“It was "OK" for a weekend shopping trip”
Review of Econo Lodge South

Econo Lodge South
Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Buffalo
Tottenham, Canada
“It was "OK" for a weekend shopping trip”
Reviewed January 3, 2011

The rooms are quite spacious had everything you would need in a hotel room. Nothing fancy just basic. Hotel is close to Walden Galleria and many shopping attractions. If you are looking for a place to crash for a day or 2 this place will do the trick.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank robrende

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2010

We booked this hotel very last minute and, as a result, had very limited options. I had never stayed in a motel before so I wasn’t sure what to expect. It wasn’t terrible but I wouldn’t have stayed more than one night.

Our room was big enough, but certainly very basic. The bathroom really needs to be redone and the floor could have been cleaner, but no major complaints. It was quiet for a Friday night and the bed was comfortable.

The hotel is located about 10 minutes from the HSBC arena, which wasn't very convenient for us, but the price of this hotel was a fraction of what we typically pay in Buffalo. (Parking downtown Buffalo is very inexpensive - just $5.00 to park a couple of blocks away from HSBC arena.) This hotel is located very close to a highway and some shopping, however.

If you need very basic accommodations, I think this hotel would be fine.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed October 20, 2010

We have booked this motel for 3 nights, but after staying one night, we canceled our stay for the next 2 days, and booked different one. We didint like it. And the breakfast .. coffee, danish pastry and bagels, thats all. But its perfect for the price you pay per night. And its ok to stay for one night. Very friendly and helpful stuff !

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We stayed here for one night with 2 kids. We had a double bed room on the 2nd floor, kids had a double double on the first floor. Besides the stains near the door, our room was clean. The kids' room was very spacious and clean too. Furniture, wallpaper and curtains looked fine to me, no real wear. All in all a good value for the money. The hotel is near I-90 which can be convenient or not, depending on the purpose of your stay.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Md
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I stayed at the Econo Lodge Buffalo South (4344 Milestrip Road, Blasdell NY) for two nights in June 2010. The motel is very near McKinley Mall, chain restaurants, and I-90, about ten south of downtown Buffalo NY, and it is about a mile east of Lake Erie and NY Route 5. The staff was adequately informative and helpful. The room was adequately clean and roomy, and the bed was comfortable. The walls are thin (based on some TV noise), but all of my neighbors were quiet, and I slept well. The traffic noise from I-90 was not bad. There is a restaurant/bar next door, but there were no noise problems nor any loud fights in the parking lot. The motel is located conveniently near Buffalo, Lackawanna, Orchard Park, and the Buffalo-area attractions. I recommend this motel for solo male travelers staying one or two nights south of Buffalo, but families, women, or couples might want less basic accommodations.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Hamlin, New York
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We stayed at the Econo Lodge for 1 night prior to our trip. We were very apprehensive about staying here based on some of the reviews but figured why not, the price is right and it’s only for 1 night. We decided we really didn't care if the wallpaper was old or if the hotel was not remodeled. We needed a hotel with shuttle service, parking and a clean room to crash in prior to an early flight in the morning. The cost of the room and parking for 12 days was worth the stay. We calculated the cost to park our car at the airport and it would have been more. The room was old and mismatched but clean, bed was comfortable. Continental breakfast was good, filled us up, the coffee was fresh. No, this is not a luxury hotel but look at the cost. We contacted the hotel as soon as our plane landed, were asked if we had our luggage, said yes and when we walked out of the airport the shuttle bus was waiting for us. We would stay here again for 1 night prior to travel. PS - there is a great pizza and burger joint just north of the hotel (10 blocks by car) called Pizza Planet. Very good!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed October 14, 2008

We booked this hotel for one night on a cross-country trip and expected a simple, inexpensive, no-frills hotel.

With that in mind, we dealt with the smoky room (even though we had asked for and been given a non-smoking room) and the noise (a huge party in the room above us, and not even during football season when we were told it's unbearable here).

What we didn't expect was to find an additional charge of $105 to show up on our monthly statement for our $79.05 room. I called the hotel and was told they had charged another person's reservation to our account by accident and would clear up the matter immediately.

Another month went by and our account had not been credited. I called again and this time was told they didn't have any record of such a charge. When I faxed them my statement as proof, they then claimed a chair had been damaged and that they had sent me a letter and pictures to that effect. I told them that I hadn't received any letter or pictures and asked if they could send them again. They responded that they no longer had the pictures but would resend the letter (great help that is).

For the record, we are middle-aged academics who are not in the habit of damaging anything, let alone hotel furniture. In fact, we like chairs – they’re great for reading books.

In conclusion, there are significant problems of both an administrative and a professional nature here. So, please think twice -- this hotel will not be simple or inexpensive.

PS -- The changing of stories concerning this charge matches other inconsistencies from the hotel manager. As one example, she said she would have called me after our visit but she didn't have our phone number. When I gave her my work phone to follow up on my fax, she called me back on my cell phone. When I asked her how she got the number, she reminded me that I had left it with her during our stay. When I pointed out this inconsistency with her first statement, she had further excuses.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank rdl08

Travelers are raving about these Buffalo hotels