“Great experience all around”
Review of Mill Street Inn

Mill Street Inn
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Rhode Island
“Great experience all around”
Reviewed August 25, 2009

My husband and I met up with friends for the weekend in Newport and we all enjoyed our stay at the Mill Street Inn. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, they have immense knowlege of Newport's attractions and restaurants and were very helpful in aiding us in selecting activities and restaurants geared towards our preferences. The rooms were clean, comfortable and modern. The location was great and in walking distance to everything in downtown Newport. We look forward to visiting Newport again and staying at the Mill Street Inn.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
New York
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I found the Mill Street Inn in a travel magazine and thought I'd give it a look on the web. From the time I saw the website I knew I had found my destination for my romantic getaway! I called very late at night (1am or so) and spoke to John to inquire about a stay there, he was very knowledgeable and thoughtful. I called back the next night to book and he remembered me and went above and beyond with my accommodations!

Upon our arrival, I was concerned about the parking- the lot was small and full- but the front desk informed us we could park in the handicap spot, as there were no handicapped guests there.

Entering our Townhouse Suite was a treat! and a bottle of wine sat chilled awaiting our arrival. The room design was modern and contemporary with a breath of the Mill from the brick wall. When walking upstairs to the bedroom we delighted to see such a clean white, HUGE bed! It had a feather top and was exquisite to sleep on! (So much so, that we did not want to depart from our slumbers there) The bathroom was redone in Marble and the shower had two portals for the heads- one which was adjustable and the other fixed. It housed luxurious Aveeda rosemary products- which rejuvenated and refreshed! Our patio overlooked the harbor, with GORGEOUS views including the top of a church and sunsets were such a treat!.

The Mill Street in is centrally located and you can walk everywhere! We had bought our own snacks to put in the fridge, but craved a warm late night snack. We asked the front desk for a recommendation and were able to get food delivered to the room at midnight!

Their breakfast spread was perfectly enjoyable and the afternoon tea quaint, with the service staff so accommodating and once again- the views! because breakfast was served on the patio.

Our whole trip was incredible and we would DEFINITELY revisit the Mill Street Inn! Also female manager (whose name escapes me currently) was so very helpful in directing us for sights to see and things to do in Cape Cod. BTW- they have free WIFi!

It would be in your best interest to vacation here, for a girls weekend, or a romantic getaway, or even a family trip! we stayed during the week and got a EXCELLENT weekday rate! Hope this review helps in your traveling plans! be well and enjoy Newport!

We give the Mill Street Inn 5 stars! an exceptional small luxury hotel that exceeded all expectations!

PS- visit the Newport Potters Guild and see the owner Doug- he was so helpful in assisting in our adventures!

1 Thank davidn82
New York
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I recently was surpised with a trip to Newport by my husband, He found the Mill Street Inn on the web at frist he said he was worried about staying there due to reading some bad reviews But once we arrived we were at ease with his, choice!!!
Upon arrival we we greeted VERY WARMLEY by Siren and What a Joy she was, she filled us in the Inn and surronding things to do she made us feel like we were old friends, Upon getting into our room 214 we were in awe it was beautiful !!! I can Not say enough on the Bed!!! If i could have I would have put in my trunk Just Pure HEAVEN.
The Showers were also a dream !!! on our frist Morning we met the GM Dean Maki again we felt like old friends, we where shown the upstairs roof top deck for our breakfast , Besides the AWESOME VIEW, we were again surpised by the breakfast spread and I do mean spread fresh fruits and nuts breads YUMMY jams and such, we found the staff Frontdesk and housekeeping warm freindley and willing to the EXTRA MILE to make our stay the BEST!!! I'm really not sure why there have been some bad reviews about this Inn. because I'm here to say the JUST not TRUE!!!!

NYC Area
Reviewed August 16, 2009

In the high season this is a very expensive place for what you get. The whole experience makes me wish I had listened to my better senses and chosen a Hyatt or a Westin type property. This is the third time I've stayed here, so I don't consider this a random review.

- Make-shift air conditioning. Including a super-loud freestanding model in the sitting area. It actually leaked water as well.

- Two cool looking side chairs that actually sagged through to the floor when you sit in them (and I am average size/weight).

- Maid didn't show up during our two day stay.

- No vending machines.

- No gym.

- No place to plug in modern devices (like computers and cell phones) in case you happen to use those.

- No thought to child proofing this place. The sharp edges on the waste baskets (which are a cool looking aluminum which some fool thought was an important touch) could easily cut a child's throat. Sharp edges on the bedside tables (sheet metal?)

- The Aveda products in the bathroom and the bed itself are the high points. Take as many as you can (of course, our maid didn't show up on the second day so we had limited opportunities).

- Nice flat screen TV

- Pokey little underground garage. I had to park the car (just an ordinary VW wagon) for my wife because of all of the support poles. For this price they should have a valet.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank travelingfamilyNYC
Plymouth, MA
Reviewed August 14, 2009

We ended up deciding to come to Newport at the last minute and another friend had recommended the Mill Street Inn. It was not what we expected...it was better. It's not the traditional fluffy and flowery small hotel or bed and breakfast. The walls are brich and there is a lot of wood and stone, almost Scandinavian in design. I think it used to be a fire station or lumber company or something like that. The rooms were clean and the bed was really, really comfortable, there ws a sofa, flat screen TV, robes, iron and a really nice bathroom with an awesome shower and Aveda products. Breakfast was really terrific, it was served on the roof overlooking Newport harbor and the bridge. The had all kinds or granola, nuts, fresh fruit, breads, yogurt and fresh squeezed orange juice. It was very unique. The Inn is just 2 blocks walk from the waterfront and dowtown Newport. We are seasoned travelers and this is the kind of hotel you might expect to find in Europe, very casual and comfortable. The staff was very freindly, especially James, and we will certainly stay again and recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed August 11, 2009

This Inn had a wonderful location - very convenient and in a nice neighborhood. The Townhouse Suite, however, hadn't much to recommend it. The downstairs living room was very small and dark, even in the daytime, with only the stairway window for natural light. The bedroom and bath were on the second level, a bit airier, but still not spacious. There was almost constant noise from the mini-fridge and the air conditioning unit (we eventually unplugged the fridge and went without AC). The ceiling fan upstairs also would not turn off. The view was nice, but the balcony was tiny and totally enclosed by a solid wall with other units too close by. Parking was very tight and if you have a big vehicle you might not be able to fit in the spaces provided.
Granted, Newport can be expensive, but at 350$ per night, this Inn was NOT worth the price. Breakfast was passable, nothing special. We would look for another place in the same area, but not return to the Mill Street Inn

Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed August 11, 2009

“I am a "Newporter" by birth and by heart and soul, who tries to come "home" almost every year. I usually stay w/ family when in town, but had the opportunity to stay at the Inn this summer for a weekend w/ my husband and kids. I couldn't say enough to my family and friends about how great the room and staff were, and how wonderful and accommodating the front desk manager was to my family. She and the staff did a great job of taking care of all our needs. Having breakfast on the roof patio in the mornings was such a great treat for me and the kids. I was able to see the beautiful boats and views of the harbor and city. I told stories of growing up and some of the memories living there as a child. It was the most relaxing way to start each day before heading out to visit family and friends. I do have to say that the bed was so comfortable, that I could actually sleep through my husband’s snoring without earplugs---Now that's real comfort!”

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family