“Great place to stay if you are in downtown Buffalo for any reason” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Buffalo Downtown

DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Buffalo Downtown
Ranked #3 of 23 Hotels in Buffalo
Austin, TX
“Great place to stay if you are in downtown Buffalo for any reason”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2009

I flew into Buffalo and needed a place to stay, so picked this based on the reviews, the price and believe it or not, the proximity to the airport (even though it's downtown - only 10 minutes by freeway). With the rate at ~$100 and free internet, that's a good deal. I got in fairly late, so couldn't really tell much about the surrounding area - it didn't seem too bad driving to and from the hotel from the freeway, but I didn't wander around at all. The staff at the front desk was great - both in the evening and the morning, very friendly, helpful, and professional. Check-in and check-out were quick and efficient, and no errors on either one.

The room was decent size, plenty of room between the bed and the desk, so it was easy to work. The free internet was nice - worked well, and can't beat the price. The room also has a microwave and small fridge, then standard size bathroom and closet. Like some of the other reviewers, I was on the side of the hotel that's right next to (I guess) a hospital building, so no real "view" so to speak, but that wasn't a big deal.

The 2nd floor of the hotel is setup with a big laundry room with chairs and tables if you have to wait for a while. There is also a fitness center with 3 treadmills, a bike/elliptical, and free weights - really enjoyed that. And finally, there is a "Living Room/Game Room" combination with couches, chairs, books, a big TV, tables, etc. It seems the hotel (rooms and 2nd floor in particular) are setup for people making extended stays - that's a really nice touch, and it's nice to have even if you are staying there for just 1 day.

I had breakfast the next morning at the hotel restaurant/Au Bon Pain - nothing to write home about, but the staff were all very friendly and attentive. Don't go there for the food, but if you have to have breakfast you can sit down and order off the menu, or go to the counter and order something to go. There was also a bar/restaurant looking part of this space, but it wasn't in use in the morning.

The valet parking is WELL worth the extra $2... they park it for you at night (which based on other reviews sounds like a good idea), and then they ask you what time you want it ready, and they have it waiting for you at that time, so you don't have to call and wait the next morning.

Although I didn't use this amenity, they told me the shuttle could take me to and from places there in downtown Buffalo (HSBC Center and Anchor Bar - home of the original Buffalo wings) if needed. That's a nice feature, especially in a new city where you don't know how or want to drive around. Like I said earlier - location is good, right off 33 and easy to get on and off the freeway. Given the price as well, I'd definitely stay here again if I'm in Buffalo.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Travel_Reviewer20

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Baarn, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2009

I arrived in Buffalo by train at Exchange street and chamged to tram. The hotel is a short walk from the Allen/Medical Campus stop. Remember this stop is the first/last stop where you must pay, but the tram is free in downtown Buffalo. The hotel is among several medical buildings but outside there the area does not feel comfortable. Check in was friendly, I was offered a delicious warm cookie! Hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. My room was big and comfortable. I did not use the restaurant. Instead I bought drink and food in a store on the High Street/Michigan Avenue. I had micro and fridge in my room. And the free WIFI is great plus. I would stay here again when in Buffalo.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Thank A.Brouwer
Northern Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2009

Room type: King bed guest room

The Positives: Large spacious rooms that are fairly clean and nicely decorated. Large desk and high-speed internet included free with room. Nice sitting chair with lamp for reading and TV watching. Teeny tiny kitchenette area with little refrigerator and microwave with storage cabinets above. Enough to keep snacks around. Bathroom was ordinary but clean. Dresser with six drawers to store clothing and whatever. Clean carpet and furniture. Very comfortable bed with plush multiple pillows. Half the desk staff was friendly and half the staff was not. Just depended who was on duty when you needed something. They provided a nice crib on wheels but do not have any high chairs. Found it difficult to feed active baby without being able to strap baby down to a high chair. Fairly baby safe room for toddler.

The Negatives: The worse part of the stay was not being able to control the room temperature. We stayed in November and it wasn’t that cold outside (high of 60 degrees) but the hotel still had a lot of external heat (hallways and just heat rising from bottom floors) that heated our room. The room was so hot and dry. I could feel my skin just wrinkling up from lack of moisture in the room. Baby developed a cough in mornings from sleeping with hot dry air. Went away as soon as we left hotel. I inquired at the desk why our room was so hot when we had the heating unit turned off. Got a shrug of the shoulders kind of response.

Parking is $10 for the duration of your stay and it’s valet parking. You don’t want to do self parking because hotel doesn’t seem to be in a safe looking neighborhood and the valet parking is supposed to be secured. There’s only a small semi-circle for cars in front of hotel and since it’s valet parking, you find too many cars jammed up front waiting for their owners to claim them. They will park your vehicle halfway up on the curb so expected your tires to get rubbed from the curve. Have to walk all around cars with luggage and then wiggle your way out with vehicle.

They only have two LUGGAGE carts available in hotel to service all their guest. They need to purchase more. We had extra gear and really needed a cart but none was ever available, both checking in and out. It was a PAIN IN THE REAR. When we asked the front desk for a luggage cart, they just said in a matter of fact way they are being used. No offer to help unload our luggage. So we unloaded the luggage, making a few trips and staged everything in their lobby area. I think that was their wake up call we needed help as we cluttered up their lobby area with our stuff spread out all over. Although my spouse asked, I went to ask again for a luggage cart and let them know I was annoyed. They need more luggage carts. Finally, they got a staff member to help carry the stuff from lobby to room.

Housekeeping. The housekeeper didn’t like that we didn’t want her to clean our room. All we wanted was a change of towels and to remove trash. Just got a feeling from looking at her face she was not happy with our request.

View: Our room looked out to another brick wall. I imagine the views are not great in most of the rooms.

General:
They have a tiny gift shop with drinks and snacks too. Restaurant didn’t look that special. Room service is expensive as always. Lobby are is nice but small. Hotel connects to the hospital. They do not have high chairs in the restaurant for children either. The “game” room means it’s just a room you can bring games from home to play on the tables they provide.

Summary. I would not stay here again because I find the parking and room temperature too challenging to deal with but if you don’t mind a hot and dry room and want to be close to the hospital, this hotel would be a good choice.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MarchingAnts
PITTSBURGH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2009

My wife and myself visited Buffalo on Nov. 10th , 2009. I choose the DoubleTree due my other 2 choices being sold out. We were in town for a concert at HSBC areana. The hotel is located in the medical part of town. It in very close proximity to the hosiptal. We drove up from Pittsburgh. This is not my first time to Buffalo. At the hotel you can either pay to park in a lot a block away for $8 or valet park for $10. If you park in the lot everytime you leave you pay. We opted for the valet even though we didnt use our car 1 time. Valet doesnt cost a thing to take car out and repark. The hotel itself was very clean. A very friendly staff. I was checked in less then 5 mins. The have a small gift shop next to check in desk for gifts or forgotten items. Buffalo has a metro in which we were plainning on riding to arean abut the hotel shuttle service took us to and from. The room located on 8th floor. The room was spacous and clean. The bathroom was large and bed was king size. Bed was very comfortable. The shuttle was on time both taking and picking us up. The driver was awesome. I dont think i could find 1 thing to complain about this hotel. And to top it off they give you free cookie and if you have not had a double tree cookie drive to one andn buy a dozen ( about 10 bucks). Buffalo is a working class town. Its going through a down turn but dont let that shy you away from the many things it has to offer. The front desk has a food/entertainment book with menus of surrounding places. And the front desk has a book of directions already prinited off. Niagra Falls is an easy 20 min drive if that. We drove up and enjoyed the many free sites on the New York side. Just breath taking. I caqnnot wait until i can bring my kids up in a couple months to see the Falls. I think we will being staying at the Double Tree.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ironcity
Grand Junction Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2009

I'm on the road 100% of the time so I stay at a lot of different hotels. This one was just ok. The resturant has a better staff then the food. The rooms are all nice but the view was not. You are close to the hospital and you can walk to the Anchor bar (Do so at your own risk!) The hotel has no parking so you have to do the valet thing. As this service goes they do a good job (tell them the night before at the front desk when you'll need your car and they wil have it ready for you.) The only probem I had was they MUST CLEAN THE ROOM! even tho' I was on my day off and wanted to sleep in. They badgered me three times till I gave up and left for an hour so they can do the job they needed to do.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank THETRUTH1952
Albany, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2009

This hotel was friendly, clean, and easy to find. The parking is $10, but I did it instead of driving around bad neighborhoods in Buffalo.

The room was huge. Most people stay there for long periods of time while family members are at the hospital. Kitchenette in my room was great.

The workout area was clean, and had two treadmills, two elliptical machines, a rower, and a bunch of weights and balance balls. And tvs set up with the machines, and another for someone using the free weights. I was quite pleased with that!

The only negative was the restaurant. Online it seemed like there would be an Au Bon Pain and a bar attached to the hotel. its one place, a cold dining room and waitstaff that were really into talking loudly about needing a cigarette. The food was quite expensive and mediocre. Egg and cheese on a bagel? $8. Wow.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Leaudemiel
endicott, new york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2009

We are currently going to Roswell Park Memorial Cancer Center for treatment so this hotel is ideally located and in fact has a tunnel to RPMCC. We don't usually stay in swanky places anyway so this place was fine for us, average room style. I must say the beds were extremely comfortable! The room we had had white, puffy quilt-like covers instead of the standard blanket. The 4 pillows each bed were nicely propped up with a little pillow with "Sweet Dreams" printed on it. This felt very welcoming and is a nice touch.
Doubletree also gives reduced rates for RPMCC patients so make sure to ask. Valet parking was worth every penny. Food was so-so. Not much choice on site but the servers really aim to please. Very friendly and kind. My real only caveat would be about the in room coffee maker. It is really really small and uses those pre-packaged coffee filter things. Plan on getting coffee from downstairs if you need more than a small cup first thing in the am.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple