“The Cold Didn't Stop US!”
Review of Mill Street Inn

Mill Street Inn
Ranked #8 of 21 Hotels in Newport
Wolcott, Connecticut
“The Cold Didn't Stop US!”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

The Mill Street Inn is a wonderful choice for a hotel for those looking for a romatic getaway to Newport! My husband and I loved the location; it's close enough to the main stretch to walk even in the cold of January. The staff was wonderful! Always pleasnt and welling to help. We loved the candies and new letter they left for us each night. The rasinets were greatly appreciated. PLUS the hotel upgraded us for free since we were there on the off season! The suite was fantastic! I wish we had a fireplace in our bedroom like that. The only downside was my hubby and I weren't a huge fan of the duvet cover on the bed, but then again we are used to a temperpedic. It defintely wasn't too bad. Overall a great place to stay when it's just the two of you.

Room Tip: Travel to Newport in the off season.
1 Thank JackAttack3209

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
New York
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel about a week ago and the stay couldn't have gone any better. Upon checking in I was informed of a Free Upgrade and was placed in a Townhouse. The front desk agents were extremely accommodating, and very helpful. They gave great recommendations, on where to eat and what to do, which kept us pretty busy throughout our stay. The location of the hotel is great, and their breakfast was among the best continental ones I have every had! Very healthy, with a large selection. My favorite thing about the stay was the bed, I usually have trouble going to sleep, but I laid on the bed and was asleep in a matter of minutes. Lastly, I had the pleasure of speaking with both the front desk manager and the general manger and they were both lovely to talk to. I think I have found my favorite hotel in Newport. I will definitely be coming back soon!

Groton, Connecticut
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel on New Years Eve and was given an automatic room upgrade. The hotel staff takes extra care to ensure that you enjoy your stay. Some of the things the hotel staff did was provide an afternoon tea upon check in, bringing cupcakes to your room, and leaving you with fresh fruit and bottle waters in your room. The hotel staff always greets you upon your arrival and is ready to assist you if needed.

The quality of the room is great. Even with Cathedral ceilings and exposed brick walls in the rooms it is very warm. The beds are extremely comfortable with many pillows and a pillowtop mattress. The bathrooms are very clean and the showers have a shower head on each side, as well as quality Aveda products for use.

The location is ideal for travel to Newport because it is within walking distance to both Bellevue Avenue and downtown.

The continental breakfast is very well put together. Guests can make their own coffee or espresso style drinks with an easy to use Nespresso machine. They provide fresh squeezed orange and grapefruit juice, a variety of cold cereals, oatmeal, bread and bagels, and many different healthy options to enhance your breakfast such as almonds, flaxseeds, dried fruit.

I have stayed at many different locations in Newport as it is one of my favorite local destinations. This hotel has the charm of a bed and breakfast with the quality and luxury of a hotel.

Room Tip: It is all suites
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This Inn is within close walking distance of the harbor area and fairly close to a few of the Mansions. I loved the location. I had a suite with a bedroom upstairs, which I loved because there was so much light coming in through the patio door. The bathroom was very up-to-date and the bed extremely comfortable. I though the living room area was a little tired and on the dark side, but because this was a converted warehouse, it made some sense. The people at the front desk were all very nice and very helpful, another aspect I appreciated very much. I would love to return to Newport some day, and would definitely considering staying at the property again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Connecticut
Reviewed December 18, 2012

It's an interesting choice, really. It's not the typical Old Captian's House converted into a B & B. It's not waterfront. And it's not supremely upscale. I have stayed on the waterfront, and in the B & B's, and Mill St is my favorite choice in Newport.

I'm not sure why, though it feels like home, after having stayed there 4 or 5 times already. It's different. It's a converted Mill, and has exposed brick walls. Not exactly screaming "Newport" charm, but I like it.

The location is great- a two minute walk to the waterfront, yet away from all noise. Covered parking. A choice of room styles- ranch, or townhouse. I prefer the townhouse as I enjoy the deck. A waterview is a must when booking a townhouse; the lights on the bridge and harbor night are nice.

If you go in the offseason it's a bonus, as they offer some great deals and no nightly restrictions.

Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Ashland, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here for one night for our anniversary and brought our dog with us so he could have a mini vacation too. The best part about the inn was the location. It was a block from the downtown area and all of the restaurants, and we were able to park our car in the garage underneath the building. It was not as dog friendly as I was hoping, they seemed very strict about their dog policy with fining guests for noise. Our dog has barked in the past, so we decided to keep him in the car (which was in the garage area) while we were at dinner.

The room was very modern and clean. We had a corner room so our room was much bigger than we thought. The exposed beams and brick along with the very comfortable bed were great. My one complaint was that the room was extremely hot and we had a terrible night's sleep (the bed was very comfortable though). We had the air conditioning blasting but it didn't cool it off at all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Georgetown, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Two night mid week February stay (long overdue review) . Friendly desk staff (one of the owners), plus helpful with vital info about where to eat, site see, and how to utilize two days with various budgets suggested for each activity.

Would love to visit during summer, but only able to stay in Newport during an "off season."

Room Tip: Plan to book an upstairs loft with deck just outside and a view(yet distant) of the harbor. (You wi...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple