“Just ok”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Thames
Transit: The Barking Crab is located just two short blocks south of Newport's Gateway Center on America's Cup.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

The Barking Crab wasn't awful, but it wasn't amazing either.
The clam chowder was good. We had a few shrimp cocktail that were served nice and cold. I tried the crab cake sliders and thought they were a little more than lukewarm and just ok. Didn't taste or see too much crab in them. My husband had a fried fish sandwich and it was fine.
Our server was good and very patient with my indecisive Mom. It was easy to be patient because the restaurant was completely dead. I imagine that in the summer they must have a rowdy crowd and nice outdoor dining.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Ashley, our wonderful server, was very friendly and attentive, we really enjoyed our lunch. The drinks and the food were great, fresh seafood and mulled wine on a chilly winter day in Newport. We'll be back when it's warmer!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We ate at the Barking Crab with a gift card from friends. I have a soy allergy, and they managed to meet my needs very nicely. Enjoyed a delicious salmon dinner.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

We ate there 3 times in 2013. The quality of food for the price is below average. The reason we tried it 3 times was the fact we were hungry & the smell was good but also we figured we should give it another shot....never again.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

I really, really don't like this Barking Crab. I don't even know where to start. The service is usually pretty ambivalent. They seem to make it pretty clear they could care less if you're there. It's pretty awful considering the last few times I've been there the restaurant has been empty. I mean we were the only people there aside from the staff at the start of the dinner hour.

I also don't know what it is but my food is always cold here. I don't know if the restaurant itself is too cold or if the food just comes out cold. I don't like cold seafood. There is nothing I hate more than having to break open cold crab legs that were supposed to be hot. Not cool! No pun intended. My most recent visit was the most alarming however. I ordered fried scallops with boiled potatoes instead of fries. I received a grease filled basket of fried scallops and french fries. I asked for the other potatoes not wanting to even try the fries and then started in on my scallops. Raw. That's right they were amazingly raw and cold inside, soggy and overdone on the outside. My potatoes came about 15 minutes later and 2 out of the 3 (yeah that's all I got) were rotten inside. Not only did I feel sick looking at them but I was outraged. Not wanting to ruin the meal for everyone, I didn't really say anything but it seems like we all did that because everyone left upset.

Don't bother with this one. The one in Boston is better if you're that desperate for barking crab and there's tons of other restaurants just a stone's throw away that are a million times better. If you get here you're gonna be robbed of a good meal, money and probably the rest of your evening. Absolutely awful.

1  Thank Mrs A