“Great B&B”
Review of Cliffside Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newport
Cliffside Inn
Ranked #2 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Houston, Texas
“Great B&B”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Cliffside Inn June 15th - 18th and we loved it. We stayed 2 nights in the Loft and 2 nights in the Tower Suite. Both had their own unique amenities and we were happy with both. The bathrooms in each were very luxurious and much better than you typically find in a bed&breakfast. The beds were comfortable.

The owners and staff are fantastic - very friendly and accommodating. The daily breakfast was always great (and made to order should you want something other than the daily special). The location is very convenient to all the things to see and do in Newport.

This a great place to stay if you are looking for a B&B in Newport.

1 Thank mman493
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
It was so great to have the two of you with us for your 35th(!) wedding anniversary. We really enjoyed getting to know both of you and watching you enjoy Newport. You were so engaging with all of the other guests . . . you should consider innkeeping.

We hope you will make it back to Newport sometime soon. It's just slightly cooler than Texas these days.

Nancy, Bill and Koty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Sometimes people gush over how good movies are, andI tend to be disappointed when I leave the theater because my expectations were so high. This also occasionally happens to me with very positive reviews on Tripadvisor. I am VERY happy to report that Cliffside Inn met every single high expectation I had going in. I am a pretty harsh critic, and I couldn't really find any fault with Cliffside Inn. I hemmed and hawed over whether to stay at The Chanler or Castle Hill Inn (both of which I'm sure are lovely), but am really happy with the decision to stay at Cliffside instead.

There are four distinct things I'd like to highlight: the owners and staff, the delicious breakfast, the comfortable beds, and the luxurious bathrooms. I tend to judge a place by shower and coffee quality, and this place gets very high marks in both areas. The staff and owners were so kind and friendly, it felt more like staying at a very wealthy friend's house than it did a bed and breakfast. The location is just a stone's throw from both a beach and an entrance to the cliff walk. Every night starting around 5pm, they host a wine hour with a great selection of canapes, and then they light the outdoor fire pit at around 7:30-8.

The walk into the main part of town is an easy 20 minute walk, which is what we did instead of driving (parking is expensive and a nightmare around the wharf). If you are weary after dinner, you can easily take a quick pedi-cab back to the inn. We both agreed that we will bring our bikes next time we come.

We will definitely stay here again. Nancy, Bill, and Alexa, it was a pleasure to meet you and we hope to be back again soon!

Room Tip: I'm sure all rooms are equally wonderful. They have a cottage that is dog-friendly!
2 Thank katieL87
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
It was such a pleasure meeting both of you. What incredible lives you are leading and we know we will hear amazing things from both of you in the years to come. I'm so glad that you loved the inn and that you will be coming back. We only had a chance to scratch the surface of the work we've done and what you are doing. We are looking forward to hearing more. As summer starts, more and more people meet up at the fire pit and it is just a wonderful spot to have a relaxing glass of wine after your pedicab home!

Thank you also for the lovely personal email you sent. We look forward to hosting some of your friends and to your next visit.

Barcelona
Reviewed June 12, 2013

My wife Katherine and I spent three great days at the Cliffside Inn during the first week in June. Owners Nancy and Bill are attentive, personable and just good people whose main concern is the comfort of their guests. The same can be said about the staff. Right away, you get the feeling that you are visiting old friends. Our room was beautifully decorated, fresh and comfortable with a view of the water. The quiet location of Cliffside Inn is perfect with the Cliff Walk right nearby.
Breakfast is not to be missed. You may have continental breakfast, a special gourmet treat or whatever your choice might be with , nonstop coffee, tea and a variety of juices. All is served in beautifully appointed surroundings and in the company of other guests who quickly become your friends. Each afternoon wine & d'oeuvres are served in the dining room which is a great prelude to dinner at one of the many fine Newport restaurants. During these interludes, Nancy and Bill would suggest restaurants and places of interest that suited us perfectly.
To say we enjoyed our stay is an understatement. We look forward to the time when we can return to the comforts of Cliffside Inn.

Katherine and Albert,

We are so glad that you left your small island for a few days on our just slightly bigger island. We really enjoyed the time that we were able to spend with you and getting to know you better. It was wonderful to see you enjoy the other guests so much too.

We look forward to your next visit.

Warm regards,
Nancy and Bill (and Koty)
Easton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 11, 2013

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the Cliffside Inn. Nancy and Bill are gracious hosts in their beautifully renovated Victorian Mansion. The breakfast was amazing- bananas foster French toast, eggs quesadilla and fruit waffles; homemade granola, yogurt, fresh fruit and homemade muffins. Eggs prepared any way you like is offered. At 5pm Wine and tapas style hor'doeuves are served- everything homemade, fresh and delicious. My husband and I especially liked the homemade cookies we found in our room every evening.
The location is perfect-steps away from the cliff walk and the beach. Close to the mansions, fine restaurants, great dives, and shopping.
Bill was fantastic at directing us to great restaurants and activities. Thanks for arranging the trip on the America's cup yacht- it was one of the most exciting experience ever!!!
Our weekend exceeded our expectations and we are looking forward to visiting again soon!
Oh yeah- and the fire pit is awesome!

Room Tip: We loved the blue room. The window seat is cozy for reading with lots of natural sun light.
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for that wonderful review. We had such a great time with the two of you. The fire pit really is a wonderful way to end the day. This time of year it really becomes a gathering spots for guests to share their daily adventures.

I am so glad that you had a "perfect weekend getaway" and do hope you will be back soon. Maybe S'mores next time?!

Best,
Burlington, CT
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I had the recent pleasure of celebrating our 30th anniversary at the Cliffside Inn, and we could not have chosen a better place. We've stayed at several bed and breakfast's over the years but this surpassed all expectations. This Victorian mansion was fully restored and the attention to detail is quite apparent. The Garden Suite with oversized whirlpool tub was wonderfully romantic and comfortable. The breakfast was scrumptious! The building and surrounding property is just gorgeous. The location to the downtown/wharf area and Cliff Walk is very convenient. Innkeepers Bill and Nancy obviously enjoy what they do, they are enjoyable, pleasant and personable hosts. We plan to return again for another memorable stay. Thank You both!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank e1doug
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
We are so pleased that you chose the Cliffside Inn for your 30th wedding anniversary. We are honored that you chose to spend it with us. Of course, we wish you could have stayed for more than one night, but it was great getting to chat with you for a short time at the wine hour.

Hopefully, you will find time to sneak away for another romantic stay soon.

Chicago
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My friend and I had a girls getaway weekend at the Cliffside Inn. If only all hotels/inns could be this wonderful. Nancy and Bill couldn't have been nicer - it was like staying with family. The food was absolutely delicious. Breakfast is free and shouldn't be missed. They also host happy hour with snacks at 5pm - very high quality. They give great recommendations of things to do during your trip and are genuinely interested to know how your day was. The Inn itself is gorgeous. We stayed in the Blue room, which was perfectly and expensively decorated. These folks know what they're doing. Highly, highly recommend.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jvald
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
We had such a great time getting to know you both. I can't believe we were at Georgetown Law School at the same time. I'm sure our paths must have crossed there. It was so much fun chatting with both of you. I think it is great that you plan these getaways. What a great break from your very busy schedules.

Maybe at some point you can come back with your husband for a romantic getaway. We'd love to have you.

Best regards,
Nancy, Bill and Koty.
Kingston, New Hampshire
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My husband and I spent this past weekend at the inn to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We had a fabulous time. The Tower Suite was absolutely perfect...2 levels, private entrance and parking and a turret with water views. The inn and grounds are beautiful and in a quiet location close to the Cliff Walk. The breakfasts and evening hors d'oeuvres were wonderful. The owners, Bill and Nancy are such nice people and terrific hosts. The Happy Anniversary message and rose petals on the bed when we returned from dinner were lovely and so very thoughtful. We love Newport and the surrounding area and will definitely return to the Cliffside.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
It was so great to have you back at the Cliffside Inn after a 10 year hiatus! We are thrilled you decided to come back for your 25th anniversary and that you had a great time. We always like to hear reactions from people who stayed at the inn prior to our taking it over and are pleased that you enjoyed the changes we made. I agree, the Tower Suite is really something special. I always feel like I am in a fairy tale when I go in it.

We do hope you will return - and not wait another 10 years.