“Fantastic! We'll be back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Forty 1⁰ North

Forty 1⁰ North
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Newport
New Canaan, Connecticut
“Fantastic! We'll be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband and I have been to Newport many times. We went for a little getaway in December and our only disappointment was we only stayed one night! The bed, the linens, the pillows, the fireplace, the bathroom, etc were scrumptious! I didn't want to leave the room. Even though it's a slow time of year, the service did not disappoint, in fact they could not have been nicer or more attentive. Beautiful rooms, and common areas! You can't go wrong staying here!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SUSANDONN

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed at a forty 1 north at the beginning of November for what I like to call our "mini-moon" - a quick weekend getaway after our wedding. I found an amazing deal for this hotel on jet setter and I'm so happy I booked it- the price was a little over our budget otherwise. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous- chic & beautifully decorated yet the rooms are still cozy with a comfortable bed and gas fireplace in each room. The location is great- right on the harbor with wonderful views and within walking distance to all that Newport has to offer. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a lovely boutique hotel experience in Newport!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RoseinNY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Overall I was extremely pleased with this hotel. The design and decor are beautifully selected. The staff was friendly and helpful. The bathroom was gorgeous with a full bathtub and separate shower. There were only a few minor problems, no staff once we arrived, empty pepper shaker & I could not figure out how to use the IPod docking station. To the hotels credit I did check in after 10pm in the slowest month of the year. I am sure they we have it together upon my return. Because, yes I am definitely coming back.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Deeroby_1
Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

As you approach the hotel, you would never know what lay beyond the beautiful, oversized front wood doors. As you enter, your first sight is a stunning, wall sculpture made of seashells. Then as you continue into the first floor, you do not enter the typical front desk, rather, you are greeted by friendly staff with macbooks to register you and take you up to your room. The Waterview room is large, airy and comfortable. An Ipad and ipod are ready for your use in the room. The decor is hipster chic, the bed large and inviting, the bar (not free) over-flowing with drinks and snacks, and the large TV above a beautiful gas fireplace. The bathroom is well laid out, the very deep soaking tub a treat (although the water pressure could be upgraded for a faster fill), and the shower a real treat (either overhead or side jets or both at the same time). The main floor of the hotel has a restaurant, a beautiful oval bar, a second smaller bar, two fireplaces with some comfortable seating and a pool table in a separate room. The view of the water is lovely. This is a wonderful hotel for couples looking for a romantic Newport getaway. It is right in the heart of Newport, within walking distance of shops, restaurants and the movie theater. The staff was also very responsive to all of our questions or needs. They even dealt well with the unexpected fire alarm at 9:00 pm, offering us a drink at the bar when we all got back in. A great stay in a great hotel. Excellent value with the special Winter Escape package offered by the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank EC1962
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent two nights here back in October. We were there during the week, so the hotel was fairly empty. We were greeted by name upon arrival, checked in promptly, and were brought up to our room. They had upgraded us, which was a very nice surprise. The room was lovely - beautifully decorated, a comfortable bed, and an amazing bathroom. The room had a balcony that looked out over the marina, which was also lovely. We did have a little glitch getting the iPod to work, but they sent someone up immediately to fix it, and we had no further problems. The iPads were a nice touch as well.

The location is perfect. It was so convenient to everything downtown, there was no need for us to drive anywhere. We enjoyed being able to leisurely enjoy the town as it was our first time there.

We did find the restaurant and bar were a little on the pricey side, but for the quality of hotel, we weren't surprised. Everything was wonderful and we would definitely stay there again on our next visit to Newport.

Room Tip: I can't imagine this hotel has a bad room, but we stayed in one of the harborview suites, and it...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank whino31
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My wife and two friends visited Newport and this truly beautiful hotel over New Year's Eve and spent two days touring the area. Upon our arrival, the beautiful contemporary and stylish designs throughout made an immediate and thorough impression on all of us. In addition, I had read that we could expect impeccable service from the entire staff and we were not disappointed. I have never stayed at another hotel where my presence was more appreciated. it was also apparent that all staff were empowered to do "whatever it takes" to assist and satisfy a guest. Gourmet Restaurant, comfy lounges with fireplaces, pool table room, a beautiful bar, etc. Had we finally arrived at the perfect hotel?

We received our ribboned rock (key) and checked in to the most lavish and seemingly well designed room ever built. At first glance, more oohs and ahhs, as we noticed the large LED flatscreen, a gas fireplace, complementary use of an iPhone and iPad, (though its hard to believe anyone affording these prices wouldn't already own a smart phone), beautiful furniture, and decor of which are evident on hotel pics. Other posts already illustrate how comfortable the bed and chairs are. It just seemed PERFECT!

But then we stayed two days there, and my image of perfection came down a notch, when I realized that if the designers spent a few days there they would have realized some pretty basic omissions.
- no garment bag hook on the wall? No suitcase rack?
- the best shower in the world!!! But it leaks on floor due to tile under door ledge sloping "out"
- a bathroom so perfect... But why is it stocked with mediocre towels
- a stylish bath vanity/mirror with side lights that were under powered. I can appreciate being green, but two $50 overhead cans would have done wonders to help me see myself in the morning
- and is it wrong to expect a vanity mirror in such a bathroom?
- the fireplace put out some real heat but couldn't use it due to the room not going below 74 no matter the thermostat setting. Plus, as soon as I lay down on the bed, I couldn't see the fireplace anyway.

Don't get me wrong. One of the best stays ever, overall. But oh... What it could have been with just a few tweaks.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Rdf3388
OS CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I can't say enough about this spectacular property! We stayed for 3 nights and it was an amazing getaway. Not only is the hotel in a spectacular location and incredibly appointed, the entire management and staff made us feel so welcome and pampered. I can't say enough about the staff--they were professional, personable, attentive and extremely committed to making our stay an amazing experience. They provided spot-on recommendations for dinner (Tallulah and Thames Street Kitchen), provided car service in the MB and were always available, but discreet throughout the stay. We have stayed in some world class hotels and this rivals the level of luxury and service.

The room was gorgeous with a king-sized bed with luxurious linens. The gas fireplace and soaking tub (and Malin & Goetz products) were perfect for the snowy, winter days. Easily one of the most romantic and cozy rooms ever.

We enjoyed drinks at the bar and a game of pool in the parlor...really, would have been perfectly happy to hang out the entire weekend at the hotel.

Usually we go to Newport during the warmer months, but I would travel anytime of year just to enjoy the luxury and pampering of this hotel and it's wonderful staff! Truly an exceptional experience.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a fireplace and soaking tub...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple