“Amazing Hotel!”
Review of Forty 1⁰ North

Forty 1⁰ North
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Stayed with friends at the hotel, and had an amazing time. Location is great, the view from the hotel rooms was amazing, and they have a great hotel bar for late nights. The room had a Wii, iPad, and ipod with speakers. Highly rec!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 21, 2011

I have stayed at MANY places in Newport RI over the years and I have been to 41 North before for dinner and drinks and absolutely loved it, so I was really looking forward to staying in the hotel. This is by far the best place I have stayed so far.

I went down for a one night "get out of town" trip with a friend and had a great time. The service was excellent, the valet took our bags and check in was a breeze, we were escorted to our room and by the time we arrived at the room, our bags were already there and some low background music was playing. The rooms are beautifully decorated with all modern amenities: flat screen TV, integrated iPod docking station with a fully loaded iPod, and iPad for guests use. A library of books and magazines, full mini bar/fridge with lots of options, gorgeous bar and stemware, the bathroom was beautiful with a glass shower, separate tub, double sink and private toilet area and high end toiletries - It had all the comforts of home... a really really nice home!

The only con I could find was that the iPod docking station was a little tricky to figure out at first and we had to call the front desk so the instructions need to be a little better. And although it was fully loaded with music, there were limited play-lists, so we had to keep finding songs and playing them one by one - but that's really a stretch for a 'con' - LOL.

The other con was that you have to valet your car which I am not crazy about in general. The hotel was definitely not full and the parking lot was pretty empty, I am perfectly capable of parking my own car and prefer to not have to leave my keys with someone. Plus for the price of the rooms, parking should be complimentary and valet an option OR only mandatory on busy/full weekends

Other than that, I loved my stay and was sad that it was only 1 night! Can't wait to go back again...

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 21, 2011

This hotel reminded us a lot of the Gansevoort properties. Very chic and modern with a lovely outdoor bar area for sipping cocktails near the water. It's very central so you can walk everywhere. Lovely fireplaces throughout; I can imagine it's cozy there in the winter, too. The rooms are lovely - equipped with iPads, flat screens and stocked mini bars. We got engaged in the room and then had room service. Perfect. We also got a lovely note from management congratulating us on our engagement. The bartenders (especially Marco) and waitresses were all very lovely, too.

The only criticism I have is that the restaurant menus are not too accommodating for vegetarians. We dined at Tallulah on Thames and loved it, as well as Brick Alley.

I wondered if rooms located near the outside bar could hear the noise. Fortunately, we had a corner room far away from the action, which, as New Yorkers, we appreciated because we were looking for quiet.

Would definitely go back. It's Newport's best gem! (next to my engagement ring, of course)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2011

My wife and I stayed here recently in a loft suite for the weekend. From the moment we checked in until departing, our experience was nothing short of outstanding. The staff was professional, efficient and downright friendly. I'm particularly impressed that they would remember to greet me by name when I came and went. The room was clean, nicely furnished, and the bed one of the most comfortable ones I have slept on. The bathroom was spectacular. I wished that I could spend more time in there. An added perk was the fact that it's a green hotel, and you have the use of an iPad instead of menus and pamphlets to clutter up your room.

I look forward to my next stay in Newport, as I will be choosing 41 North without question.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ackdog1
Reviewed June 17, 2011

My visit to the hotel/retaurant was an experience like no other. Upon arriving, I was greated by a great staff; very friendly, helpful and most importantly, welcoming. I was lucky enough to recieve a personal tour of the grounds. The design of the hotel is breathtaking. It is clear how much time, effort and thought was put into the design; from the tiles and millwork, to the amazing circular bar, right down to the menu covers. Your eyes keep getting surprised at every turn. Then the restaurant. The food was AMAZING. Again, so much attention to detail. There is such a great feeling, flow and a wonderful atmosphere, I didn't want to leave!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Both my husband and I loved this hotel. The service was fantastic. The room was on the small side but decorated very nicely and the bathroom was a good size. The bed was very comfortable. Hotel amenities are great! Ipad and Ipod in the room. Since it was cold and pouring rain the entire time we were in Newport we enjoyed the fireplace in the room and the fireplace and pool table in the lobby. The hotel has some great little "nooks" that we would have loved to check out if it was nice outside! The only problem I had with this hotel was the club music that we could hear for most of the night. It was so loud that we couldn't watch TV or listen to our own music. So, if you are not a night owl, don't stay here. If you like to party until the wee hours then this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room (if one exists).