“Got off to a rocky start, but ended on a FANTASTIC note!”
Review of Forty 1⁰ North

Forty 1⁰ North
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Was here for my son's wedding. Initially had problems with our accommodations, however, the general manager stepped up to the plate and went above and beyond!!! The accommodations in the main hotel are to die for!!! Worth every penny and more!!! Gorgeous room, wonderful comfortable bed and great bath. Oh, did I mention the beautiful views? Great location and easy to walk anywhere from here. I would highly recommend staying AND dining here. Wonderful outside bar to watch the boats.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank dermgoddess
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2014

Dear dermgoddess,

Thank you for the kind review. I'm sorry to hear that things didn't start well, but very happy to hear that there was a happy ending.

I hope you will be back soon.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed here in January off season whilst on business, and as we had cause to return on business my boss rang and got a deal. Not disappointed at all. Great atmos downstairs, great bar staff waiters et al. Super lunch of Caesar salad with grilled shrimp, can't fault it. I know it's not a business hotel but if you can get a deal and you're prepared to put a bit of work into your travel you'll get rewarded, another great stay in a great spot. Thanks 41 north

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Hello andywakeley,

I'm so pleased you were able to return! I remember your review from this past winter and thank you for writing another.

Please let me know the next time you are here, I would very much like to meet you.

Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

My daughter (11) and I stayed here in the Seabreeze cottage and it was fabulous. I didn't really need such a large unit for just the two of us but it was actually cheaper than a room in the main building. And after reading some of the reviews here about the noise from the bar, I was hesitant to be in the main building. This turned out to be perfect.

The cottage is a stand alone house next to the parking lot. There are actually a couple of cottages with a little courtyard area in between. You do immediately go up a staircase as someone else mentioned so those with difficulty walking should be aware. There is a service/stock room below the unit so you're really isolated. You are in the alley across from Christie's. Occasionally you'll find workers nearby smoking in front of the cottage but they usually leave as soon as you come towards the door. Everything is beautifully decorated as a seaside cottage with hardwood floors and plantation shutters. One reviewer commented about security because of the door but this is Newport and yes break-ins can always happen but I was not concerned at all here. I'm from New England so I may feel more comfortable knowing the area.

There is cable, a Wii play station, an iTouch and an iPad in the unit all free of use. Wifi is free and open.

The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because you really have to be independent to enjoy this unit. It is very private and if you are self sufficient then it's perfect. If you are not familiar with the area and are not comfortable looking up info on the provided iPad or on your own, then you may not find it as enjoyable. I called the concierge one day to ask about the Block Island ferry and she was looking it up on a map and couldn't provide any more info. Really disappointing service for such an expensive and highly rated hotel. I ended up just looking it up online myself. Also the iPad didn't show up in the room until the 3rd day so the first two days I was looking and wondering where the hotel information was (like room service). Housekeeping must have realized it wasn't there but not sure why it took so long to get there. I finally used it on the last morning to order room service (breakfast) and the food was amazing.

It is walking distance to the main shopping/dining area of Thames St and you can just leave your car in the parking lot even though you do have to pay for valeting it. Overall a beautiful hotel - my daughter asked if we could stay the entire summer in that cottage. I wish I could!

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank AnnaLtravels
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2014

Dear AmnaL124,

Thank you for your positive and thorough review. I'm glad you and your daughter enjoyed your trip to Newport and I'm happy the Seabreeze Cottage suited you so well. I do apologize for our lapse in realizing that the iPad was missing- thank you for bringing it to our attention.

I hope you will be back soon.

Best,

Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Even though we visited July 4th weekend, we were treated like we were their only guests. Great waterfront location- easy to walk all over downtown Newport or just relax and watch the boats go by. The dinner was one of those memorable meals that will be my new my benchmark for every upscale restaurant I dine at. It was stellar and the wine pairing -sublime! A must visit when coming to Newport.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank TravellingThom

Hello TravellingThom,

Thank you so much for your review. I'm so happy that you received excellent service even on such a busy weekend. You should come back in slower times of year and let us show you what we can do then!

Reviewed July 4, 2014

I attended the chefs dinner last night and it was one of the most fabulous meals I've ever had. Jesus Nunez is the executive chef at 41 and prepared a spectacular 7 course meal that equalled my favorite dinners at top Philly and New York restaurants. The setting on the water surrounded by super yachts in their marina with impeccable service and table setting led by restaurant director Steve Scott was perfect. Go to 41 for dinner!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Dear SMALLGIRL1,

Thank you for the terrific review! We've gotten tremendous feedback from that particular dinner- I'm so happy you were there. Our Chef and Steve Scott are going to be really delighted to read your review.

I hope you'll be back for future dinners that are scheduled.

Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I decided last minute to drive to Newport and spend the night at 41 North to celebrate our 35th anniversary. We'd been there before and loved everything about it.
In booking this reservation we inadvertently clicked on the wrong date and would have been one day late for our reservation. The management changed the reservation without any change fee and was extremely gracious about accommodating us. Additionally, they acknowledged our anniversary with a complimentary treat, which was waiting for us in our room.
The room was beautifully appointed, spacious, and really clean! The lobby and the setting right on the marina are gorgeous! The entire staff was pleasant and very helpful! We love this upscale boutique hotel and will definitely return. We highly recommend 41 North to anyone looking for a beautiful hotel in Newport!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lingolady1
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear lingolady1,

First of all, happy anniversary!

I'm so glad you had an enjoyable weekend and thank you for your kind comments about our staff.

I hope you will be back often.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Forty 1 North is an amazing hotel, situated on the dock with beautiful view over the marina. The rooms are nicely decorated with comfortable beds. We had dinner and drinks at the Grill where they served delicious food and the service was outstanding throughout our visit. I would love to go back again and I recommend the hotel to anyone who is going to Newport.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sara R
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Dear Sara R,

Thank you for your comments. Stockholm is a terribly long way from here, but I hope you will return as soon as possible.

Your review means a great deal to all of us. Thank you again.

Warm regards,