“If you have the time, do more than one”
Review of Newport Mansions

$780.00*
Private Day Trip From Boston to the Newport Mansions
Ranked #1 of 58 Tours in Newport
More attraction details
Owner description: In Newport, RI, the leading architects of the 19th and early 20th centuries built magnificent mansions for the nation's social and financial elite. These "summer cottages" provided the backdrop for a society centered on sport, fashion and parties in settings of spectacular natural beauty. Ten of these properties have been preserved by The Preservation Society of Newport County and are open to the public. From the homes of a colonial merchant and leading China traders of the Victorian era, to the great Italian and French Renaissance palaces of the Gilded Age, these houses span over 250 years of American architectural and social history.Visit the Newport Mansions: The Breakers, Marble House, Rosecliff, Chateau-sur-Mer, The Elms, Isaac Bell House, Kingscote, Chepstow, Hunter House, and Green Animals Topiary Garden.
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We were in Newport right after Memorial day weekend and there were no crowds. Everyone wants to see the Breakers, but for only a little extra money you can do any five, which I would highly recommend. We did the Breakers,Marble House,Rosecliff,Elms,and Chateau Sur Mer.

2  Thank nabman11
There are newer reviews for Newport Mansions

Reviewed June 3, 2011

I agree with several of the posters here that these homes are a great display of an excess of wealth. But one must remember that social equality was simply not in fashion at the time when these homes were built and used. That aside, I was impressed with the quality of the audio tour (where available) and even more impressed with the staff and the houses. The staff was entirely helpful - offering to take a picture of our group when they encountered us on the grounds at one house, answering questions about specific features of a room that were not covered on the audio tour. The audio tour was very good. The signage to help visitors navigate was also good. I would say that if you are in Newport, you must see The Breakers. The other mansions are nice to see if you have the time.

3  Thank SecretDane
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I have always enjoyed architecture; particularly the victorian era; however, to see mansions; sorry cottages; such as these built to live in for only a few months every year was disturbing considering the times when they were built. I realize I am in the minority and I apologize if I offend anyone with my comments; but, for me I found spending millions of dollars to show off ones wealth is not for me.

5  Thank Merrymonk
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Can't imagine why anyone would spend money on creating these white elephants, but it is still a great way to look back at the Gilded Age. A bit pricey, but definitely a unique experience.

1  Thank viajeroso71
Reviewed May 17, 2011

Only had time to check out one of the mansions while visiting Newport, RI. And was told by locals, If you are going to see just one, this has to be the one. Fabulous tour, stunning property, very interesting history. This is where I learned that Anderson Cooper from CNN is part of the Vanderbilt family, had no idea. Definitely worth the time and money for a visit. It is a self guided tour with a pre recorded device and headphones. Very well thought out tour, they also add additional fascinating stories to the tour if you have the time to listen. Big 2 thumbs up. No pictures are allowed to be taken inside, so do not have any to post.

6  Thank Lvv2trvl