“Nice Surprise for Mexican Food in Utah”

El Mexiquense Grill
Ranked #10 of 108 Restaurants in American Fork
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed July 11, 2013

As a recent transplant from Los Angeles to the American Fork area, I have eaten at numerous Mexican places in the region and have found them to all be poor in one way or another. I was VERY surprised and pleased to finally come across a place with reasonable prices, good portions, and, most importantly, good tasting, realistic Mexican food. Each time I go, I purposely over-order so I can try different items. All have been fairly good - quite fresh, authentic and tasty. The salsa bar is reasonable with options offered - from mild to really quite hot (the guacamole looking salsa). Good quality chips, too.

Sopes are usually not a great option at restaurants because the cornmeal patty is hard. At El Mexiquense Grill, it is soft and moist with generous toppings and true to what I remember eating at Mom's growing up.

Each time I've gone, there's always been an English speaking person behind the counter. The menu is in English so I don't undersand previous comments by others.

Give the place a try - small parking lot in a strip mall, seating inside and they even sell Mexican Coke, Sprite, Fanta and other popular bottled soft drinks from Mexico.

VIVA EL MEXIQUENSE!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

I'll admit, I still haven't figured out how to pronounce that name of this restaurant properly. I haven't even figured out what all the things are the menu are either, because they are mostly in Spanish, with little description. I could ask the staff, but usually I can understand what they are trying to tell me. I could ask the other patrons, but most of them don't seem to speak English. All good signs that this place is fantastically authentic. So I just google things a lot on my phone. The Tacos al Pastor are amazing. The chips are thin and fresh. The spice level of the salsas in the salsa bar varies daily depending on who mixed it up and how spicy the ingredients were that day. They use different kinds of meat in different items- the beef in the burritos is seasoned and cooked differently that the beef in the tacos- and there's no hamburger and no yellow cheese to be found . So delicious. Great. Now I'm hungry.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

You want Mexican food, you want cheap tacos that taste good, how about authenticity, bring it... eat here now... is your mouth watering yet. Dig your teath into freshly rotisseried (that's a word) full chicken, or how about their signature El pastor tacos, game time. Try it... classic hole in the wall Mexican joint that will impress you, much better than stupid taco time, del taco, taco bell, any of the major Mexican restaurants, I don't even know their names because they suck compared to this joint, do it now... go to AF and eat here immediately, it's absolutely critical... your life may be in danger if you don't. Peace.

Reviewed August 2, 2011

From the outside this place doesn't look like much but do yourself (and your tastebuds) a favor and try is local gem.

The 'el pastor' is awesome. It's marinated beef and pineapple on a rotisserie kind of like Greek hero meat.

I get the 'el pastor's their nachos and it is the best I've ever had. It's huge, never been able finish it all.