Forty 1⁰ North
The Attwater(Newport)(Great Value!)
$149
Hotels.com
Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina(Newport)(Great Value!)
$84
  • Pool
Newport Bay Club & Hotel(Newport)(Great Value!)
$149
$134
Hotels.com
Gurney's Newport Resort & Marina(Newport)(Great Value!)
$239
$535
$385
Wellington Resort(Newport)(Great Value!)
$225
All reviewsgrand suiteoval barred cottageharbor view suitesoaking tubboutique hotelguest serviceswet baroff seasonbeautiful hotelgas fireplacewater viewoystersvalet parkingnew englandnewport harborthe entire staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 23, 2011

This newly renovated hotel was a treat for us! With every modern amenity including ipads in every room, the accommodations were practical as well as inviting. Beds were comfy, bathroom was beautiful, our view was great and the service was perfect. All of the staff we met were lovely to deal with and very friendly. And we were also lucky to meet one of the owners, Peter, who treated us to a delicious appetizer at the bar. Kerry the bartender was friendly and sweet, as was Fabrice who manages the restaurant. It was a great experience from the moment we walked into the hotel to the day we left. We would highly recommend Forty 1 North to anyone visiting the area. Absolutely perfect.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Margery O
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Based on the Snique away recommendations, I stayed here in May and was amazed at how beautiful the hotel was. The finishes and all of the details in the room were exceptional. The bathroom, with the tile work and multi-jet shower, was fabulous. I came back and bored all of my friends telling them how great the hotel was. I just went through chemo and thought it would be a good break to go back to Forty 1 North because it had been such a great, relaxing experience. When I made my reservations the rates had gone up significantly (although it was the off season) so I reserved one of the loft suites over Christies restaurant which was slightly less expensive. If you have any mobility problems don't select one of these rooms - my treatments left my joints really sore so the multiple stairs were painful but I guess its my fault for not checking how much climbing I'd have to do ahead of time. The bedroom has a slanted roof so you can't stand up straight. The bathroom looked like the bathroom in my house (which was built in 1933). The loft still had a very comfortable bed, the quality linens and bath products but they just seemed a little out of place with the surroundings. Another nit, but after I stayed there in May I signed up for updates on the hotel and when I made my reservation I noted that I stayed there before however, the woman who assisted me with checking in kept asking me if this was my first time at the hotel. When I stay at "Enormous Chain Hotels", they are able to remember when I have been there before so I would expect that a boutique hotel focused on details would be able to remember a customer - although I will grant you that I don't have a yacht in the marina or spend enough to make me particularly memorable. The rest of the staff was very friendly and helpful during both of my stays. I'd still recommend 41 North but be sure to select your room carefully.

Room Tip: If you want the full boutique experience, stay in the main building.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Dotties_mom
Reviewed November 19, 2011

There is no doubt that Forty 1 North is an expensive place to stay, for any location. But there is also no doubt that its in a great location in the town, with great views, a great ambience and extremly nice rooms.

Our arrival however wasnt great when they didn't place us the specifc Harbour View Suite we booked, hoping I suspect that I wouldnt notice and providing justification which I knew was not true. However to their credit, even though not admitting they got it wrong, they eventually upgraded us to a Grand Suite.

This Suite was absolutely amazing with beautiful views across the harbour, tons of space and furiniture and furnishings of the highest order. It was an extremely comfortable and luxurious room to come back to during and at the end of the day.

The location of Fort 1 also couldnt be better. It's set back from the street which adds to the quietness but is also right in the middle of the major shopping and tourist precinct. As a result everything in Newport is really a very easy stroll away

There are plenty of dining options within minutes although there isnt any supermarket or pharmacy close by. The very popular Red Parrot restaurant is right over the road and the hotels' Christies restaurant is also just a 1 minute walk away (in a separate building).

A drive to other tourist sites like Cliff Walk and the Mansions is also only about 10 minutes away, during which you will also encounter less tourist shopping and supermarkets.

If I even get the chance to get back to Newport I think it would be very difficult to go anywhere else but Forry 1 North. It is expensive by anyones standards and I'm not really sure that the price tag is really justified, but once there its a great place to stay and one that can only add to the fun of visting a really interesting town.

Room Tip: If you can get a view of the harbour, its worth it. But note that the Harbour View Suites with a private balcony are a little smaller than the ones with a shared balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank GazPerth
Reviewed November 7, 2011

Last February (Feb'11) I proposed to my wife at 41 North while staying overnight. We had first visited the hotel the August prior (Aug'10) for drinks. Since February, we have been back for a romantic dinner at the Grill.

We really like the hotel and obviously it has special meaning for us.

-The location is perfect, right in the midst of Newport and Thames
- The hotel room was meticulously clean
- Its a sheek, hip, modern, hotel - leed certified - proving efficiency can be beautiful
- Expect high end fixtures, beautiful furnishings, and a great bed
- The Grill staff is perfect...so many standouts and great food
- The true deep soaking tub, glass shower, private comode are highlights of the bath
- The bedroom had a great bar as well

The hotel is very chic and popular which means drinks are expensive and their is the occasional snob BUT this does not reflect upon the hotel. The hotel staff is great. Drinks arent cheap but youre paying for creative drinks, great service and an amazing view. Few hotels are perfect, we were pleased with and I would recommend 41 North. I did read complaints about noise, we visited in February (obviously quieter by default), and found our stay quiet.

Overall, we were very pleased. If I'm not staying at 41 North...I will be drinking or eating there.

Room Tip: Eat at the Grill, drink at the circle bar and order truffle fries (amazing)
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin L
Reviewed October 29, 2011

First, my back-story. I am a local and have been to 41 North for drinks on the deck and dinner at the Grill.... expensive, but you have to do it once, in the summer and just take in the view, the decor and the feeling of exclusivity just being there. OK, so we were attending a fundraising event and decided to book a room because we would be drinking, it was off season and we had always wanted to stay here and enjoy the whole experience that is suppose to be "Everything you would expect in a world class resort" as their web page reads. My boyfriend went online to first reserve tickets for the event, clicked the “Buy Tickets” link, put date and name of event in subject line, followed by a brief email requesting 2 tickets to (again) the date and name of the event. He received an email back telling him no problem, the price, the charge card form and as he continued to read, he realized it was not the same event, different dates and names, he replied back with the correction and was told that by this person, she was not the one handling the event we wished to purchase tickets for, he explained the link took him to her....she then called him to say, she was sorry and after checking, she was in fact the person he needed to speak with. So he fills out the paperwork, etc and is charged a different price then the event is advertised for, we check to verify the price and he lets the person know and she corrects the amount. OK, it happens, I understand...but it continues. He books the room at $425.00 plus taxes for a Thursday night in October, we are staying at the Seabreeze cottage, which is on property, short walk away and now we are getting excited. As the event gets closer, actually a few nights away, he goes back to the website to check on spa's services, (again, we want the whole experience for our 1 night stay) he notices the room rate has changed to $275.00, so he calls and request a price adjustment, he is told the higher rate is a weekend rate, he explains it's a Thursday night and not a weekend and after some back and forth, the rate is changed. OK, great!, we arrive, he goes to check in and is told by the guest service person that all adjustments have been made to his charges and he can just sign here....he looks at the statement and notices the room rate was not adjusted, so he points it out and she takes it back, goes into the back room and comes back with an apology and the corrected statement. On a positive note, David in valet was great! Ok, she walks us to the room and gives us the nickel tour and the usual, any questions, just call the front desk. Great, we are ready! We check out the space, first it is very spacious, nice kitchen area, no complimentary anything…no bottle water, no coffee, weird mini bar (see photos) and very underused and under decorated. All the walls, upstairs and down are the same bone white color, there is 1 picture on the living room wall and 2 what looks like oversized hot plates on the dining room wall (see photos) the couch is wicker and not comfortable at all and the color is also bone white and can clearly see it's needs to be washed, the ottoman has stains on it, there is no coffee table so no where to your put drinks, there is 1 end table with a lamp with a cracked, dented lampshade. There is a small room with a trundle bed, quaint and cute, OK, lets go see upstairs!, it's loft style so no door and 1 bathroom and it's upstairs, so if there is someone else staying there, they have to go upstairs to use the bathroom and shower.. The room is nice, it's big, the bed is super comfy, the headboard is off white and dirty, see photos, the weird part is again, the bathroom, the whole unit is big, over 1100 sq ft so having 1 bathroom is odd enough but it's so small, with no vanity, it has a pedal stool sink and a small glass shelf that is attached right on the mirror, not very well thought out. (See photos) about the only updated thing in the room was the ipad and that was great. We order a light lunch from room service, it was very good and what we didn't finish went into garbage disposal, we turned it on and thought it was going to blow up, something was in there, turned if off and checked, there were 4 beer bottle caps, grinding away..again, I get things happen but it's little by little, it doesn't align with what they are trying to be or advertise and it certainly doesn't align with the prices they charge. We went to the event, it was really nice, what a difference between the wait staff and guest services, everyone was attentive, really nice, did all the right things, our water was never empty, the dishes cleared right way, napkins, refolded or replaced, the dining room/ event manager, Dawn was fabulous, again, just on top of things and you could tell, she knew what she was doing. The food was outstanding; the shorts ribs were the best we ever had, not one complaint about the event or dinner. Check out is 11:00, we have the next day off and sleep in, until the maid lets herself into our room around 9:00 and yells to see if anyone is here, basically waking us up, we yell back that we are there and she leaves….I’m sorry, did we check out? Again, does anyone in guest services talk to anyone else? So to end my review of the our stay the main building is chic, modern, really well designed, state of art everything, plush furniture, etc, I am trying to figure out why this space is so bland, under decorating, under furnished, etc, it definitely does not say "World class resort", the chain hotels are better decorated than this place. So, that is my conflict with this place, they spent millions of dollars and advertise style, service, experience and it simple fell flat on all 3. It’s like they ran out of money after completing the main building. They clearly are in need of a manger that is better suited to run this type of boutique hotel, the guest service people do not communicate, they seem very disorganized and clearly do not have the experience or training that one would expect for this type of hotel, most appear to be college aged. It was not about the money for us, we wanted the 41 North experience and we left confused about what it really is.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple