“Checked out early”
Review of Mill Street Inn

Mill Street Inn
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed October 20, 2006

My husband and I wanted a small getaway for our honeymoon and decided upon this hotel. I don't have any major complaints about this hotel, but I would stay elsewhere if I went to Rhode Island. The weekday rates are average about $150 dollars but the weekend rates are $250 a day! We were originally going to treat ourselves and stay through Saturday, but changed our minds. The major gripe about this hotel is the lack of ammenities for the price. No exercise room, little to no food service (you clean up after yourself at the continental breakfast), no room service and no one offered to help us with our bags (which we would decline if offered, but the gesture would have been nice). The history of the building is nice enough, but my husband and I both noted that the interior was ultra-modern. It lacked the charm of the surrounding area. Furniture is very minimalistic and I definitely agree that the air conditioning was basically non-existent. Again, that's something you expect when your paying $300 dollars for two nights stay. The hotel had seen better days too. We walked down the side staircase and saw extensive water damage to the ceilings, faulty wiring, junction boxes dangling from the ceiling (f.y.i. my husband is an electrical engineer) and that same hallway was used as storage area. Meaning the maids cart was there as well as large pictures that were propped against the walls, broken furniture as well as roll away beds and strollers, exposed styrofoam insulation tucked in the ceiling and also boxes. Aside from the hotel price, the reason we decided to cut our trip short was that most shops and even restaurants closed at 5-6pm! I'd recommend the area as a day trip, maybe to see the mansions and take pictures of the ocean but not for much else.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lornkins
There are newer reviews for Mill Street Inn

Reviewed October 8, 2006

Great historic building and the location was fantastic, close to many attractions and the night life. The decor is modern, but felt ...unfinished. The walls lacked ...anything. Room layout was kool initially, but functionally turned into awkward. Rooftop deck has a killer view of the harbor! As for the breakfast...snackup, then go and get some real food. Felt the place was over priced.
The Staff covered the rating gambit; Mark, the night guy, was friendly & fun, but is was downhill from there. Would I stay there again...probably, but only after checking other nearby establishments first. PS: get those cool old black & white photos of the original building out of the basement and hang them in the lobby.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank winexpress
Reviewed September 29, 2006

We (four older ladies) stayed at the Mill Street Inn and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our rooms were more than we expected. One had a separate bedroom and living area. Both had lovely furnishings with king sized beds and king couch COMFORTABLE pullout beds. The beds had thick fluffy down comforters and all the furniture looked new and in great shape. There were new drapes in each room and the atmosphere was as if we were in a New York loft. The staff was very accomodating by offering to carry our luggage, call for reservations, etc. The best part of the Mill Street Inn is its location. It is within minutes of walking distance (even for older ladies) to MANY wonderful restaurants, stores, and the visitors' center. We really enjoyed our stay and would love to come back!

1  Thank librarylady43
Reviewed September 20, 2006

My fiance and I stayed here for one night during a quick trip through New England. We both found the place an excellent experience. We had a suite which had its own private balcony overlooking the harbour. We took advantage of the views as much as we could. The hotel normally serves breakfast on the roof terrace in the summer but as we were off-peak, they had no problem with us getting our breakfast and taking it to the roof to enjoy the Indian Summer weather. Nothing like the fresh sea air to start the day.

The location was ideal and it was easy to find - plus, the fact that it had free underground parking was a nice bonus. The hotel was in easy walking distance of everything we wanted to see. I know a few other reviewers complained about the construction noise but we were untroubled by any sounds. I don't feel I can legitimately gripe about the churchbells waking us up in the morning.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jbb26
Reviewed September 4, 2006

We'd never been to Newport, and we wanted to stay in a hotel in the center of town, which this is. The hotel is clean, but the curtain on our window was ripped and just left hanging there. The bed was comfortable, the bathroom adequate, but there was construction noise next door from early in the morning through most of the day. When we had dealings with the people at the desk for routine matters, they were brusque and not very welcoming. The continental breakfast is served in a windowless basement room. Not terribly pleaant.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GeorgeByron
Reviewed September 1, 2006

We just got back from a stay at the Mill Street Inn. We had a junior suite (the lowest version) on the first floor. Below are the pros and cons about our stay:

Pros:
1) Location, location, location. We were able to walk to most places. The web site says that it is within walking distance to the Cliff Walk and the Mansions, but we thought both were rather far and decided to drive instead.
2) Free continental breakfast (bagels, cereal, fruit, muffins, etc.) and free cookies in the afternoon. Can't complain about anything free. (The roof deck was cool, but we didn't really use it because the weather wasn't great during our stay.)
3) Free parking. A bit tight for our SUV in the underground garage, but again... can't complain about free.
4) Free wireless Internet. Some hotels charge up to $10 per connection!
5) Room size. The hotel is all suites and even though we had the smallest version, there was still plenty of room for two people... four people might be tight.

Cons:
1) They decided to replace a fire escape staircase during our stay RIGHT OUTSIDE OUR ROOM. We were woken up the first day at 8am. I called the front desk and she told me she was sorry and that the construction would only last one day. Well, the next day came and so did the workers! This time it was around 9:15am, but the weather wasn't great and we would have liked to sleep in! My husband called the front desk this day and again he said it would only last this day and kind of blew him off. (We actually think this was the manager since we saw him sitting at the desk when we headed down for breakfast.) They worked until after 6pm and still came back the next morning! Of course, our last day there they were gone. We were never warned about the construction and no one at the hotel offered to give us anything to make up for it. This is the major reason that I only gave it a rating of 2.
2) The ceiling is very thin! We heard the people walking around upstairs all of the time. I would not get a room on the 1st floor if I went back.
3) The furniture was uncomfortable and the sheets were like sandpaper. The couch in the living room was very trendy, but not comfortable to sit on. Also, the sheets were so "crisp" I couldn't sleep under them.
4) Not as clean as I would have liked. The ceiling fan in the bedroom was COVERED in dust when we got there. I didn't even want to turn it on. I asked them to clean it and they did. Also, the bathroom never felt/looked as clean as it should have been...

We would probably stay there again because it wasn't terribly expensive and the location is great. I would only stay here if we were going for a 3-4 night stay. I don't think I could stay there for a week...

Stayed: August 2006
1  Thank jrsygirl
Reviewed August 24, 2006

In Spite of a few minor kinks, overall a great hotel!!

Let me start by saying that I read the postings on "Trip Advisor" anytime I travel, and find a lot of truths, although there are always "malcontents". I am from the NY metro area, so I am very VERY picky about hotels and dining. The postings regarding Mill Street were WAY too critical, although there were some truths.

Let me start with the few problems, so that I am being totally upfront:
1. As other reviewers commented, the air conditioning could prove to be a problem on a warn night. We had a townhouse suite, and there was only air conditioning in the upstairs bedroom. It is a good thing that my kids do not like the air, and the nights at the end of August are pretty cool. Air conditioner unit is very small and very noisy.
2. Couch in livingroom is very uncomfortable.
3. Overall, front desk staff is "inattentive", To say they are rude, is quite frankly, unfair, but it is absolutely true, as others have written, that no one really goes out of their way at the front desk.

Still, in spite of all of this, I would definately stay here again for several reasons:

1. Great value, especially the "See Newport" package that is offered.
2. Very pretty and very clean. Rooms were spotless.
3. The beds are super comfortable.
4. The townhouse suite was so lovely and spacious. My mom stayed here, too and had a deluxe suite that was also spacious (but again, that air conditioning is a real problem there, too...it is in the livingroom and not the bedroom!)
5. As many others have stated, the location cannot be beat.

I am glad that I didn't listen to the very critical folks who wrote in about this place, although, I did find some of the complaints to be fair. In the end, I think most will feel that this place is a good deal for the money.

As an aside, with the package, we ate at 22 Bowens...again the reviews were quite critical, and again, we loved this place...yes it was pricey (even with the $120 in gift certificates that we got with our package), but then again, when ISN'T a good steak house expensive! Food and service were better than average. Have I had better? Yes, but this was still a very good steak house...very consistant quality from appetisers to desserts! Don't miss this place!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank jljlalal