“Great Location - Service needs work”
Review of Castle Hill Inn

Castle Hill Inn
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed June 23, 2008

Just spent the weekend at Castle Hill. I rented one of the Cottages. They were very small considering the $1,000 plus charge per night but the location made up for the disappointing size. My one complaint is that the support staff was extremely inexperienced and there didn’t seem to be anyone in place to guide them. Don't get me wrong, there were plenty of support staff but, training appeared to be an afterthought. Some examples of this were when I contacted the hotel by email a week in advance to get restaurant recommendations and reservations. I was not contacted until I sent a second email. Again, I responded to the email sent but no response. I emailed again and never did receive a response so had to take care of it myself. That lack of response probably should have given me an idea of what to expect. Upon arriving the person at the desk just didn’t seem to have it together. He seemed like a high school kid who was told to perform the task until the real person got back. I didn’t get the sense I was even welcome. Other issues… I asked for a car service to take me to a restaurant for a 7:20 pickup. No one showed up and I had to call the desk only to find out there was a mix up. The room itself things like tissues and water were out and never replaced when the room was made up for the day. The property was absolutely beautiful and I would love to return but, I wish they would spend more time selecting and training staff so the experience would go from ok to excellent.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
4  Thank vincek1

Reviewed June 6, 2008

We stayed for three nights at Castle Hill, couldn't fault it at all. Everything was perfect, our room in a Harbor House was just gorgeous, all at a bargain special offer on the hotel web site. Staff were lovely and the breakfast really good. We chose not to eat in the restaurant in the evenings as was very expensive, especially with a million places to choose from in Newport!! We are definately going back!!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2008

location, location, location. holds true for this relais and chateaux property. without the location this would be a very mediocre destination. the rooms on the water on nice, but no way a true luxury destination. the bathrooms were really just average at best. there was no shelving, so hard for women to have a place to put on makeup, also the mirror was so high i was practically on my tippy toes, in addition, all hotels should have magnifying mirrors, especially luxury resorts. i also did not like the towels, they were rough, i prefer soft. the room itself was nice but not sure it is worth the price. i guess if we could have used the beach right outside our door that would have been nice, but the weather wasn't quite ready for that. the setting is beautiful, a walk or run in the neighborhood is a must. the staff was nice, although the maitre d' made a suggestion that we should tip him for better service and/or table placement. it made me uncomfortable and i thought for $900 night that should be enough to get the service and attention we required.
the main building is a bit dark and dreary, and the food is good, though a bit too rich for my taste. the desserts were not good at all. there is a $15 corkage fee for hotel guests, that was the best deal there. overall, we had a nice time, but for the money i think you can do better.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank JKSKM
Reviewed May 6, 2008

My DH and I just returned from a trip to Rhode Island and stayed at the Castle Hill Inn at the end of our vacation.

The hotel itself is stunning - a gorgeous mansion that has been seamlessly converted into a hotel. The property is gorgeous - amazing views of the bay, Newport bridge, and Jamestown across the harbor. The hotel does have a private beach, and we were able to enjoy a peaceful walk along the cliff with only a few bunnies for company.

Check in went very smoothly - the front desk personnel were very friendly and happy to make suggestions as to the better eateries in town. The wireless headsets that the staff wear are a bit CIA-ish, but did help ensure the service was unobtrusive (i.e. calling the valet for our car, or a porter to help us with our bags). We stayed in Room 2 which was a good size, and very well appointed. Each room has a gas fireplace, a jacuzzi, and at least partial views of the water. Linens were high end and what you would expect of a 4-5 star hotel.

Guests of the hotel are also offered complimentary tea service in the late afternoons and breakfast. Both were wonderful. The service was extremely attentive, the food was plentiful, fresh, and cooked well. No complaints on either front. Various newspapers are also available at breakfast. There is a business center with one computer in the main property, wireless is available throughout.

We also had dinner at the Inn on our last night. Prices were comparable to NYC prices ($70 for a 3 course meal, $80 for a 5 course meal, some dishes also come w/ a supplemental price tag) but the quality of cooking is also on par w/ NYC restaurants. Service was attentive without being obtrusive. It's a hefty price tag for a dinner there, but worth it for a special occasion.

All in all we felt our stay was well worth the money we paid and we look forward to returning on a future trip.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jma236
Reviewed April 21, 2008

Worst dining experience we have ever had. The service was inattenentive, the fresh baked muffins fresh out of the oven wre ice cold and the lobster hash had poached eggs that had t be cut with a knife. Save you time and money and go to a good restaurant in Newport that doesn't overcharge for garbage!

Stayed: April 2008
11  Thank DSILVIA287
Reviewed March 7, 2008

One of my best friends got married at Castle Hill Inn last September and it was the most beautiful wedding that I have ever been to! She got married on the second weekend in September and everything was perfect- the weather (it was about 75 degrees and sunny that day) the view- she tied the knot right before sunset and you could see the sun setting on the water with the Newport bridge in the background and THE FOOD. It was 5 star service all the way and everything I tasted was amazing from the filet mignon and garlic mashed potatoes to the specialty martinis to the custom cake that they made for her! Now I am telling my boyfriend that he needs to hurry and propose so that we can get married this September!!!!
I know that the wedding coordinator, I think her name is Nancy, is amazing and it would not take long to plan the details. And one of my friends who booked her wedding for September 12, 2008 had to cancel it so I am pretty sure that this date is still available....come on David, pop the question!!!! And all of you other brides to be who are still looking for the perfect location, YOU FOUND IT!!!!!
Melissa H. East Greenwich, RI

• Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed February 24, 2008

My husband and I truly loved staying at Castle Hill. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful and the room (a beach cottage) was spectacular. It was a wonderful, relaxing getaway! While our cottage was small, it was well appointed and very attractively designed. The huge bathtub was great and I loved the toiletries provided by the hotel. The view from our living room (and our bed !!!) was of the semi-private beach - sunsets were amazing!!!!

We enjoyed our dinner at the Castle Hill restaurant very much. Although the dining rooms left a bit to be desired (the design is in desperate need of some updating), the spectacular view, kind wait staff, and historic charm of the Inn made up for it. Our food was fantastic and our waiter helped us select wine that went well with our meal (and was able to do so while staying within our budget). The bar was very special and cozy - we enjoyed having a bottle of wine and playing games one evening by the fireplace.

Our only negative experiences were afternoon tea and breakfast in our room. The tea room is beautiful but the cookies, sandwiches, and canapes were not very tasty.

Regarding breakfast, one morning the staff mixed up our order with another cottage. It took us over 15 minutes to get everything sorted and our food was cold by then. Both mornings, the food was pretty bad. Perhaps it might have been better if we had just eaten up at the main house? It was a bit of a disappointment since we had wanted to relax in our pajamas and enjoy the early morning view!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple