“Not as advertised”

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Newport
New York City, New York, USA
“Not as advertised”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

The decor, the setting on the wharf and the room were beautiful and contemporary. The hotel is very centrally located. This hotel is for the under 40 year old crowd. The service was not good and the people had not been trained. Great bar scene. But the food would rate a fair and overpriced at best.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gil F
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Gil F,

Thank you for you review. While I'm happy you were pleased with our facilities and location, I am very sorry to hear that our service did not live up to your expectations.

We're very proud of our staff and typically are used to hearing great reviews about them, so this stings, but we are happy for the feedback and will review your comments in our next all-staff meeting.

Best regards,
Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Spent the weekend at this hotel, paid top dollar and got bargain bottom service. So we arrive via taxi to the hotel and there is not a bellman in sight, we carry our bags up the stairs and ask a woman inside the front door where to check in, she says "right here", asks our name and for a credit card, brings us to our room, says welcome and walks out. There was not a question as to whether we were happy with the room, did we need anything, did we have any questions, no explanation that all of the information for the room i.e. mini bar, room service charges etc were on an iPad. Then we tried to get the iPod to work, gentleman came up and told us that the docking station did not work and would have to wire it through the TV. We were staying in a Deluxe Waterview King room, which at this time of year averages $1,000 a night. The bathroom was small, one sink and very little counter space, there was not a vanity mirror (which I have found standard in almost every hotel), the lighting was not good and there was no ventilation fans in the bathroom. The view was what was promised and the outside areas were very nice and the staff in the bar and restaurant area were great. Prior to going for breakfast we asked the woman at the front desk to order us a cab to get back to the rail station for later that afternoon, instead of a cab she decided to order us a car service, which some might think was nice except the difference in cost was approximately $50 dollars. When the car service showed up I asked how much and was told $90 dollars, my husband went to the front desk and asked why we were ordered a car service instead of a cab and he told, she didn't think it mattered and didn't realize we had a preference. Then we got our bill, we were charged for parking, we didn't have a car, the gentleman at the desk said "oh", apparently they just assume you have a car and charge you for it, we were also charged for a bottle of wine from the minibar that we never drank. There was no apology for the overcharges or the mistake with the cab, just a shrug and a we will adjust your bill. I expected so much more, maybe if you stay off season it is better, but having visited Newport many times over the past years I could list many other locations where the service is better, the rooms are as nice and you don't leave with the feeling of being taken advantage of.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kelly963
Dear kelly963,

Thank you for your thorough assessment. I am very sorry that you were so disappointed with your experience. Certainly what you describe is not what we aim for- not at all the experience that we typically deliver or want to be known for.

I assure you we take your comments very seriously and are working to figure out how we erred and how we can assure that we won't have another guest with same experience.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a super comfortable and gorgeous room and can sleep through any noise than this is a good pick. The room was huge and the bed was so comfortable! We were so excited to sleep with the windows open for fresh ocean air, too bad techno music was playing until all hours on a Tuesday night. We had to close the windows and wear ear plugs. My only other complaint was the front desk, if you could call it that. Two very nice girls holding iPads took over 30 minutes to check us in and get us to our room. We were the only ones in the lobby. Thankfully there was a nice bartender who gave us water while we waited. Beautiful hotel but the vibe was very LA, I'll take the updated gorgeous hotel but would like to still feel like I'm in Newport, not Miami or LA.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank LindsayW2323
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear LindsayW2323,

Thank you for your review. While I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities, I'm am sorry to hear that your check-in experience and sleep were unsatisfactory.

Under the busiest of circumstances it should never take 30 minutes to check-in to your room and your concerns have been passed along to our Director of Guest Services. We take this very seriously.

I am also sorry that the music was being played to loudly for you. It is a careful balancing act to provide both energetic nightlife and a restful environments. It seems we stepped over the line on this particular Tuesday.

If you plan a future trip to Newport I hope you will consider us again and contact me in advance so I may meet you in person.

Best regards,
east greenwich, rhode island
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

Was here for my son's wedding. Initially had problems with our accommodations, however, the general manager stepped up to the plate and went above and beyond!!! The accommodations in the main hotel are to die for!!! Worth every penny and more!!! Gorgeous room, wonderful comfortable bed and great bath. Oh, did I mention the beautiful views? Great location and easy to walk anywhere from here. I would highly recommend staying AND dining here. Wonderful outside bar to watch the boats.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank dermgoddess
Dear dermgoddess,

Thank you for the kind review. I'm sorry to hear that things didn't start well, but very happy to hear that there was a happy ending.

I hope you will be back soon.

Very best,
Royal Wootton Bassett, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in January off season whilst on business, and as we had cause to return on business my boss rang and got a deal. Not disappointed at all. Great atmos downstairs, great bar staff waiters et al. Super lunch of Caesar salad with grilled shrimp, can't fault it. I know it's not a business hotel but if you can get a deal and you're prepared to put a bit of work into your travel you'll get rewarded, another great stay in a great spot. Thanks 41 north

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Hello andywakeley,

I'm so pleased you were able to return! I remember your review from this past winter and thank you for writing another.

Please let me know the next time you are here, I would very much like to meet you.

Very best,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

My daughter (11) and I stayed here in the Seabreeze cottage and it was fabulous. I didn't really need such a large unit for just the two of us but it was actually cheaper than a room in the main building. And after reading some of the reviews here about the noise from the bar, I was hesitant to be in the main building. This turned out to be perfect.

The cottage is a stand alone house next to the parking lot. There are actually a couple of cottages with a little courtyard area in between. You do immediately go up a staircase as someone else mentioned so those with difficulty walking should be aware. There is a service/stock room below the unit so you're really isolated. You are in the alley across from Christie's. Occasionally you'll find workers nearby smoking in front of the cottage but they usually leave as soon as you come towards the door. Everything is beautifully decorated as a seaside cottage with hardwood floors and plantation shutters. One reviewer commented about security because of the door but this is Newport and yes break-ins can always happen but I was not concerned at all here. I'm from New England so I may feel more comfortable knowing the area.

There is cable, a Wii play station, an iTouch and an iPad in the unit all free of use. Wifi is free and open.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because you really have to be independent to enjoy this unit. It is very private and if you are self sufficient then it's perfect. If you are not familiar with the area and are not comfortable looking up info on the provided iPad or on your own, then you may not find it as enjoyable. I called the concierge one day to ask about the Block Island ferry and she was looking it up on a map and couldn't provide any more info. Really disappointing service for such an expensive and highly rated hotel. I ended up just looking it up online myself. Also the iPad didn't show up in the room until the 3rd day so the first two days I was looking and wondering where the hotel information was (like room service). Housekeeping must have realized it wasn't there but not sure why it took so long to get there. I finally used it on the last morning to order room service (breakfast) and the food was amazing.

It is walking distance to the main shopping/dining area of Thames St and you can just leave your car in the parking lot even though you do have to pay for valeting it. Overall a beautiful hotel - my daughter asked if we could stay the entire summer in that cottage. I wish I could!

Stayed June 2014
1 Thank AnnaLtravels
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear AmnaL124,

Thank you for your positive and thorough review. I'm glad you and your daughter enjoyed your trip to Newport and I'm happy the Seabreeze Cottage suited you so well. I do apologize for our lapse in realizing that the iPad was missing- thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I hope you will be back soon.

Best,
Rhode Island
Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Even though we visited July 4th weekend, we were treated like we were their only guests. Great waterfront location- easy to walk all over downtown Newport or just relax and watch the boats go by. The dinner was one of those memorable meals that will be my new my benchmark for every upscale restaurant I dine at. It was stellar and the wine pairing -sublime! A must visit when coming to Newport.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank TravellingThom
Hello TravellingThom,

Thank you so much for your review. I'm so happy that you received excellent service even on such a busy weekend. You should come back in slower times of year and let us show you what we can do then!