“One of the nicest beachs in New England!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Newport Ocean Drive Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #38 of 109 things to do in Newport
More attraction details
Owner description: Located along the legendary Ocean Drive in Newport, RI, Gooseberry Beach is a private beach club open to the public. Come and enjoy the most beautiful beach in Newport, with its white sand and clear calm ocean waters. Gooseberry is the perfect family beach for swimming, snorkeling or building sand castles. We have chair rentals, changing rooms, and showers for our guests. Open 9-5. Visit Gooseberry Cafe which offers great beach food.
New Rochelle, NY
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“One of the nicest beachs in New England!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Perfect crescent shaped, fine white sand and interesting rock outcropping off the beach and you might think you are in Bermuda. This is a beautiful beach and the snack bar is pretty good. As with all newport beaches, it's $20 to park but well worth it.

1 Thank Tlivac

Branchburg, New Jersey
117 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 147 helpful votes
“A Great Day on the Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

The other reviewers are right on target when they mention the parking, bathroom facilities, changing rooms, and outdoor shower facilities. On Saturday afternoon we had to wait about thirty minutes before we were allowed into parking area. We went to the beach with our 5 year old grandson. During our time there we built a large fort using beach sand. We had a pool of water in the center of the fort and here we placed a hermit crab that we found in the water. It was very exciting for young children to observe the crab in its natural habitat. The beach was not overcrowded. Most families set up their chairs away from the beach and this provided a large space for children and adults to run and play. The water was a little choppy the day we were there; however, there were no large waves to contend with. Yes, there are many types of seaweed in the water, but we didn't find it bothersome. This is an excellent beach for families.

3 Thank LiJo4145
Acton, MA
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Great spot away from the crowds of 2nd Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2013

It's $20 to park but that's Newport and once you've made the very short walk from your car to the beach, you'll be glad you paid it. As others have said it's a cove so no rip-roaring waves here but the beach doesn't seem to get as insanely crowded because parking lot is in proportion to the size of the beach. We were there on the most glorious summer day you could imagine, the lot was full and there was still plenty of space between each group of people.
Sand is soft and clean, bathrooms are only a 2 minute (at most) walk from where ever you plunk down and they have chair/umbrella/boogie board rentals.
I've seen some comments about the seaweed but this is Newport and the red seaweed is always going to be there. I will forever eschew 2nd beach now that I've finally come here.

1 Thank Reservationfor2
New Jersey
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Calm and relaxing....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

My family didn't come here expecting it to be the best beach. We are used to ocean beaches and knew this was in a cove...so we expected little wave action. I had read some bad reviews and wonder if people realize that there are days at the beach where there are more bugs or the water is extra 'dirty' with seaweed. It's a natural environment.

We were lucky that the 2 days we were here we had a seabreeze which kept bugs away. The water had quite a bit of seaweed but it's a cove, it's expected. My kids didn't mind it.

Overall, very nice experience...the water was calm,so the kids could run and play catch.

It does cost $20 to park...but some beaches charge for admittance per person, so we dealt with it.

It was crowded on our second visit but the beach was big enough to accommodate without seeming like everyone was on top of you.

The kids enjoying finding hermit crabs and skimming rocks.

Scenery is beautiful with big houses and rock formations.

They have a snack bar which wasn't cheap - but nothing was cheap in Newport lol.

Overall, I recommend...families with little kids especially as it's like an ocean beach at super low tide.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank gouldy71
Fort Benning, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Pleasant Day at the Beach with Incredible Views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

My what a relaxing day at the beach. $20 to park but unlike other beaches in the area not too far to walk from the car. Gooseberry Beach is off Ocean Drive and is a protected cove which limits the waves. I'm from Florida so I am used to Gulf Coast beaches with white sand and water so clear you can see your feet and anything else in the water. Northern Beaches have been quite an adjustment with the dark water and brown sand. The beaches in Newport are covered with seaweed. Depending on the day it can be pretty bad with red stuff floating in the water which adheres to your skin. I think that is what the previous review was speaking about as I did not see any creatures. I gave the beach a four because of the seaweed. Today was a good day, it wasn't too bad and the breathtaking view more than made up for it. The cove is surrounded by green space and beautiful homes hugging, rocky cliffs. There are some rocks you can climb on and some that are off limits. My son and I swam out to a set and explored. Lots of fun. There is also a platform you can swim out to and dive off of. Facilities included two unisex bathrooms which seemed to always have a line. Two outdoor showers and four changing rooms. The concession stand was clean with a cute staff and a sufficient beach menu. I found the prices reasonable for Newport. $3 for a hotdog and most expensive $6 for a large, bacon, cheeseburger. Frozen treats $3 or less. Our family truly enjoyed themselves today and it looked like the rest of the visitors did as well.

Visited July 2013