“Beautiful but Failed to Deliver”
Review of Castle Hill Inn

Castle Hill Inn
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed November 27, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a two night visit to this property where we stayed in a beach cottage. The grounds are beautiful, the room was adorable, and the views were stunning. It was extremely cold the two days of our visit, so weren't able to do much outside of the room on the grounds. Perhaps our opinions would differ if we could have explored/walked the beach, etc. Instead, we had more opportunity to focus on the details, and that's where we weren't so pleased.

- Our room had a soaker tub. After a very cold day out, we were very much looking forward to a nice bath. We ran the tap for 5 minutes (not an exaggeration) and the water was luke warm at best. A call to the front desk resulted in an immediate visit from maintenance (very impressive) who advised that the water just needs to run much longer. It just takes a LONG time to get warm. Okay.. we'll deal with that. But, prepare for a VERY long time for your tub to fill. The water pressure is awful.
- By the time the tub was filled, I was sort of over the idea of a nice long bath. I guess it was the length of time it took in addition the leak our room sprung while waiting on the tub. There was a little locked closet next to the armoire and water started to leak out from it while our water was running in the room. I was prepared for a bath, and not exactly another visit from maintenance, so we soaked it up with a towel and left it there to collect any additional water. The towel was soaked by the time we were done.
- Back to the water pressure.. give yourself a while for a shower. I loved the size of the shower and the rain shower head, but the water was a drizzle. I have fine/shorter hair and I could barely get the shampoo rinsed out. It was a chore to try to rinse in that thing.
- Turn down service was a nice touch. We were presented with fresh water & chocolates and a nicely turned down bed the first evening of our visit. I guess they forgot about us on the second evening....
- The free breakfast was a nice touch. Our first breakfast was lovely. Excellent service, food was wonderful, beautiful view while dining, etc. The second breakfast was a different experience. Multiple items requested were forgotten. I ordered the lobster hash, and my husband ordered the eggs benedict. Both come with poached eggs. If you like your poached eggs basically hard boiled, then you'll find it delicious. I do not.

Will we return to Newport in the future? Definitely
Will we return to the Castle Hill Inn? No thank you.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Wiggum4u
There are newer reviews for Castle Hill Inn

Reviewed November 13, 2013

After a problematic stay in Apr., we returned and got the accommodation we had requested; the 1st beach house. It is wonderful and the one we most often stayed in over the last several years. The view is beautiful and we love to walk around the property, through the woods to the cliffs and lighthouse etc. I did need to mention that we were given barely 1/2 a roll of toilet tissue, no spare, and later discovered the facial tissue near the bottom, when the tan sheets pop up. I don't know if that is being "green" or thrifty. A whole roll of tp was brought, no spare, and the tissue I noticed at night so told them at departure. I found it annoying. The breakfast was ok, used to be much better. Food wasn't so hot, toast and bacon quite cool, and the new coffee presses aren't great. A new hot coffee was brought when I asked but the flavor in those presses was not as good as the coffee I recall there. The place is so clean and gorgeous with a terrific staff and good dinner that it is still pretty amazing no matter what. Views are unmatched.

Room Tip: supposedly one may not request a particular beach house. The one we got this time was promised in Ap...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank peggyvb
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

mMy husband and I recently got married here at Castle Hill. It was enchanting. Not only was the scenery beautiful, but the food was amazing, and staff was on point. Everyone is super friendly and professional who works there. The veiws are breathtaking and worth just going to sit on one of their manh Adirondack chairs sprawled across the huge lawn looking out at the Newport harbor... Not only are special occasions beautiful here, but their everyday dining is tops as well... Totally recommended. My visits here have always been memorable :)

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 28, 2013

My wife and I spent our anniverssary at the Castle Hill Inn because we loved the Newport area. it was our first time at the Inn and it was everything we expected and more! Service is impeccable and the morning breakfasts are to die for! Be sure to take explore the property as there is much to see. I highly recommend having a drink (or two) out on the adirondack chairs. SOOOOO relaxing! We stayed 3 nights and altough it is pricey, we thought it was worth every penny.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2013

we loved staying in the beach cottage this time. although a bit of a walk from the main house the location was great being right on the water and hearing the waves all night - nice! we had dinner one night with the wine pairing and breakfast delivered every morning of our stay (poached eggs with lobster hash - yummmmmm).

It would easily be 5 star but the housekeeping just stunk. we arrived to find the underbed drawers (the only place to leave folded clothing) jammed up at the top of the bed (hard to get to once we figured out they were there), a leftover piece of trash from the last guest stuck under the bed, not given extra shampoo etc, breakfast table was left littered with crumbs, grease etc. until we asked for it to be cleaned, and best of all - on our departure morning got to listen to the housekeeper in the next room talk on her cell phone about some court case she was involved in.

it sort of took away the ambience :(

Room Tip: beach cottages are great as are the harborside.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mrwatson
Reviewed October 19, 2013

This our second time staying at the Castle Hill Inn in one of the beach cottages. It does not disappoint! The sweeping views of the ocean from our cottage were beautiful and relaxing. The breakfast and afternoon tea are delicious. Their attention to detail and helpful manner makes this place so enjoyable!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank abism0m
Reviewed October 18, 2013

A perfect location for a quiet romantic getaway! Castle Hill Inn is a charming little place with a fantastic view of Narrangansett Bay in beautiful Newport, Rhode Island. Tucked away on Ocean Drive, the property is a five minute car ride to either touristy Thames Street or the Newport mansions. The rooms aren't overwhelmingly fancy, but appropriate enough, including a fireplace in each room. The staff was friendly, attentive, and very helpful. The food was good, with a free daily breakfast if you stay at the inn. Overall, everything collectively about our stay was very good. A bit high priced if you only consider the room, but what you are paying for is the charm and beauty of the place. I don't know of a better option in Newport, since there isn't a Four Seasons, nor a W hotel in the the area. Newport is a small wonderful little town with boutique type hotels, of which Castle Hill in my opinion, is the best of the bunch.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple