“A blissful stay”

Ranked #2 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Fanwood, New Jersey, United States
“A blissful stay”
Reviewed March 17, 2012

My wife and I just returned from spending two lovely evenings at the Cliffside Inn. The Trip Advisor reviews were right on. Innkeeper Bill and his staff made us feel like family rather than guests. Our room, the Loft, was better than depicted on the website. Breakfasts and the afternoon receptions were a time to enjoy good food and pleasant company. The location was great, being so close to the Cliff Walk and all the sights of Newport. We look forward to returning very soon and our only regret was that we did not meet Bill"s wife, Nancy, who was away. Hope to meet you Nancy on our next visit!

Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
I am so pleased you enjoyed the Loft. It is such a cozy room. I am sorry that I missed you and hope that you will be back at the Cliffside soon for some more bliss!

All the best,
Nancy (and Bill)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Newtown, CT
Reviewed March 16, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a getaway to Newport. The owner, Bill, is terrific! His wife was away, so we didn't get to meet her. They redecorated the whole Inn recently, and it is beautiful! Lots of Victorian charm with modern amenities. Only steps from the Cliff Walk which was great! We stayed in the Tower Suite which is very unique. Has it's own separate entrance. A luxurious bathroom with fluffy towels and robes is on the first floor - with a huge whirlpool tub and a separate shower. Felt like I was in a spa! Upstairs is a lovely bedroom with views of the water. The window side of the room is octagonal with a gas fireplace and a built-in window seat that is up two steps where you can relax and read a book or gaze out at the view. The ceiling is open all the way up to the top of the tower with small windows in the top bringing in lots of natural light. We had great breakfasts of orange french toast and ricotta egg wraps. Afternoon tea one afternoon with lots of home baked treats and a wine and cheese party the next evening! Delicious cookies at bedtime! Bill is very hospitable and knowledgable about the area with great recommendations for dining and sightseeing. His staff was wonderful and accomodated our every request. One recommendation from Bill was Anthony's Seafood in Middletown-- it is terrific for very fresh seafood in a relaxed, casual setting. Absolutely loved the Portugese Fish Chowder! Yum!! We have stayed at quite a few B&Bs and this one is at the top of our list! Definitely number one! We hope to go back in the Fall!

Room Tip: Tower Suite has a phenominal view and is very private!
1 Thank CasRei
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
Well, I hope you come back soon because I am sorry I was out of town and not able to meet you. I just love that view from the Tower Suite - particularly when the fire pit is on. The Ricotta Scrambled wrap is my favorite breakfast! Simple, yet delicious. So glad you enjoyed your stay and I do hope you'll be back soon.

Best,
Nancy
Beacon, New York
Reviewed March 15, 2012

This was the first romantic weekend away for me and my boyfriend and it was a truly wonderful experience. Bill showed us to our room and we were welcomed with champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and soft music playing in the background.

The Inn is beautiful with old class charm and modern amenities. We stayed in the Tower Suite and I would highly recommend it. It is adjacent to the main house but with more privacy and a view to die for. Bill and Nancy were very helpful in letting us know what activities to enjoy in the town as well as some great suggestions for dining. I don't think I'll ever stay at a traditional hotel again, and certainly not when in Newport. As a previous reviewer states, there is a reason why Cliffside Inn is rated number one.

Room Tip: The Tower Suite is quiet with a private entrance adjacent to the main house. It overlooks the fire p...
Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, March 21, 2012
We are thrilled you enjoyed the Garden Suite and thank you for that wonderful review. You really encapsulated the mission we strive for at the Cliffside Inn. Nancy is sorry that she missed other New Jerseyans and hopes that you will come up again soon. We really do appreciate your comments and the time you took to post them.

All the best,
Reading, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 13, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a weekend get away. Bill and his staff were fantastic hosts! We usually stay at hotels, so this was somewhat new to us. The rooms were immaculate with so many nice, little touches-beautiful towels, fireplace in each room, homemade cookies each night. My husbands breakfast of eggs over crab cakes with hollandaise sauce was his favorite (especially with Bill's homemade "rub" for the breakfast sausage) Fantastic place...can't wait to go back in the warmer weather and sit in the yard with the beautiful fire pit!

Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
We are glad that your weekend getaway with us was so enjoyable, and that you decided to try staying at an inn, as an alternative to a hotel for your Newport experience. Thank you for posting the thoughtful comments about your Cliffside Inn stay.

Our "Eggs Newport"...a Cliffside Inn variation on Eggs Benedict (homemade crab cakes instead of ham) is a guest favorite - I'm glad that they were a hit. We had the official re-lighting of the firepit on March 17th since winter seemed to have vanished and the weather is beginning to feel more summer-like every day...(we'll probably get a blizzard next week after that comment!).

Thank you again for the feedback - it means a lot to all of us here at Cliffside to know that our guests are enjoying their time with us. We look forward to your next visit.

All the best.

Bill, Nancy (back home now) and the staff.
Forked River, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed March 13, 2012

We recently stayed two nights at the Cliffside Inn in Newport and really enjoyed it for being our first time visiting there. Aside from a great location being steps away from the cliffwalk, a beach, the mansions and bellevue ave, the hospitality we received from the minute we walked in to the minute we left was what impacted us the most. We received warm greetings each day, and coffee/tea made fresh whenever requested. The breakfast each day was professional, well presented and best of all tasted wonderful. The 5pm wine tasting was great - a nice quiet sit down with hors devours served where the owner was happy to not only answer any questions, but went above and beyond in getting to know each person there. The room was also amazing - what was offered on the website and presented there was exactly what was waiting for us, which was really nice. There was really nothing that we could complain about in all aspects of the trip. We recommend this place VERY highly for anyone, and any age for that matter, who desires a calm, relaxing vacation at a place where you feel like you are being treated like you are the only people there. GREAT place, we can't wait to come back!

Bristol, Rhode Island
Reviewed March 13, 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the Cliffside Inn the evening he proposed to me. When we arrived at the Inn, we were greeted by the owner, Bill, who seemed as excited as I was. After a big hug, Bill walked us to our room where we enjoyed a chilled bottle of Moet and chocolate covered strawberries. After showing us how to use the aroma-therapy steam shower (which was incredible!), Bill booked us a reservation at 22 Bowen (on a Saturday night at 7:30pm). When we arrived back at the room, we opened the door to see rose petals strewn over the bed and some delicious nighttime treats. I cannot recommend this inn enough - what a perfect mix of old Newport, romance and 5 star treatment. I have stayed in beautiful hotels in Italy, Paris and New York and the treatment we received in Newport, Rhode Island was incomparable. It is impossible to stay a night here and not feel at home.

Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, March 18, 2012
What a nice review...thank you. With all the advance planning we did, in preparation for the surprise engagement, we felt like we were family! Yes, we were very excited for you both, and happy to have had you as our guests for your engagement weekend. It is moments like these that Nancy and I...and our whole staff...look forward to.

Our best wishes to you both and I know we will be seeing you again soon.

Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 12, 2012

The decor is perfect and it isn't just for show -- it's for you to use and enjoy! Bill and the staff make you feel like you live in this gracious mansion -- it was hard to leave. The breakfast is fabulous, the tea really includes scones and clotted cream, the wine and hors d'oeuvres are delicious and the bedtime cookies are worth running up the stairs for. I highly recommend this inn to make you feel truly part of Newport.

Cliffsideinn, Owner at Cliffside Inn, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
...Gracious and Welcoming, a nice way to describe the Newport experience and the atmosphere we try to create here at the Inn. We enjoyed having you stay with us, and I am glad you liked the St George's Suite. If you do decide to just "move in", let us know and we'll make room! If you bring your sailboat down for a cruise this summer, I'd love to come aboard check her out.

Take care, and we look forward to seeing you again.

Best regards from all of us.