fair share of tear-jerking sunsets).
Aside from the aesthetic beauty of the house and landscape, one of the biggest perks for me was the dog-friendliness! We have two very spoiled fur kids that go everywhere with us. The grounds are completely fenced in and the B & B requires that your pets be well-behaved and picked up after. Our dogs had a blast playing with the resident, white standard poddle named Sasha! The B & B is in a great location too. It was a scenic five-minute walk to the wharf, where there are lots of great shops and restaurants. Some shops even kept water bowls outside for passing canine friends!
If you're looking for a unique experience and an unbeatable view, then Sanford-Covell Villa Marina is the place you need to be!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the Dolphin Room for spaciousness and the most gorgeous sunset you'll ever se...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Liedle
Reviewed November 7, 2011

I stayed for weekend in the Apartment section of the house. We had a separate entrance and it was a beautiful room. There was a bedroom and living room, along with a full kitchen, so plenty of roomto spread out and be comfortable. We were able to heat the room to the right temperature and there were plenty of blankets and bedding to keep us warm when we turned the heat down for the night. A disappointment was that the TV did not have a DVD player, so we ended up finding some VCR tapes at a local thrift shop so we could relax in front of a movie after a busy day of walking around town. The breakfast was mediocre - fine for a continental breakfast, but it would have been nice if a hot breakfast was offered.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2011

The Inn staff were friendly, the room was comfortable though cluttered with too many antiques and decorations. The plethora of grandfather clocks, though beautiful, made it hard to sleep because there were about 4 and they all went off about 5 minutes off from each other. The bathroom was very old and not in a good "antique" or old fashioned way, rusted sink and cracked, floors and tiles. It felt dirty. The clawfoot tube was nice but the shower curtains and floor mats were dirty and grimy. I skipped the second day shower and waited until I got home (and felt cleaner). The room was cold and though space heaters were provided but they were not able to be plugged in because the old outlets didn't hold 3 prong plugs. Most disappointing of all was the breakfast. It was all cold stuff - muffins, cereal, toast and you had to serve yourself. Really not what one expects for a B&B and especially one that charges $200/night. Nice location, easy walk to Newport, and water views are this place's only saving graces. If you just want a bed, and to be in walking distance of Thames street and Newport, then you might not be as disappointed as we were.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank AnoymousRI
Reviewed September 23, 2011

Beautiful family owned home that is right on the water with the most stunning sunset view. Not too far from town so you can walk to dinner.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Really Beautiful Views, Great Pool...but you need to be there to enjoy it. If you're there for a meeting or festival and gone all day you don't really get a chance to enjoy the main feature - pool and views. Rooms are average - Its a great big, eclectic house thats really interesting to wander around but comfort is lacking for the price. Old bed linens, lumpy, small beds. No airconditioning on 90+ degree weather days. Breakfast is really so basic its almost insulting. Store bought muffins, minimal fruit and cereal/yogurt - thats it. They'd be better off just offering coffee and not saying its breakfast. Left a few items in my room and they mysteriously vanished when I called to retrieve them. I went from the room to my car to my home - so I didn't lose the item, I left them in the room and somehow they were not to be found. I had to call three times before I could even get a call back. Not even a sorry or an offer of reimbursement. There are a lot of places to stay in Newport - I'd say if you want a great view and a pool to lounge at in the afternoon then in might be worth it but the poor breakfast, lack of "new" bedding, but most importantly minimal customer service - I'd spend my $300 elsewhere.

Room Tip: Some rooms have shared baths, Rooms on bottom have no airconditioning
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends