“Margarittaville”

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2013

This place was literally a stones throw from our hotel, so we had to pop in to see what it was like. With it being folk festival weekend it was packed full of people. We sat at the bar, because the wait for tables was going to be a while. We started off with margaritas which were pretty potent. The English barmaid certainly knew how to mix a drink, and worked non stop the whole time we were in there. We got a recommendation from the couple next to us for the lobster flan, which we had, and was amazing. So good in fact we recommended it to the next people sitting there. I also had the duck tamale with mole, which is as amazing as it sounds. Also, we had avocado fries, yucca fries, tacos and enchilladas. Everything was cooked perfectly. I would recommend this place to everyone.

1  Thank Ian K

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This restaurant is in an old house, very charming. The service was a little slow, but friendly. The food was a little pricey for the portions. I wish it had free chips & salsa. The margaritas were small but tasty. We both had dishes with the braised short ribs and the meat was delicious, just wish we had more of it.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Pricey for a Mexican restaurant and no free chips & salsa. That said, the $13 three scallop appetizer was the best I ever had. The craft beers were very good, margaritas were small but good and the food very flavorful. I had a quesadilla with braised short rib meat that was very flavorful. The inside seating is kind of crowded and dark. Sit outside if you can. The waitstaff was also excellent.

1  Thank Dan_the_Man_Staziak
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We go to Perro Salado about six times a year and have enjoyed each authentic entrée and appetizer. Some of the best on the island.

1  Thank steve f
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My husband and REALLY looked forward to our dinner at Perro Salado in our timeshare week in Newport. The colonial ambiance was lovely; margaritas were great. Chips and salsa were ordinary and overpriced. The sticky ribs were falling off the bone, but a bit too cloyingly sweet. My husband had the skirt steak which was small, but very tasty; the plate was way overloaded with fried plantains that looked like the plantain version of a tater tot. 20% meat, 80% plantains. I ordered the $18 pork tamale, the most expensive tamale I ever ate and expected something special. Unfortunately, the tamale was bone dry with a small amount of dry pulled pork. Very disappointing, I left most of it in my plate. Maybe it was a bad night or we just ordered the wrong items. That said, I would return here for drinks and apps at the bar on our next trip.

2  Thank Judyann A