“Great Location”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great location for people watching and had good music. Really average food - that was just ok. I had the lobster roll - good not great. Not very well plated, smaller portions and spotty service. The drinks were good and the outside seating great. Would go back for drinks only.

1  Thank MaddyLibby
schroeder01, General Manager at Pier 49 Seafood & Spirits, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to review your recent dining experience at Pier 49. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed our great location and live entertainment. In addition to those highlights, we also take pride in providing exceptional food and service. It is disappointing to read you received average food. Please do not hesitate to contact our staff if there is anything we can improve upon on our part to exceed your expectations. We hope you will consider dining with us again and look forward to your return.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Decided to eat dinner with family on the 4th of July. Atmosphere is nice, but that is where it ends. Ordered burgers that were over cooked, server was terrible, always had to look for her to get something. Someone threw one of our kids meals away why we went to the restroom without asking if he was done. Outdoor dining and the one man band is nice if you just want to go for drinks, otherwise stay away form this place.

Thank you writing a review regarding your Pier 49 experience. First and foremost, we would like to extend our sincere apologies for not exceeding your expectations. We strive to deliver the upmost quality and service to each of our guests. Should you feel these standards are not being met, we strongly encourage to immediately speak with our restaurant manager to express any concerns. Please know that your feedback is greatly appreciated and we hope you will consider coming back in the future.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Ate outside at the bar on Monday night, mainly because we wanted to watch the Bruins in Game 6--ouch!

Bartender was very friendly and attentive. Decent selection of wines by the glass, limited draft beers, but a few decent ones (Shock Top, Stella, Sam seasonal).

We ordered a burger and the lobster roll (which we saw the person next to us eating). Burger was juicy and flavorful, although cooked medium instead of medium rare as ordered; we didn't fuss about it because it was still a good burger. Lobster Roll (market price--$21) had a very nice amount of lobster, not much mayo, good flavor. It came on a grilled hot dog bun, as it should. Fries came with both sandwiches and were at least a B+. Prices were reasonable, especially for the location.

There was a guitar player for a while; he was trying hard.

Not a bad spot for a casual meal or drinks outside. I probably won't return to watch major sporting events there...but otherwise, I'd certainly go here again.

Thank you for choosing to dine on our outdoor patio at Pier 49. We greatly appreciate your kind words regarding your experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed the service, food, and beverage selection. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Had a great dinner at the outside bar on the water. The bartender Jennifer made the night so much fun. Love this place!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Several friends and I who frequent downtown Newport and the Wharf stopped at Pier 49 on Memorial Day. The location fit our needs; a nice outdoor patio area with the sun shining directly on us. There was a 2 man band playing ambient music and they chose many nice relaxing musical selections, perfect for a casual dinner by the water. We sat down at a table down at the end of the dock, found that it was a bit windy, and chose a more secluded table towards the entrance. No problem! We were very encouraged by the atmosphere and opened up the menus while ordering a round of cocktails from our seemingly shy and inexperienced yet pleasant enough waitress. Prices were not terrible for the location, but the menu was pretty limited. I was not all that hungry having eaten a short time ago, and decided to order a bowl of NE Clam Chowder. The waitress came back with our drinks; a dark and stormy for my friend sans a lime and straw, a Tanqueray and tonic for myself sans a lime and straw, a vodka soda for another friend sans a lime and straw, and finally a friends' orange flavored vodka and soda with a splash of cranberry, which looked as if it been given a tidal wave of cran rather than a splash. Attempting to correct this mistake, my friend asked for the same drink with less cran and was brought a nearly identical drink. No worries... The waitress asked for our orders and I asked for the chowder but to my dismay, they were out. With no other soups on the menu and no appetizers that caught my fancy, I decided to pass on the food. 2 of my friends ordered a Jerked Chicken Sandwich that was decently priced and sounded okay, while another friend ordered a spinach salad with chicken added on. We drank our cocktails and enjoyed some nice conversation and music, although the band took a quick 15 minute break. The food came in a decent amount of time, but we were in no rush so it may have seemed long to others. The waitress put the plates in front of each person and was about to walk away when those eating requested silverware. A relatively easy thing to remember at a restaurant as a waitress one would think. Once again we chalked the service up to inexperience and timidness, but were growing a bit wary of the routine. She brought the silverware rolled in napkins and quickly placed them down and left, not noticing that my friend was missing salad dressing for his salad. He began eating anyway but soon got tired of the dry leaves and waited another 5 minutes til the waitress came back to check on us. She returned with the salad dressing another 5 minutes after that. Giving the waitress a final test, I sat my empty drink clearly in the middle of my empty place setting and waited for her to acknowledge its empty status and ask if she could get me another. Of course she didn't... she walked away and did not return until finally I got up to get a refill at the bar. As I was making my way towards the bar, she intercepted me halfway, interrupting her idle bar counter lean and hopefully realizing the folly of her ways in slight embarrassment rather than being completely oblivious. She brought my drink to the table and left quickly yet again, not asking my friends if they also needed a refill. They finished eating and the check was brought promptly. We shortly contemplated having another drink to enjoy the weather and the 2 man band, but quickly decided against it. The waitress returned with the check and we tipped her most likely far more than was commensurate with her service. She said a quick "thank you", took the check and walked away, at which point I groaned, "ughhh... lets get out of here." Not exactly a phrase a caring owner or even marginally interested waitress would like their customers to leave with.