Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Buffalo
NJ
“GREAT ROOM”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This hotel is smack in Buffalo's city and parking is a couple of blocks away....at least I didn't pay for parking but that could be because I am a Choice Hotels member. Not sure. The check-in was smooth and the room was gigantic. Awesome! Friday's is right downstairs so you don't have to leave the hotel to have a bite to eat. Breakfast was great...fabulous selection. Fresh waffles made..there is someone there to show you how to do it. I was a little confused at first. :)

Ok, so a couple of negatives...the rooms are suites...that means someone is probably going to be sleeping on the pullout couch. Well, unless you have brought some serious cushion like an egg crate you will be extremely uncomfortable sleeping in that "bed". My 17yr old son slept on it and can sleep on the floor and almost did. He said it was like sleeping on springs. Not good. I called the front desk and they sent up extra blankets and a fluffily bed cover. It helped a tiny bit but not much. Also, the tub is very very high which for most is not an issue but it might be for some.

So, there you go.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Orangutanlover
BuffComfortGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for the detailed room. Glad your stay was overall a pleasant one. Sorry that the pullout couch was not the most comfortable and hope the size of the room and the other amenities made up for it. The positve is that all rooms are large king suites with privacy between bedroom and livingroom but the slight downside is that someone does need to sleep in a pullout. Even though the couches are just 4 years old and they are not used that much I will look into whether some need to be replaced. Thanks for the feedback Hope we see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Rochester, New York
Reviewed October 14, 2013

When we arrived Jessica at the front desk was very courteous, offering us a bottle of water and diretions from the hotel to First Niagara arena. After check in we found the suite to be perfect to allow us and the other couple we were with to take a few minutes for everyone to get ready for our night out and still have a place to relax.
Overall, great service, clean room and plenty of space! It was exactly what we were looking for.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I have made a point of recognizing Jessica who is a fairly new but wonderful staff member.
Oakland
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed for one night arriving late at night from Toronto. Check in was ok, as we waited behind the people before us which took forever. But once we got to the suite, it was large and clean. Hotel internet works well too. Breakfast the next morning was included and it was good. We saw many airlines crew eating there. The downtown hotel location allows one to easily explore downtown Buffalo, which is an interesting/unrated city. We particularly like the view from the top floor of the City Hall (free access). The hotel runs a free shuttle bus to the airport -- this is really good for us as we came to Buffalo mainly because the flight back to West Coast was much cheaper departing from Buffalo than Toronto. Overall, we are pleased with our choice.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CJKK2013
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The highlights:
Anyone with kids knows it's best to stay in a suite-like room. While this is no Residence Inn with a bedroom plus a loft and 2 bathrooms and a kitchen, for a small family (or taking only 1 with you) and 1 night, it's perfect. You can stay up and enjoy your stay in the living room part while the kids sleep in the bedroom you'll share with her/him when you feel like going to sleep.
It's clean, quiet, and comfortable. I didn't hear street noise.
The breakfast was nice and the staff were happy to show me the kosher symbols on the original cartons of the food products available to let me know my family can eat them. NOT all the processed food (like cereals) are kosher so you need to ask if you care. If you care about eating kosher for breakfast and want to avoid the trouble of asking, try the Comfort Inn University in Amherst (also part of the Choice Hotels chain) in the Jewish part of town where they actually have gone to the trouble of making a binder that shows the kosher symbols and ingredients lists for all breakfast products). Hopefully the Comfort Suite Downtown will offer that too.
The "low"lights:
Parking is a pain. They give you free parking at a parkade a couple blocks down, but I wasn't too comfortable walking down Downtown Buffalo to get to my car at night. There is a small parking lot but it literally has only about a half dozen parking spots, so unload your car if necessary at the entrance, then park the car, and bring it to pick up the family.
The security is discomforting but understandable. You can't even go up in the elevator without your security card, nor use the hotel washroom without one. Obviously necessary due to their experience with the street people using them.
Nonetheless, a lovely suite and I'd recommend it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed October 8, 2013

stayed there during July 4th weekend, was the lowest price (with advanced purchase rate) in Buffalo with a brand name I trust. It turns out to be of good value - it was a suite, with complimentary breakfast! You can even borrow DVDs from front desk. The only thing not good is that the parking is not free during the weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed at the Comfort Suites for a total of three months as there was some personal work and I was stuck in Buffalo. Comfort Suites provided a good rate for a long term stay and provided all the necessary services.

The manager Matt, was courteous and would always greet us with a smile. His staff equally follows suit. Breakfast was the same everyday; however when you have the same food everyday it does get a bit monotonous. Needless to say there are many other options in the area. Dunkin Donuts, Tim Hortons, Subway (down the road). The same is for your other eating options for lunch and dinner. The metro rail is right outside the hotel.

The housekeeping services were regular and efficient in their job. Dan, Kim, Jen, were all very helpful and friendly and would be there in a moments notice to any query I had.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We chose this hotel prior to an early morning flight out of Buffalo Niagara Airport - we travelled as 2 couples. We arrived early evening and the front desk staff was amazing - friendly and efficient. They even went the extra mile in offering to have a to-go breakfast packed up since we would be leaving prior to their breakfast service (too bad they or someone else didn't follow through since there was no said breakfast doggie bag for us the following morning). Parking is off site and under a 5 minute walk. We enjoyed the walk back and liked seeing the revitalization efforts first hand. The neighbourhood was sketchy after dark so I would not recommend a single female traveller making this walk back alone. There were some unsavoury characters and I was approached by one such character in front of the lobby asking for money and cigarettes.
The room was average although very large. The couch and chairs were grimey so I would not recommend staying here if you were needing that second sleeping area. I doubt I'd want my dog to sleep on that couch let alone one of my children. We did love the view of the beautifully lit white building and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom is clean and does the trick but it obvious there was a real lack of attention to detail during the renovation - sloppy tiling, moldy grout, poor painting job - the list goes on. We had an adjoinging room however one of the doors was jammed and wouldn't open. Fail here too. I did find our room quiet and I did sleep well once I inspected the sheets and was pleasantly surprised they were spotless.
The proximity to TGIFridays was a plus - convenient for those arriving late however the quality of this Friday's was subpar (will review that laters).
All in all this hotel did the trick but it's lack of follow through, potentially unsafe parking situation and over all inattention to detail will keep us from returning.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
BuffComfortGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Downtown Buffalo, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for the very detailed review. I am sorry you encountered a few issues but glad there were some bright spots. I will speak with maintenance and housekeeping department and address the bathroom and couch issues. I am will also look into the To Go Breakfast bag situation. Each morning until breakfast starts there should be "to go" bags at the front desk filled with water, fruit and granola bar in case someone leaves before breakfast opens. Once the regular breakfast buffet opens at 6:30 these are removed. Please reach out to me if you would like to discuss more - 716-854-5500.