“Could be 5-Star”
Review of Mill Street Inn

Mill Street Inn
Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Hotel has potential for five-star rating if they paid more attention to the little things that make the difference between very good and superior. For example, our beautiful and large suite's stall shower had missing grout and the door to the bathroom wouldn't stay closed. A stained carpet in the living room also took away from the overall quality of the suite.

That being said, the hotel is perfectly located for whatever your Newport pleasure may be. The staff is friendly and helpful and the complimentary breakfast and afternoon tea are well catered. The bed was very comfortable as were the other furnishings.

We would recommend this hotel for couples as well as families.

Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Hal G
There are newer reviews for Mill Street Inn

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I stayed in the mill street inn in June with my fiancé. The moment you walk in you feel at home. The hotel is conveniently located about 2 1/2 blocks from all the shops, restaurants and waterfront. There is complimentary parking tea coffee and fresh baked goods. Our room was spacious complete with everything you need and we had our own balcony! I am so impressed I am looking forward to returning very soon...

This is the place to be!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Angel317a
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Actually we needed a place for a Sat night, and this place had availability. Many Newport places don;t have for Sat so this was good. We slept well and liked our room other than it was sooo hot when we entered as no one closed drapes or put on a/c. It was convenient to town and wharf but not to cliffwalk. We hated the no elevator thing but liked the bkfst.

Room Tip: townhouse rooms upstairs with the deck looking out is so cool but there is no elevator.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2013

If your looking to stay right in the heart of Newport in walking distance to everything this is the place! We stayed in the Townhouse Suite what a beautiful room with a private deck overlooking the harbor (spectacular view)! Management (Siren Hurley) was very attentive and wanted to make sure we had a great stay. Roof top breakfast anyone ... this is also included with your stay. This place pays attention to detail!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maureen D
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed here with two other women for a girls' weekend. We had a great time and the accommodations were nice. We stayed in a deluxe king suite on the first floor because it had a pull out couch and a king size bed. The rooms are a little dark, but we didn't have any problem with noise as some of the other reviews have stated. The staff members were very nice and friendly. They immediately brought us whatever we asked for- blankets, extra towels, etc.

Breakfast was ok. My friend found moldy bagels in one of the serving drawers. Immediate apologies were made and new ones were brought out. There was always someone there to make sure you had what you needed and everything was stocked. One other big negative about the food service was that the staff touches all of the food with their bare hands. My friends and I are nurses, so we really had issues with this. I had asked for more mini quiche one morning. A gentleman brought some out in a baggie and used his bare hands to put each of them in the warmer, even though there were tongs right next to the warmer. The same went for the bagels and other breads. We just stuck to the cereal after we saw that. Others may not be as picky, but I think the staff could benefit from a food service and handling class. Otherwise, the assortment of food and drink was rather nice. The roof top deck was great and it was nice that they offered water, tea, and coffee throughout the day.

The location was perfect and parking was just fine. One day our room was cleaned to perfection, the next, it was barely touched. I'm not sure why, probably different staff. I would probably give the Inn 3 and a half stars. 4 if the prices had been lower. We paid $500/night on the weekend nights. I know Newport is pricey, but this seemed exorbitant, given that I heard the front desk staff quoting the same deluxe king suite room for $125 less on the phone to another patron (and yes it was for that same night). I realize hotels will reduce their prices to fill up for the night, but I felt a bit ripped off, especially since our room wasn't cleaned well that day.

In short, there were pros and cons. I would definitely stay here again if I could find a good rate.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Well located just a block off busy Thames Street and a block over from Queen Anne Square and Trinity Church. This is a surprisingly well appointed, repurposed grain/mill/warehouse that retains much of the original exposed brick, beams and stone work.

Free parking, while tight, is a huge plus for parking challenged Newport. The reception staff was pleasant and well informed about local attractions and activities. I must comment on the breakfast offering, particularly after reading some of the previous comments: The selection of breads, pastries, yogurt, fruits, smoked salmon, fresh juices, hot beverages...with no hovering of someone trying to "turn tables" was uniquely "delicious" and extensive for an inn with no full kitchen service!

I understand from management that several refurbishment projects are in the works for furnishings
and amenities going forward. Can't wait to see the results on a return visit

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband and I had such an amazing stay! The location in Newport is wonderful. The entire staff was pleasant and extremely attentive to our every need. To top it off, the delicious free breakfast was the icing on the cake. We can't wait to return later this summer!

• Stayed: May 2013