Forty 1⁰ North
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel Viking(Newport)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgrand suiteoval barred cottageharbor view suitesoaking tubboutique hotelguest serviceswet baroff seasonbeautiful hotelgas fireplacewater viewoystersvalet parkingnew englandnewport harborthe entire staff
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

41 North wants to be in the level of top notch hotels, but their service level knocks them down to mediocre.
We recently stayed their for my birthday. The problem came with the bill: when we checked out there was a $25 charge for parking. Well we parked on the street and the valet said we could do this. When we questioned this we were told everyone gets this charge (my question: what happens if you did not drive there... Still a parking fee?). When my wife explained about what happened, she was told that they would check with the valet if this was true. Great customer service: accuse your guest of lying!
Another item that bothered me.... All the items you can purchase are displayed on the counter in your room, it looked like a convenience store. The staff are not the most pleasant staff I have encountered. Even when my wife wrote to the general manager the response was generic and there was not apology. I really think management could care less.
If you want to go to an upscale place to stay I would try castle hill or the chanler.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hugh M
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Hugh M,

I can’t tell you how sorry I am to know that you had such a disappointing experience. It is especially troubling that your primary complaint has to do with the level of service and responsiveness from our staff, as normally we view our genuinely friendly and professional employees to be our greatest asset.

Regarding the parking charge, I assure you that we do not have a practice of charging guests that do not use our lot, nor do we question the integrity of our guests. It is clear from your experience that we need to review our training- both with regard to how we apply parking charges as well as our communication regarding such charges.

As for the display of our in-room bars, we appreciate your feedback and will consider how we may be able to display them more attractively.

Please accept my sincere apology.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Sensible rates off season make it worthwhile to stay outside of the usual anonymous business hotels. Excellent location right in the heart of newport social and restaurant scene. Beautifully appointed throughout, impeccably clean and well maintained. The staff were friendly and attentive to a fault. Breakfast can be included in the rate and was good. The hotel wasn't even a third full when we stayed as it was January so it was nice and quiet, I would imagine that in the summer peace and quiet would be the last thing you would get as it is obviously a gathering spot and had party and event space downstairs. We booked this gem direct with the hotel for just a few quid more than staying at a "jelly mould" business hotel and drove to few miles every day to our meetings. Would stay again, if we can get the rate that is.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank andywakeley
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Dear Andywakeley,

Thank you very much for staying with us and for the great review. Your comments are sincerely appreciated, especially those about our friendly and attentive staff.

We hope you will stay with us again on your next business trip to Newport, but perhaps there is a Newport vacation in order before then.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed here for a weekend in May, and just loved this hotel. It's beautiful and in a great location. We had gotten a deal to stay at the hotel, but when looking at their normal prices, they just seem outlandish, and not worth the money. Don't get me wrong, the hotel is very nice, but there are a lot of nice places to stay in Newport. Also, there was a wedding one night we were there, and heard booming music until late at night, which was pretty annoying. Each room has a fireplace and you get an iPad to use, which are two nice touches. Will stay here again if I can find another deal for staying, otherwise I would not pay the full price.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear GraceTraveler97,

Thank you for your enthusiastic review, you have no idea how much it means to us!

Regarding your comments about prices, we are sensitive to your concern and frequently have special offers like the one you booked. Also, as an insider’s tip, you should consider visiting us in the winter. Newport is beautiful at this time of year, our rooms all have fireplaces, crowds are thin, and prices are considerably lower. It makes a great short getaway from New York.

Thank you again and we hope to see you soon,

Reviewed December 3, 2013

As a travel consultant I am very fussy when choosing a hotel to stay in, but my husband wanted to have a night at Newport driving from Boston to New York. Unfortunately 1 night was not enough. We wanted to stay longer. Forty 1 North was amazing. The location was stunning, and the decor, ambiance and friendly service made our stay so enjoyable. The rooms with fireplaces, ipods, ipads, sunken baths and amazing mini bar selection, it was hard to leave. Both lunch and dinner in the restaurants was beautiful. Loved the groovy music playing in the public areas but agree with other reviewers it was too loud.
Will recommend this hotel to all my friends and clients.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CAROLYN R
psauceda, Director of Sales at Forty 1⁰ North, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Hello Carolyn R.,

Thank you very much for the kinds words. We wish that you and your husband were able to stay a bit longer- maybe next time.

I'm so happy you enjoyed the facilities, dining options and our energetic vibe. We also take your comment about the music level very seriously. We are always looking for ways to create a better experience and are striving to find the perfect balance between upbeat and relaxing.

We hope to see you again the next time you're in the states.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We stayed recently with good friends. The hotel is beautiful and came highly recommended. Location right in the middle of Thames street. The water view is gorgeous. Decor very european. Bar hopping at night. Restaurant great. Unfortunately the music that is played in the lobby is played in the halls with multiple speakers. It is loud and played into the night. It makes resting during the day difficult and sleeping at night impossible. We asked the staff to turn it down or off and we were told "no". A free breakfast does not make up for a lost night sleep.

Room Tip: Be sure to require a room not near the speakers
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends