“Amazing Honeymoon getaway!”

Ranked #2 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing Honeymoon getaway!”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Cliffside for a week for our honeymoon and we could not have asked for a better time. Bill and Nancy are great, as well as their staff, and their attention to detail made our stay perfect. The room was gorgeous, the breakfasts were delicious, and they were able to help us out a lot in recommending things to do, restaurants to eat at, and helping us take care of reservations. We would recommend staying here to anyone who wants the warmth of a B&B with the amenities of a high end hotel.

Room Tip: All of the rooms offer a slightly different feel, but they all look amazing!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
It was our pleasure to host you for your honeymoon. What a great couple you are and we really enjoyed your stay. I hope you have been able to replace your glasses and that the trip back to Canada was safe and uneventful.

Looking forward to having you in Newport again soon and wishing you many years of happiness.

Best,
Nancy and Bill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
Salem New Hampshire
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We have always been fans of the Cliffside Inn, and had visited several times over the years. We heard that the Inn had been sold to new owners and was undergoing a major renovation. When it reopened, we stayed in April, and returned again in August to celebrate our 37th wedding Anniversary (and my birthday). To say that the beautifully renovated Inn is the best Inn we've ever stayed in would be a tremendous understatement. It's better than best, it's PERFECT in every way .... owner hospitality and graciousness, staff friendliness and service provided, food, room appointments and cleanliness, ambiance, setting, gardens, fire-pit, location ... and the list goes on and on. Will we come back? Absolutely. Will we tell all our friends and family about the Inn? Already have ;)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Well, that is an extraordinary compliment...thank you very much. It was great to have you back again with us and to talk about the Cliffside Inn "before and after". It has been just over a year since we completed the renovations and we especially enjoy showing guests, who have stayed here in the past, all the work that has been done. On behalf of all of us at the Inn, thank you for your return visit and for your continued support. We look forward to your next visit.

All the best.

Wayland
Reviewed August 25, 2012

We visited Cliffside in mid-July and were delighted. The service was personal and exceptional. Bill got us last minute reservations at an awesome restaurant on Saturday and he gave great tips for exploring by bike. The suite was modern, nicely decorated and very comfortable, and breakfast was delicious. We would love to return!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you MASSExplorers for staying with us, and for your thoughtful comments about your Cliffside Inn experience. Nancy and I really enjoyed watching you both enjoy Newport...and exploring by bike is one of the best ways to see the area. We appreciate the time you took to share your impressions of the inn with others on TripAdvisor...it means a lot to us! Enjoy the fall and we hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I am an avid traveler and consumer of TripAdvisor content. Although I rarely provide feedback, I thought I would give back to the TripAdvisor community today and submit some highlights and lowlights from this weekend’s stay at Cliffside Inn in Newport RI. That said, as I sit here at my laptop having unpacked my bags and loaded my pictures on to Facebook, I must admit that I have ABSOLUTELY nothing to report back in way of “lowlights”… so … what I will attempt to do here is to simply state the facts without the hard sell in hopes of still being able to add some nominal value to your search. FACT #1: Cliffside Inn is VERY clean and VERY new (I believe it was renovated in 2010) yet it is warm and inviting and retains the wonderful colonial charm you would expect of a Newport Bed & Breakfast. FACT #2: Nancy and Bill (the owners) are kind, respectful, and honest people living out their dream of providing Newport locals and visitors alike with a top-notch B&B experience. Simply put, they care about their guests and will strive to exceed expectations. Nancy’s thoughtful recommendations including the Cliff Walk and Ocean Drive at sunset, MADE OUR TRIP. Nancy also made last minute reservations for my fiancé and me at Tallulah on Thames, one of Newport’s famed restaurants (thanks again, Nancy). FACT #3: Cliffside Inn’s wonderfully landscaped backyard is just footsteps away from the start of the famed Cliff Walk (a must see). Cliffside Inn is also a short drive from Thames Street (a hot spot for restaurants, bars, shopping, etc) and an even shorter drive (3-4min) from the start of Ocean Drive and many of the famed Newport Mansions (additional must sees). FACT #4: The room (I can only speak for the “Tower Suite”) was PERFECT. “Perfect” as defined by SUPER clean with modern amenities and tastefully elegant colonial décor. It is a two floor lighthouse-like tower with the restroom on the 1st floor. The restroom is massive and includes a HUGE jacuzzi for two plus a separate full sized stand-up shower stall. The bedroom, which is upstairs, is quaint yet elegant and features high ceilings and a wall of bay windows overlooking tree tops and a partial view of the ocean (beautiful and serene). FACT #5: A bonfire is lit at sunset for guests to enjoy. Additionally, hors d’oeuvres and light refreshments are served upon arrival and breakfast is served in the mornings (we missed breakfast unfortunately but the strawberry cream cheese muffins Nancy saved for us were darn good). All in all, our stay at Cliffside Inn was nothing short of amazing. I would strongly recommend Cliffside Inn to anyone, especially no frills couples in search of a quiet romantic weekend getaway. My fiancé and I are ecstatic that we found the inn and hope to return regularly. Thank you TripAdvisor community (and Nancy, Bill & “T”) for making our visit to Newport so wonderful! See you again soon!

Room Tip: We loved the Tower Suite
3 Thank NYCVacationer77
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Nancy and I appreciate your taking the time to provide such a detailed and thoughtful review of your weekend at Cliffside... a helpful "giveback" to the Trip Advisor community. I loved the "Just the Facts" approach to your review of the Inn and Newport. The Tower Suite is an especially romantic room and has become one of our most popular over the last year - good choice for your getaway! On behalf of all of the staff, thank you for staying with us and for your support - we hope to see you both again soon. Take care.

Kind regards,

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Wonderful Hosts - immaculate, well appointed rooms - perfect temperature control - quiet and comfortable - super breakfast - great afternoon reception.

We have stayed here three times this year!

(Now that I have said it, I will probably have a harder time trying to get reservations next year)

Room Tip: They all have their charms, The descriptions on their web site are accurate.
1 Thank NewEnglander41
You made us smile as we read your very thoughtful comments about the inn. I can assure you that when the two of you are ready for your next visit to Newport, we will find a way to get you into "your" room. We really appreciate your support and the time that you have spent here at Cliffside. I will also note that your review of the inn has caught the attention of many on Trip Advisor...several hundred in fact, so you are a well read reviewer. Our best to you both.

Bill and nancy
Danbury
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My wife took me on a Mystery Weekend and much to my surprise and delight we ended up at the Cliffside Inn. Everything was perfect. The owners, Bill and Nancy (and Cody), were warm and welcoming. The cottage room was quiet and bright and the breakfasts, tea, and wine hours were wonderful. Newport was a fun destination and Cliffside in is the perfect base to explore from with the Cliff Walk just steps from the door. We're trying to figure out how to get adopted.

1 Thank happydinerDanbury
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
I'm telling you . . . part-time innkeeper and yoga instructor. It's a winning combo! We really enjoy spending time with you both during your visit. This is such a great place to unwind, relax and rejuvenate. I hope you were able to complete some of the planning you were working on. I'm looking forward to finding out what you decide.

Thanks also for sending the generator information. We are a few steps closer to having one!

Looking forward to the next visit.
Nancy and Bill
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Charming stay in this Beautiful cliff side setting...Took a scenic walk along the cliffs, just minutes from the Inn...Beautifully landscaped with a great fire pit to enjoy a superb bottle of wine...Room was extremely comfortable... Sizable tub with whirlpool & a wonderful, delicious breakfast...Best of all was the courteous and efficient staff, especially Inn Keepers Bill & Nancy...Answered all our questions and recommended great restaurants and scenic tours of this lovely area...All in all, this was a great visit...

Room Tip: Room off porch has a spiral staircase down to the bathroom and sitting room, ideally used to cuttle...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bob L
Thank you Bob for your visit to Cliffside, and for taking the time to share your impressions with others. We are glad you enjoyed the Garden Suite...the privacy is great and it is very romantic with the spiral staircase to the cozy library niche, the bathing salon and the private garden patio. Nancy and I enjoyed seeing you enjoy Newport and we look forward to your next visit.

Best regards.