“Good, unique Mexican restaurant. Solid 4 1/2 star, but couple of average dishes made me go with a four.”
Review of Perro Salado

Perro Salado
Ranked #30 of 243 Restaurants in Newport
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We went for restaurant week, which is a great way to experience Newport. The shrimp skewers were dry. Empenadas and Tamale were just okay. The fried green tomato salad was very good. The enchiladas good. The lava cake was amazing with the mango cream- really one of the best deserts I have ever had! The setting was charming- quaint old house. Parking was very difficult.

There are newer reviews for Perro Salado

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Very nice Mexican influenced food. The restaurant is unfinished wood and rough hewn decor, but service was prompt and expert, and the food was surprisingly subtle and creative. I really felt like we had stumbled into a gem

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We were all visiting from New York so we have high standards when it comes to brunch. After leaving the White Horse Tavern because they were in the midst of restaurant week and therefore were not providing brunch (small tip guys if your place is absolutely dead inside then you should probably think again about forcing your set menu on people) we stumbled across a quaint looking Mexican restaurant, initially I wasn't convinced there would be much on offer but the menu was clever and inviting which encouraged us to stay. From the eggs to the mimosas to the stunning jalapeño hash browns the whole experience was a delight. Summed up against the cost which was reasonable to say the least, this place was a delight.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

My husband and I, having visited Newport in the past, had eaten at Perro Salado before. This trip, we brought friends with us. The first place we thought to dine was this restaurant. From the moment we walked in we were greeted with a smile. We ordered a pitcher of margaritas. Tonya, our waitperson, was phenomenal in knowing the ingredients and how each dish was prepared, since I am gluten and lactose intolerant. The butternut squash appetizer and a salad with the huge pieces of lobster was delicious. I ordered the scallops, my friend ordered the mahi mahi, my other friend ordered the skirt steak and my husband had quesadillas. All were delicious. Then came dessert. Flan and Tres Leches were ordered. Absolutely delicious.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Perro Salado is also on the regular rotation for hubby and me - it is "new mexican" - the entrees are mexican inspired and the old standard mexican choices like enchiladas or guacamole are delicious. In the summer the outdoor patio under the big tree is a great spot. I also like the back bar area for eating dinner. Don't miss a blood orange margarita!