“Just didn't get it”
Review of Forty 1⁰ North

Forty 1⁰ North
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed one night at the 41 in mid July. Upon arrival we were immediately greeted by the valet who welcomed us and sent us inside. Once inside is where it seemed a little different from places we've stayed in the past. There is nothing that really resembles the traditional front desk nor is there any signage to help. We were taken up to our room and our luggage arrived shortly thereafter. The room was nice, clean and organized and offered a view of the Marina (albeit a small one). As others have eluded; the place is unique. The room was fully stocked with a wide variety of liquors which was more than we could say for the bar. We stopped by the bar for an after dinner drink (ate elsewhere) and they did not have two of my wife's choices or my first. As I watched him make my drink he ran of the brand he was pouring and after a brief search to with no luck he simply poured another brand into my glass. At this point I was not in the mood to argue. We have stayed at other upscale places in Newport in the past and wanted to try something new this time around. Based on our experience we will not return.

The location is great, the layout is great but the staff seemed to lack the experience needed when running an upscale hotel. As the title of my review states: "Just didn't get it".

4  Thank Williams84

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Happened upon this place by chance when wandering around Newport. Had an excellent lunch. Unfortunately did not have a chance to get back to sample any of the rest of the menu or facilities ... but would have liked to judging by the quality of the food!

1  Thank Reviewer5811
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I have waited a few weeks to write this review hoping that a manager would return my calls and emails, however, since that has not happened I will begin.
Upon check in, I attempted to park my car in an open space near the front of the hotel since I was traveling with my 82 year old mother for her birthday weekend. A valet came up and said he would park the car and it would stay there safely for the next 3 days. We checked into our room which was NOT the room I was shown in March - I knew it would not be waterview but I didn't realize that it almost impossible to fit between the bed and the closet which could barely hold 3 sets of pants and 3 prs of shoes. Unfortunately, we were told that the hotel was sold out so we could not change rooms. I attempted to find the ice machine and eventually headed to the lobby where a front desk staff said "go to the kitchen and someone wil fill it". Ok, again, not what I expect of a 5 star luxury hotel. The next morning we had to attend a graduation and turned the water on in the shower which was ice cold. We called 3 times but was 6:30 am and difficult to locate maintenance. We showered in cold water and maintenance finally showed up and fixed the problem so we could shower for the next 2 days. When I walked out the front of the hotel, I noticed that my car was moved. I asked the valet where it was and his response was "14 spaces up on the right" I asked why it was moved and was told "we had to make room for dinner/lounge guests" In my space was a red Maserati. The next 2 days were experiences with various staff members of total disinterest and uncaring attitudes. I'm not sure if any of them had any kind of hospitality training - they didn't seem to know how to interact with guests.
On 3 different occasions, I asked to speak to a hotel manager and spoke to 3 different woman who claimed they were hotel managers. After 2 days of being treated very rudely, I called again and explained that, having worked in the travel industry for 20+ years, I have stayed at hotels ranging from Four Seasons to Best Westerns but never experienced this total lack of customer service. If I asked a question, I was made to fell like ".....what do they want now?.....
Amy (not sure of her title) offered a complimentary glass of wine to try and smooth things over. Again, NOT what I expected of a luxury 5 star hotel. The final straw was after checking out, we went to the outdoor lounge where there was never any type of waitress service for 3 days. If you wanted something from the bar - either food or drink - you had to walk up to a bartender and order. So, our last impression of the hotel was when the bartender wiped down the counter with disinfectant and then put his fingers in the olive tray and then put them in our drinks. That pretty much did it and I felt I had to write about my recent experience. I travel to Newport quite often and will stay at the Hyatt or the Marriott in the future. It's too bad because this property has potential but they really need to employ service oriented staff who are knowledgeable about the hospitality industry not just knowing how to dress fashionably.

Room Tip: Definitely book a water view room. There is no pool for fitness center
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank luvtheislands1219
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed here for two days at the end of June....the views are very Newport and the overall atmosphere is certainly unique...in a good way. As some others have noted its a bit quirky, like no defined front desk, the place is very open and your not always sure where you are going, Its not too big so you can't really get lost, so it doesn't really matter...Associates are not easily identified, but yet they managed to be there whenever you needed something. Our room was smartly decorated and fully stocked. Shower was awesome with multiple shower heads spraying water. Ipads in the room is a nice touch. The bed was comfortable and the linens nice quality. Our dinner was very good and the bar on the dock is a great location to enjoy the evening...It's not a resort type hotel so don't expect resort type amenities...not cheap but nothing in the summer in Newport is a bargain. This isn't place may not be for everyone but I'm sold and will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 3, 2013

After staying a Forty 1 for a few nights, I'm still confused if the owner(s) understand what they're missing.

First, the property is very nice. Nicely appointed, trendy, and really looks much nicer than the webpage. The location is the best in Newport by far - park the car, and you can forget about having to drive for almost everything. The staff are all very friendly, and nice - they have surely collected the nicest looking young men and woman in Newport to work here!

Now with all that said, this is a boutique style property, with what appears to be no management. Again, I'll keep saying this, the staff is very nice, and we had little issue with them personally, but there is a lack of professionalism for this price point. We have stayed all over the world, in old, new, trendy, boutique'y hotels, and some can pull it off, and some can't.

Staff wear no uniforms, nor name tags, and there were a few random people in suits, and business attire, but no one new who they were, and quite frankly did not even acknowledge guests presence. I don't mind a lack of a "front desk", although it's silly really, but one needs to know who actually works at the hotel. Not sure it makes good business sense for staff to abandon MacBooks for a period of time with loads of information about guests (?). Now the nice part is that the actual wait staff are all easily identifiable, so there was no confusion there. Although one has to ask for water, salt & pepper, refills on coffee etc. Once again, there is no one really running the place, it's almost like this is a college class for learn-as-you-go hotel management!

The hotel room itself was okay, way over priced. As others have stated, the music piped throughout the property is trendy and edgy, but playing loudly in the hallways - really? I really like the concept of paperless eco-friendly IPads in the rooms to look at newspapers, and menus, etc. but that all needs a solid WiFi back bone to operate from, and during our stay we were relegated to the lobby for good WiFi. The safe did not work in the room, we promptly reported it, and upon our return it still did not work, but it appeared that they had added one under the bed - huh! There were other things that fell off, or didn't work, but I decided to leave well enough alone, and not complain since for $700+ a night we should not have a anything not be close to perfect.

I won't list my usual Pro's and Con's rundown because I'm still confused with this property, and not sure where to start. In the end, this is a VERY pricey hotel, and unlike other expensive boutique hotels, this one let me down and sadly I'm the one who picked it!

7  Thank David T
Reviewed June 19, 2013

North 41 is a boutique hotel of 24 rooms. Heard about it on The Today Show. Stayed here in late June. Our room had a harbor view. Hotel has a Full bar, great restaurant- 41 Grill- and spectacular views! Service is top notch and most all employees seem to be young, energetic and very service oriented. Save up as prices are rather steep but I found well worth it. Excellent location in heart of Newport within walking distance of many good restaurants and shopping. They Provide transportation to Cliff Walk and Mansions. Will certainly stay here again when in Newport!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel is great. You are in the center of town and right on the harbor. The room was nice and spacious. This is a boutique hotel so there are very few amenities. For the price I would have expected a full water view and excellent services. It's a nice hotel, but way overpriced.

• Stayed: June 2013