WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Mill Street Inn

Mill Street Inn
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Woodmere, New York
“different and near town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Actually we needed a place for a Sat night, and this place had availability. Many Newport places don;t have for Sat so this was good. We slept well and liked our room other than it was sooo hot when we entered as no one closed drapes or put on a/c. It was convenient to town and wharf but not to cliffwalk. We hated the no elevator thing but liked the bkfst.

Room Tip: townhouse rooms upstairs with the deck looking out is so cool but there is no elevator.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Smithfield, Rhode Island, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

If your looking to stay right in the heart of Newport in walking distance to everything this is the place! We stayed in the Townhouse Suite what a beautiful room with a private deck overlooking the harbor (spectacular view)! Management (Siren Hurley) was very attentive and wanted to make sure we had a great stay. Roof top breakfast anyone ... this is also included with your stay. This place pays attention to detail!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maureen D
Boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed here with two other women for a girls' weekend. We had a great time and the accommodations were nice. We stayed in a deluxe king suite on the first floor because it had a pull out couch and a king size bed. The rooms are a little dark, but we didn't have any problem with noise as some of the other reviews have stated. The staff members were very nice and friendly. They immediately brought us whatever we asked for- blankets, extra towels, etc.

Breakfast was ok. My friend found moldy bagels in one of the serving drawers. Immediate apologies were made and new ones were brought out. There was always someone there to make sure you had what you needed and everything was stocked. One other big negative about the food service was that the staff touches all of the food with their bare hands. My friends and I are nurses, so we really had issues with this. I had asked for more mini quiche one morning. A gentleman brought some out in a baggie and used his bare hands to put each of them in the warmer, even though there were tongs right next to the warmer. The same went for the bagels and other breads. We just stuck to the cereal after we saw that. Others may not be as picky, but I think the staff could benefit from a food service and handling class. Otherwise, the assortment of food and drink was rather nice. The roof top deck was great and it was nice that they offered water, tea, and coffee throughout the day.

The location was perfect and parking was just fine. One day our room was cleaned to perfection, the next, it was barely touched. I'm not sure why, probably different staff. I would probably give the Inn 3 and a half stars. 4 if the prices had been lower. We paid $500/night on the weekend nights. I know Newport is pricey, but this seemed exorbitant, given that I heard the front desk staff quoting the same deluxe king suite room for $125 less on the phone to another patron (and yes it was for that same night). I realize hotels will reduce their prices to fill up for the night, but I felt a bit ripped off, especially since our room wasn't cleaned well that day.

In short, there were pros and cons. I would definitely stay here again if I could find a good rate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
D.C.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Well located just a block off busy Thames Street and a block over from Queen Anne Square and Trinity Church. This is a surprisingly well appointed, repurposed grain/mill/warehouse that retains much of the original exposed brick, beams and stone work.

Free parking, while tight, is a huge plus for parking challenged Newport. The reception staff was pleasant and well informed about local attractions and activities. I must comment on the breakfast offering, particularly after reading some of the previous comments: The selection of breads, pastries, yogurt, fruits, smoked salmon, fresh juices, hot beverages...with no hovering of someone trying to "turn tables" was uniquely "delicious" and extensive for an inn with no full kitchen service!

I understand from management that several refurbishment projects are in the works for furnishings
and amenities going forward. Can't wait to see the results on a return visit

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

My husband and I had such an amazing stay! The location in Newport is wonderful. The entire staff was pleasant and extremely attentive to our every need. To top it off, the delicious free breakfast was the icing on the cake. We can't wait to return later this summer!

• Stayed May 2013
Santee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and I came to rhode island to vist family after a long search we deciced to stay at the Mill Street Inn, I can say enough enough about this Inn!!! we has read reviews and thought not everyone can be pleased and how right we were! we were greeted by the Frontdesk Manager Siren and she was so welcoming, we told who the staff was for our entire stay and told if we needed anything just call, when she walked us to our room she informed us it was just re-done, once my wife got in our room we saw a welcome letter from the General manager Caron Rivera Nice touch in all our travles we have never seen that, the Studio suite we were was SPOTLESS, and the bed a dream, we awoke to go to breakfast and to our surpise we dined on fresh fruit, Salmon, bagles pastiers and the best esspresso machine better than starbucks, our plates were cleared for by a wonderful girl named Jill, upon returning from exploring Newport that the staffed helped us plan out mansions and places for lunch we were greeted and welcomed back by a young lady named Noah who helped with dinner suggestions. which turned to be great, all in All my wife and I were pleasantly SURPISED and glad we deciced to book there and may I add we recicved a Thank You email , in this day and age where do you get that. All I can say is WEll Caron Rivera and staff WE WILL BE BACK!! and we will send friends and family to you. The MIll Street Inn is A special place with a great staff. Thank you for a Great Stay

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Mill Street Inn for the first time and had a wonderful experience. We travel to Newport at least four times a year and have stayed at many of the hotels in town. This time we decided to try Mill Street based on the great reviews and convenient location. We were not disappointed. We stayed in a townhouse suite, which was spacious and comfortable. Our suite had a deck with a nice view, a comfortable bed, fun coffee table books and tasty jellybean turndown treats. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating and made our stay enjoyable. The complimentary breakfast was perfect (uncommon in Newport as most places charge) and we were pleased to have free parking (also uncommon). The afternoon cookies and tea were also a nice touch. Mill Street is our new go to hotel in Newport; we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple