This isn't exactly a happening or touristy corner of Buffalo - this is right across the street from Buffalo General Hospital and connected to the Roswell Park Cancer Institute. However, if you're looking for surprisingly good value for money lodgings and an amazing staff who are doing their very best to make you feel welcome, then you're definitely in the right place. Besides, nightlife and tourist attractions are just a short drive away - or you could even ask the hotel's free shuttle to drop you off there if you'd like.
The rooms are immaculately clean; the only quibbles I have would be with the somewhat tired 80s/90s décor which, if boring, does offer up a few grins (the odd, faux-Deco gold-plated bath fixtures were v. amusing). All of it is well maintained, though - no scuff marks on walls, no holes in the carpets. The hotel was apparently originally built largely to cater to families who needed to stay close to one of the nearby hospitals for an extended stretch of time; there's a stonking huge fridge in every room, a sink, a microwave, and Wolfgang Puck coffee and tea. Yes, business travelers, you can fit an entire pizza box in the fridge.
Beds were wonderfully comfortable, and the duvets were welcome; watching it snow outside from under the covers, I felt wonderfully at home and pampered. There are more pillows than I knew what to do with, and enough towels that I could probably re-carpet the room with them if I wanted to. Toiletries are good quality Neutrogena, replenished every day, and it was great getting both the local paper and USA Today every morning.
Valet parking is reasonably well organized with super-friendly parking attendants. Check-in was efficient and welcoming. It isn't often you stay at a hotel where service feels this genuine and heartfelt; these aren't corporate drones reading a script dreamt up by some marketing agency - these are honest people doing their best to make you feel welcome here.
The lounge downstairs offers a great array of reasonably priced drinks, there's a little kiosk where you can buy pop to take up to your room, and staff were very helpful in recommending other places to eat if you're looking for a change of pace.
Finally, one very important thing to me is noise: this place is quiet. Really, really quiet. Even though you're surrounded by hospitals, you'll never hear an ambulance siren or even your neighbors. I'm a light sleeper, and I really enjoyed the peace and quiet.
During a week's stay, the only minor problems I experience were these: the first room I received had no Internet connection available (fixed with a move to another room). The second room I had did not have the advertised recliner (unlike the first), but this didn't bother me enough to ask the staff for a better chair. Finally, the Au Bon Pain café (which may or may not be part of the hotel) has a problem with displayed prices being about 30% cheaper than what rings up at the register - but they did correct the register amount when asked.
Seriously, if you're thinking about staying here, I can't imagine there being a more relaxing, welcoming environment to do it. This is a rare find.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- DoubleTree by Hilton Buffalo Downtown, is located on the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus. A 100% non-smoking hotel; the DoubleTree offers all of the comforts of home! Complimentary WiFi and in room safes are complimentary and in all of our tranquil rooms. Experience the all new "HD residential experience" on our brand new flat screen televisions. The DoubleTree is just minutes from everything truly unique to Buffalo; Canalside, HarborCenter, First Niagara Center, Ralph Wilson Stadium, Coca Cola Field and Shea's Theatre just to name a few. Niagara Falls is a short 25 minute drive from Buffalo! Come stay with us, you will not be disappointed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your DoubleTree Club by Hilton Hotel Buffalo Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Doubletree Hotel Buffalo Downtown
- Doubletree Downtown Hotel
- Doubletree Buffalo