“So good, I've referred it SEVERAL times ...”

Admiral Fitzroy Inn
Ranked #5 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I'm a location freak. In every place I stay I prefer to be central, yet quiet, not easy to find. Just this morning I spent a bit of time recommending hotels in Athens (a particular section) for the same reason. This property is great. It's on Thames, yet it's set off the street and normally your room is comforting and quiet. I've personally stayed twice, but then I've recommended it several times and one couple is going back in July! Aside from location, it's also nicely kept, the people are responsive and pleasant, and the breakfast was really good, not just tea/coffee and toast. For work reasons, I've had to stay at a couple of other properties in the past year or two and I can't wait to go back to Newport and stat at the Admiral Fitzroy, If I had a choice, I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Oh, and the FREE PARKING is AWESOME!

Room Tip: Ask when you check-in for a room int the back of the building. If lots of college kids are roaming...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Admiral Fitzroy Inn

Reviewed May 18, 2012

The Admiral Fitzroy Inn is in a great location. The staff couldn't be nicer. The breakfast is great. The rooms are spacious and immaculately clean. Just returned from a 3 night stay and we were very impressed with the Inn

Room Tip: Room number 7 was large with 4 windows, quiet. Had a sleigh bed, and sitting area
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Elzbmccarr
Reviewed November 2, 2011

A nice, well located hotel with free parking. Excellent value for money. The room we stayed in was very nicely decorated. Free internet computer for guests. The following morning we had a very, very yummy breakfast and a nice chat with the owner (ask him for restaurant tips, he is a bit of a foodie).

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank neush
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Visited from England and stayed nine nights...a gamble for us as we had never booked to stay in one hotel/inn for so long...no problem at all. I had done my research as usual and selected the Admiral Fitzroy Inn on cost and location. There are many great Inns in Newport but many are very expensive or a little isolated. The Admiral Fitzroy Inn is welcoming and clean...the housekeeping was outstanding with our room beautifully serviced and a joy to come back to. We got a top floor king...the bed needed its own zip code!! Two windows looked over the car park but when we got back, we didn't particularly want to look at views and anyway, it soon got dark (October). The other window looked over rooftops to the ocean...great. Breakfast was similar each day, but there was such a selection that we didn't get bored. lots of coffee available from very early so I had a couple of mugs on the porch each morning watching the world go by. Quite noisy during the 'school run' but that didn't bother us at all. Otherwise, it was very quiet. An advantage of the AFI is its great location...anywhere in Newport is within easy walking...including the mansions...but it could be tiring walking back from them. great resturants...we loved Zeldas and Sambar (for tapas) ...the Black Pearl was great but the Red Parrot over rated and not good value. We went to Providence by bus...and I hate public transport...it was $2, what a bargain and a great experience...the American public are great. Why drive and then find and pay for parking? The Dinner train was also good value and great quality.
The staff at AFI were great and extremely helpful, especially Danielle who helped us when we had a problem with our hire car and had to change it. (Hope Henry had a good Halloween). All in all we had a great holiday...it was end of season so things were closing down...so there were some great bargains in the shops...credit card melted !! A great time to go, very quiet although I can imagine the crowds in the season.
This is my first review on Trip Advisor and I do not hesitiate to recommend the Admiral Fitzroy Inn...you get just what it says on the tin...and it suited us.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back look over the car park, but not a problem for us. at front may be a little noisy...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Martin S
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We went here the last week in October with two other couples, We booked in September and were promised rooms on the third floor with queen sized beds, when we arrived we were directed to the second floor to rooms with double beds. I checked my email reservation but the bed size is not noted. Any place I book again I Will get room location and bed size in writing!

Room Tip: Make sure you get in writing the room and bed size
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank redsox007
admiralf, General Manager at Admiral Fitzroy Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2012

Thank you for choosing the Admiral Fitzroy Inn. We are very sorry that you feel you did not receive the room you deserved.

At the Fitzroy we always try to accommodate all of our guests requests. If you specifically requested the third floor and we did not honor your request I am sorry. However it is our general policy to move reservations periodically from floor to floor as needed to accommodate specific needs ( i.e. a third person). At the time of booking occasionally we do mention the floor that we are considering for your reservation but unless you let us know that you want a specific room on a specific floor (as our return guests sometimes request) we do not guarantee that is the floor you will be staying on.

At that time of year the bed size determines the room rate and we certainly do guarantee that the reservation for a specific bed size/rate will be honored. Most importantly at the Admiral Fitzroy we only have two bed sizes which are queen or king, (a few rooms have a daybed in addition to the queen). We do not have any full (double) size beds in our Inn. In addition, the 2nd and 3rd floor rooms are a mirror image in terms of room configuration and bed size, only the floor differentiates them.

I hope this explanation clears up this misunderstanding and that you will consider the Admiral Fitzroy Inn for your next visit to Newport.

Reviewed October 26, 2011

We were a bit late in getting a reservation in Newport and didn't realize there was a lot going on that weekend. The Admiral Fitzroy is right on the busy street down by the water--but that is also a positive as you can walk and find all kinds of great shops, restaurants, sights, etc. . .The Inn needs a bit of updating--the furniture is a bit tired. BUT, the service is friendly. Breakfast is not a truly "hot breakfast" but offers ample selections of cereals, breads, fruit, cheeses and also some ham slices. Good coffee and a selection of tea. It is safe and clean which is important. Would I stay there again if given other choices? Probably not.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Nice little hotel in an old house, good location in walking distance of all the shops, restaurants and harbor. Nicely presented breakfast with yummi granola, bagels, coffee, real juice, cheese, ham, hard boiled eggs - and everything in a lovely room. Don't miss the roof-top -you get a wonderful view of the sea and Newport!

• Stayed: October 2011