“Nothing less than 5 stars!”
Review of Cliffside Inn

Cliffside Inn
Ranked #1 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 27, 2012

After spending this weekend at Cliffside Inn which exceeded all of our expectations, I was eager to write a review for future travelers. I am not surprised to see all of the 5 star ratings; I'm sure if more stars were possible they would get them consistently. The odd rating of 1 star stood out as I read it - and I don't understand it!! Did they stay at the Cliffside Inn with their impeccable service, afternoon wine and amazing hors d'oevres, and gourmet breakfasts? Or are they reviewing the restaurant they ate at? It doesn't seem like small portions and a parking ticket should be Bill and Nancy's problems, but hey - maybe that's why they didn't feel like other guests were talking to them. I couldn't believe how friendly every staff member and Bill and Nancy (and their adorable dog, Coty) were. Believe me, you will LOVE the Cliffside Inn. If you do park in downtown Newport, read the signs and park legally :)

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

Thank you for that wonderful review. One of the best things about being an innkeeper is knowing that your guests enjoyed their stay! Your comments really make us and the staff (and Koty) feel great about what we do. Boston is not too far away so we hope to see you back here often.

Reviewed May 27, 2012

The Cliffside Inn was exactly what we needed while dealing with delayed movers. The location offered the perfect retreat; near the ocean and cliff walk for morning and evening strolls. The accommodations were exceptional. The room was a soothing combination of modern elegance. We enjoyed learning about the history of the Inn while enjoying an afternoon wine tasting and delicious appetizers. Although it was a rainy day day, the fireplace made the morning a cozy and comfortable room for conversation and a memorable breakfast of orange French toast. We especially enjoyed the hospitality of Bill and Nancy and of course, Cody, the friendly dog.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

It is a shame that the moving vans were delayed, but it was our good fortune because it allowed us to get to me you, your son and his girlfriend. I walk by his place every night with Koty, so make sure if he needs anything to let us know. Please stop by next time you are in town visiting.

All the best,

Reviewed May 26, 2012

My girlfriend and I just completed a two night stay at the Cliffside. We decided to head up to Newport for a little rest and relaxation. The Cliffside was the perfect place and the Inn keepers, Bill and Nancy were exceptional hosts.

We stayed in the Beatrice room, very warm and cozy; the bathroom was the highlight equipped with a large walk in shower and a two person jetted tub. Initially I was worried about potential noise as the rooms were very close together but we never heard one peep from the other guests. The evenings were very quiet! The room was exceptionally clean and elegant down to the last detail.

We enjoyed the home made breakfast every morning and found the other guests to be warm and friendly. Bill and Nancy went out of their way to ensure we felt at home, they helped with dinner reservations and made certain we had the low down on what to do in the city. The Mooring is a very respectable dinner choice. The evening happy hour and outdoor firepit were also exceptional. The proximity of the Cliffside is also a major plus. Literally steps away from the Cliff Walk, close enough to the downtown area to walk, but far enough away not to be bothered by the hustle and bustle.

I would highly recommend the Cliffside to others and we certainly plan to go back and enjoy the company of Bill and Nancy again.

Room Tip: The Beatrice room is very cozy and has a two person jetted tub.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

How great it was to have you both here! We enjoyed getting to know both of you and watching you connect with the other guests. The firepit is really something special and relaxing after a long day in Newport. I'm so glad you could join us out there. Beatrice's room is one of my favorites too and I love that the jetted tub is also in a bay window facing the water and the fire pit. So glad that you were able to get some rest and relaxation and the Cliffside. We look forward to having you back soon.

Nancy

Reviewed May 23, 2012

This stay was truly a disappointment. Prior to our stay, I spoke with Bill, the innkeeper and he suggested we make dinner reservations before we arrive. I asked Bill, to make a recommendation for dinner and Bill, offered to make a reservation for my husband and I at Tallulah in Newport. The restaurant was extremely over-priced, the food served barely covered my plate, not to mention, I was never informed by the innkeeper about the parking restrictions in Newport, and wound up receiving a $25.00 parking ticket that evening. This particular area of town did not have any signs posted to communicate parking restictions. The following morning I shared my experience along with pictures to both innkeepers, neither offered to assist with the ticket or the restaurant experience. I would think, after spending close to $1000.00 for a two night stay, the inn would have offered to at least pay for the parking ticket, or make an effort to contact the restaurant to refund my money. Neither happened, even though one of the inns employee's told me the night of the incident they might compensate me for my inconviences. The inn itself, was cozy, but the atmosphere was odd. People did not speak to each other and I felt as if I was a burden to the innkeepers. Immediately upon arrival, I was asked for my creditcard to pay for the remainder of my stay. I am not sure if this is an east coast habit, but never have I been asked to provide payment in a midwest inn, prior to completion of my stay. I find it offensive, that this is the way to start a visit! Asking someone to pay for a service before its received is very uncomfortable, I mean they had my deposit?!

I would never recommended the Cliffside Inn to another traveler especially after what I experienced prior to presenting for my vacation. I contacted the Cliffside Inn, back in April to explain my father-n-law had been diagnosed with lung cancer which had spread to his brain and that his condition had been declining rapidly. Nancy the innkeeper, refused to allow me the opportunity to cancel my vacation, (even with a 2 week notice ahead of time). I even went so far as to ask if they would accept a doctors note explaining my father-n-law is near death, and both declined without hesitation. The additional stress placed on my husband and I during this time could have been completely avoided had this inn thought with their hearts and not their pocket books. I am sorry, but I myself am an oncology nurse. People have to cancel or postponed trips all the time when cancer is a factor and this facility showed no compassion what so ever. I believe this may have set the tone for the behavior that followed my husband and I while attempting to vacation in a place without a soul.

12  Thank moore j
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2012

We enjoyed having you as our guest at Cliffside and we were, of course, terribly sorry to hear about your in-laws medical condition. When you inquired about cancelling, we offered, as we always do, the opportunity for you to reschedule your visit to the Cliffside Inn for another time. We have never had a complaint from a guest about Tallulah’s restaurant, most of our guests rave about their experience there, but I would encourage you to contact the restaurant directly if you thought your portions were too small for the price you paid. As you can probably understand, people who park on downtown streets which require a Resident Parking Sticker are often ticketed. I did go down to the location you identified to take a picture of the place you parked, in order to plead your case at City Hall, but I found that your car had been parked just a few feet from a Residents Only Parking sign.

We are sorry that the burden of your family situation colored your entire visit to Newport. Given your comment that you were glad that you decided to take the time away, we hope you were able to get some relaxation time. We hope you are doing well and that you will find a time to return to discover Newport again.

Despite your disappointments with your experience in Newport, we appreciate the lovely comments you left in our guest book.

Reviewed May 23, 2012

The Cliffside Inn is truly a gem! It is a very different experience, because it is not just a hotel, but a beautifully decorated home, with the most nice and welcoming hosts. The carpeted staircase (absolutely no noise!), the salon with its soothing music, the furniture, the decoration, everything was carefully thought to give the guests a relaxing and upscale experience.

We stayed two nights at the Sun Room, a small cosy room, with a bay window (just as can be seen in their website), everything impeccable and very romantic. The shower/sauna is a surprise: technology at the service of comfort. Classical music in the room! And the nightly turn-down service with two delicious cookies!

Breakfast was delicious, with different home-made treats prepared by Bill on the spot (omelets, pancakes, toasts, muffins...). The decor is amazing!
Besides breakfast, there is also the tea at 5 pm and the wine at 4:30 pm (on alternate days), with plenty of exquisite hors d'oeuvres. That is a nice way to make guests meet each other and exchange experiences, always under the charming presence of Nancy and Bill. They are wonderful hosts, who work a lot, but who are always helpful and attentive. They made us feel completely at home, and gave excellent indications for dinner (Mamma Louisa is a must!).

Newport, even in the rain, is marvelous! The mansions cannot be missed (we visited only two of them), and the Scenic Ocean Drive has wonderful views. We hope to be back soon and stay longer, trying another of the lovely rooms, preferably in a sunny weather...

Room Tip: All the rooms must be excellent, because everything in The Cliffside Inn is charming.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

We are so pleased that you picked the Cliffside Inn for your stay in Newport - all the way from Brazil! It was great to see you interact with the other guests at wine and tea, and enjoying our treats. That steam shower in the Sun Room really is fabulous, especially on cooler or rainy days. I hope the next time you are here the weather will cooperate and we will be able to sit by the firepit at night.

All the best,

Reviewed May 19, 2012

I recently traveled to Newport with my sister and had the opportunity to spend 5 nights in the Cliff Suite, one of three suites in the Seaview Cottage. To say we were pleased that we chose to stay at Cliffside Inn is an understatement. From the spaciousness of our accommodations, the tastefulness of the décor, to the nightly turn down service that included a chocolate dipped oatmeal cookie, every aspect of our stay far exceeded expectations. My only regret of having stayed there is the bed. It was SO comfortable that it makes me hate my own bed now!!!

In addition to loving our suite, we thoroughly enjoyed the scrumptious breakfasts that were served each morning. It was always a treat to see what was being served and we liked having the opportunity to visit with people from other parts of the country and world. As for our time in Newport, we found the location of the Inn to be perfect for getting around. We especially loved that it was only steps away from The Cliff Walk. We very much appreciated the suggestions Bill and Nancy gave as for things to do and places to eat. Their input was invaluable!

I highly recommend staying at Cliffside Inn. You’ll find the service and attention to detail impeccable and will be amazed at how friendly Bill, Nancy and their staff are. We couldn’t have felt any more welcome and couldn’t have enjoyed our stay more!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Cliffsideinn, Manager at Cliffside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Thank you so much for your review, and the hand written note you send (the staff was thrilled). It really makes us happy to know that we are able to provide guests with a great stay and to know you and your sister had a wonderful time. It was fun to watch you interact with the other guests and explore all that Newport has to offer. I know it's a big trip from the mid-west, but we do hope you'll make it back here again to visit us.

Stay well,

Reviewed May 17, 2012

We loved our short stay at the Cliffside. Warm, welcoming staff members, gorgeous room, great location and excellent food! Could not ask for more :)
Thanks for a great stay to help us celebrate our engagement!
Warm regards,
Melanie and James

2  Thank Melanie F
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Melanie and James,

We are so happy that you chose the Cliffside Inn to celebrate your engagement. It is such an exciting time and we are glad that we could be a part of it. You will have to come back after the wedding to do the post marriage drink from the wedding cup! We are thrilled that you liked the Grosvenor Suite and that it provided you with a great romantic getaway.

Hope to see you at the Cliffside again soon.