“Stunning Romantic Getaway”
Review of Castle Hill Inn

Castle Hill Inn
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed March 15, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 8 year anniversary in Newport, Rhode Island and we chose to stay at Castle Hill Inn. Before I get to the Inn, Newport itself is such a breathtaking place to visit. I live in New York but have never been to Rhode Island and thought why not? A three hour drive and you are surrounded by water and beautiful scenery. I told my husband we will make visiting Rhode Island a yearly thing which is big for me considering I am the type of traveler that refuses to go back to the same place year after year when there is so much to see, so many places to visit. Since it is a short drive, I will make time to visit even for just a weekend. Ok, on the the Inn....absolutely stunning place! Beautiful, quiet, quaint, everything you ask for in a romantic getaway. The staff was extremely pleasant and friendly the moment you step inside. Our room was clean, spacious and comfortable considering we didn't choose one of the bigger rooms. It is on the pricey side but well worth the bucks!!! I think in the summer I would love to go back and stay in one of the bungalows as we actually stayed in the Inn. Now on the their food..We did not eat dinner there as it was very pricey but breakfast was included and I must say...One of the best breakfast's ever!!!!! I highly recommend the lobster hash. OMG!!!! it was delish. My husband ordered the eggs benedict and a side order of hash as he was jealous of mine and I refused to share. Because I was so impress with there breakfast I will make sure to have dinner there at least one night. Overall, we had a wonderful STUNNING ROMANTIC GETAWAY and I will highly recommend to everyone. I will be back Castle Inn.

1  Thank kikanyc

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed at one of the beach bungalows and it was beyond fabulous! Very private and outfitted with everything we needed for the weekend. It felt like home, but with a better view! If you needed anything, the staff would be there within minutes to replenish. So clean and fresh it felt brand new, but with charming old world "costal" cottage flair. With it's private beach for the cottages, the veiw was all beach and Ocean- so close we kept the window open and heard the waves all night. Best sleep I've had in years! During the morning and twilight, time was spent relaxing on the deck. Close to the mansions and "Cliff Walk" so you can spend all day sightseeing or a short car ride to the charming center of Newport. The cottages are pricey but oh-so worth it for a special get away. The Inn dining was grand at breakfast and the lovely outdoor patio for lunch with outstanding water views, but stuffy for my tastes at our one dinner there. Newport has so many options for fine dining.

Room Tip: The private beach bungalows are fantastic. We stayed at the "Nautilus".
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank judy s
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Don't have much to add that hasn't already been noted, this place is simply fabulous. Service was second to none and the beach cottages can't be beat, especially in nice weather. Found the food and drink service to the beach to be impressive given that it is down the street from the rest of the inn - we wanted for nothing all day. The meal we had in the restaurant was one of the most memorable dinners ever in terms of service and setting. 5 star in every way and will certainly be somewhere to return as often as possible!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaseyP808
Reviewed March 4, 2013

What can I say other than, "outstanding"?! We enjoyed 2 idyllic nights in a cottage (note: the Nautilus is the only free-standing cottage). Staff were superb. The inclusive breakfast was perfection. Exactly the getaway we hoped to have.

Room Tip: Only downside is that if you plan to come and go from your room to do other things in Newport, it...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Brian_Maitland_Young, General Manager at Castle Hill Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

We were thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your winter Newport getaway in one of our Beach Cottages. Watching winter seas and rolling breakers from your room while your fireplace is warming you and your loved one is the ideal winter warm-up. I noticed you had mentioned our distance from Newport. Actually, we think that is one of our best features, in both winter and summer. We're only ten minutes and four miles from the center of Newport, and yet you can escape to the sea, and your fireplace, at Castle Hill. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards,

Brian

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I went here for our 25th anniversary. We stayed in the Turret room which was the most expensive room but well worth it. The bathtub, which was a few yards away from the bed overlooked the 300 degree view of the water. There also was a full bathroom with a large shower. The room was elegant with a fireplace and the room was dark blue tile where the tub is and decorated with all wood including the ceiling. A spiral staircase is in the room which takes you up to the top of the turret. A small seating area as well as a telescope was a nice touch. The staff sent up complimentary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries for our anniversary. We went to tea at 3:30-which is complimentary although I encourage a tip because the staff really pays attention to each guest. They had tea sandwiches, fresh fruit, homemade scones & cookies. Very lovely. Then to dinner at 7. As one diner put it, "this food is ridiculously amazing." He was spot on. Absolutely unbelievable. The meals are prix fixe and you can get a 3 course meal for $75 each and they are very knowledgable about wines. The also have a 5 & 8 course prix fixe meal. The bed was comfortable & with the fire going it very pretty. Breakfast too is included and there is a nice selection. There again tipping is always a nice thing to do. Seems like all we did is eat but it was freezing outside & we only stayed one night. The woman that greets you and goes over your reservation offered me a to go beverage when we left. I believe there are 21 rooms. Can't wait to try it in the summer! Nice for weddings as well.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Taking advantage of Winterfest in Newport this weekend, we searched for a lunch spot that according to my husband, "Was not the usual bill of fare. Not that there is anything wrong with nachos, chicken fingers or burgers." We were not disappointed in dining at Castle Hill Inn.
The lunch menu was prix fixe at $18,75 for an appetizer and a small entree. I sampled the little neck clams with chorizo paired with a salmon filet on a bed of greens with an amazing puree. The meal was phenomenal. The views are spectacular. However the lunch set itself apart by the fantasic, attentive and knowledgeable waiter, Jeff. If you head to Castle Hill, ask for Jeff by name. He was a very kind and refined young man who not only knew the menu and the wine list but was extremely versed in the history of Newport, especially Fort Adams. Castle Hill was a high point of our weekend getaway and I cannot recommend Castle Hill or our waiter Jeff, highly enough. If in Newport, it is a must see!

1  Thank catsmeow05
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Joining trip advisor just to make this review! First off ill start by saying the property as a whole is soooo romantic! We were greeted and taken into a nice medium size eclectic room they called "the ocean room". The food was very well though out, looked fantastic on the plate, and the flavors were unbelievable even in something as common as lamb they managed to take to a level I personally have never seen. The highlight of castle hill is its service team. Our server was Monty, who was outstanding and was extraordinary with his depth of knowledge, also another server was chiming in every so often as well. They seemed to be overlapping tables constantly making sure everything was being taken care of. This place is an amazing restaurant and I look forward to returning over the summer or maybe even sooner! Thanks Castle Hill!!

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight
1  Thank Erin M