“Outstanding Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Wantagh, New York
“Outstanding Hotel”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

My wife and I had a fabulous time at 41 North. The location is excellent and the staff is exemplary. The Seabreeze cottage we stayed in was very roomy and very clean. The Sunday brunch was fantastic. We strongly recommend 41 North.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank dbtraveler58

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I was very excited to stay at Forty1 North, as it came very highly recommended. I was overall disappointed by my stay and wonder if perhaps my decision to stay in the lofts had something to do with that. However, I am uncertain that after this stay I would return or recommend it to others.

The high points-Valet was professional and efficient throughout and the breakfast in the Grille was very good.

The low points- The room. I had expected a certain level of cleanliness comfort and efficiency from such a well recommended hotel. The loft in which we stayed was away from the main building above Christies Restaurant. The area leading to the loft was often unlocked and open to anyone passing by. The door had no peephole. While we were assured of safety, we felt that a missing peephole was a major issue.

The room was not un-clean but it was not immaculate by any stretch. The baseboards were dusty and the bathroom could have used a going over. The bathroom amenities were sparse. There was a door in the bathroom that opened to a very dirty storage space with stacked folding chairs in it. The bathroom window did not open, nor was there an exhaust fan. There is only a standard tub in this room, not a soaking one. The water pressure is good.

The television did not initially work. We called down and a friendly man came and adjusted the cable. However, the television ran a samsung advertizement over half the screen every thirty seconds. We called down again, and again the young man came up. He was unable to fix the issue. So while we had cable we could only see half of any program we wished to watch. The refrigerator also had issues as whenever the fridge was open the freezer opened slightly as well. This was very disappointing.

We had chosen the room because it had several options for sleeping such as 2 pull out sofas and a day bed. Two days before our arrival I requested one of these be made up for sleeping. Upon arrival this had not yet been done. The front desk clerk confirmed this request and assured me it would be done by 9pm. Upon our return after 9 it was not done. By 10 we finally had to call someone to do this for us. This was very disappointing. A housekeeper then came up with sheets, a blanket and an air mattress. I asked her to make up one of the existing beds in the room. After attempting sleep on the pull out sofa I guess I can see why the air mattress would have been a better option. The living room where the sofa is is surrounded by windows that overlook the public space. The lights in this area are never dimmed or shut off. The Venetian blinds do not block out all the light either. Combined with one of the worst mattresses I have ever slept on, this was the worst sleep I have ever had away from home. It was comparable to spending the night in an airport.

The midpoints-I liked the in-room ipad and the provision set-up.

I do wonder if the experience differs when you stay in the main building, and can only assume it does. Otherwise this hotel would not be so widely acclaimed. I would strongly suggest not booking a loft if you do decide to stay here, and am uncertain that I would return.

Room Tip: Stay away from the loft!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank mrsanders30
Brookline, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I got an amazing deal on the Forty 1 North through SniqueAway for a weekend trip in March. Although this is shoulder season for Newport, we had plenty to do and were perfectly located in the center of it all at Forty 1 North.

From the moment we walked in, I was in awe of the amazing and unique--and yet comfortable design. The check-in process had a few kinks -- our room wasn't quite ready when we arrived -- but the front desk staff was friendly and accommodating as we waited in the bar area.

Our rooms had fantastic views (definitely spring for the water view rooms!!), and the bathrooms were amazing. The multi-head showers and deep soaking tub were divine! I wish I had had more time to take advantage! Also, I cannot stop thinking about the gorgeous stemware available for in-room use. Gilded wine glasses, tumblers, rocks glasses, and martini glasses were on display like artwork on the mini bar area.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Erin L
Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

We docked our boat at 41 North marina for the weekend and had an incredible time. The marina is modern and the hotel has more than Any boater could ever need. The dockmaster Mark was great, checking on us regularly.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012
5 Thank Billandmonica1
RI
Reviewed May 14, 2012

My husband and I live in Narragansett RI and periodically take little "vacations" across the bridge to stay at 41North. We always have great service, great food, unbeatable accomodations and an overall wonderful experience any time of year.
DInner is pricey, but worth it, where else do you dine while gazing at a world class harbor, mega yachts and a spectacular bridge?
You have not experienced Newport without experiencing 41 North, its unique!

Room Tip: GO for the waterview! We also loved the red cottage.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank getawayRI
Reviewed May 12, 2012 via mobile

Came with my girlfriend, stayed for two nights. Can often gauge ones experience by how long you stay in the hotel vicinity on check out day -- we were there til sundown. Can also tell a lot about a hotel by the reactions you receive from locals and such when you tell them "I'm staying at ____". Everyone was both impressed and excited about us staying at the city's newest hotel.

Was more than satisfied with service, food, room, grounds. For being so central to everything in Newport this hotel felt secluded and like a waterfront retreat. Grt stay, recommended highly. Will be back during peak (summer).

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Hardshell T
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights , Sat to Tuesday. Nice welcome on arrival and room was certainly very well appointed. The hotel itself is furnished and decorated to a high standard. Sadly, the whole experience was marred by a very poor standard of service . The staff , with the exception of the car valets, were very inexperienced and this showed. Service at breakfast was slow and one morning we had to go and find someone to serve us at all! Security at the front desk was lax and I would suggest that anyone wanting a quiet hotel this summer should look elsewhere as the noise from the bar on Saturday night was heard all over the hotel. For such a lovely hotel, attention to detail was poor. The shower leaked, they forgot to bring hand towels when they serviced the room - they even ran out of orange juice at breakfast. How can any hotel, and especially one of this standard run out of orange juice. I was told at check out that my credit cards had been rejected, they then found out it was a problem with their system but did not even receive an apology. Far too many small problems.

Room Tip: Avoid a city view. They mean the car park....
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple