“Nothing Special but Nothing Bad”

Hyatt Regency Buffalo
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Buffalo
Western NY'er
“Nothing Special but Nothing Bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

This was a nice hotel, but nothing special. I will try to recap in order: We arrived and checked in. Parking was a bit confusing because it is limited and we ended up parking in a garage on the adjacent block, but no big deal. Employees were very kind and cheerful. Room was kind of small but seemed to be cleaned. Bathroom was good a good size, but lacked counter space... in fact, there was no counter, just a large sink. The shower was really big, which was nice. There were not enough places to hang towels. The room temperature was good and the main thing I focus on when staying in a hotel is cleanliness, and it checked good in that catagory. The pool was nice and warm, but a little small. There were 8 people in the pool while we were and it felt uncomfortable at times. Checkout was at noon, which is always nice. Like I said, nothing special, but nothing bad.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2011

Excellent staff, very comfortable guest rooms, standard breakfast. Some noise from outside all night long due to winter storm clean-up operations, but that's not the hotel's fault. The atrium is pretty cool with the facade of the Genesee Bank building still intact. There's a fee for high speed internet, which I'll complain about to every hotel chain until they all relent and start bundling it into the price of the room, like electricity, water, and oxygen.

I'm a huge supporter of mass transit, and this hotel is located right on the light rail line, but on this trip I needed to drive to the hotel. The problems started right when we arrived. The entrance drive is too narrow and congested. There were some very slow people in front of us and some very impatient people behind us, and no Hyatt staff to be seen, which made for a very stressful first impression. When we finally made it inside and checked in, we learned the hotel has no valet parking and also no relationships with any of the surrounding parking lots or garages. No discounts. Fine, maybe more US cities need to discourage driving downtown by making parking more scarce and more expensive. However, the parking garage across the street outrageously charged us to enter AND warned us if we didn't leave by 6am the next day we'd have to pay an additional fee to exit. The attendant was downright nasty. The staff at the front desk revealed that the hotel has been in a longstanding dispute with this garage. Then why recommend that we park there?!? The staff all park in the surface lot across the street. I would have gladly left my car outside overnight and/or walked two blocks to avoid the garage across the street. Some things are out of a hotel's control, but this is a glaring problem that needs to be resolved before I'd consider staying here again. What does it say about the hotel's relationship with the city and the business community that they can't even secure parking for their guests?

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank uitsmijter
Cambridge, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2011

We came in from Ontario for a Cheerleading competition. The location was excellent and allowed us to walk directly into the Buffalo Convention Centre. However... from the start our impression was poor. It was very difficult to even find a spot to park the van in order to go in and check-in. We were two adults and three children, so my husband remained in the vehicle, (after FINALLY finding a spot), and I went in to check in.

Our reservations were made directly with the Hotel, but I began to get nervous as many people in the lobby were complaining about their accomodations! Some had been waiting in line for more than 20mins... and the hotel didn't seemed to be fully staffed?! I believe there were only three people working check-in, and no one at the Concierge desk. Luckily our room was what we had booked - two beds. BUT... they were two double beds?! I guess I've never been in a hotel with double beds? I thought that Queen size was standard? I figured that we were better off than those that were stuck with one King bed and continued on:)

Once we unloaded the vehicle, we were forced to wait another 10mins to get into the elevators. They are EXTREMELY SLOW. On top of that there were no 'trolly's to assist us in carrying all of our packages to our room, so it took numerous trips... which included numerous wait times for the elevator:(

The pool was freezing - and small. It was packed!

We requested some extra blankets, but they were all out. No fridge in the room, and none of the ice machines ever had any ice!!

The front desk suggested a local Pizza place, and provided us with a flyer. We ordered delivery from them, and when they arrived we met them at the front desk. They forgot to deliver the pop we orderd along with it, (the delivery guy denied that it was even on the order). When I went back up to the room, (again - another LONG wait for the elevator), I called the Pizza place and they acknoledged that it was forgotten, and agreed to send the pop over. In the mean time we have thirsty children and were forced to buy pop from the vending machines, ($2.50/each). A half hour later someone returned with the pops and I had asked the front desk to hold on to them, (as no one felt like taking 15mins of their time to go down and get them at that point). I went down after all of the kids were in bed- they delivered the WRONG pop!

Needless to say, after a long day... the Hyatt in Buffalo didn't impress me. On Sunday morning the wait to get into the restaurant was obsurd, and other families confirmed that there was barely anything to eat on the buffet, so we managed something else. I did however decide to get a coffee from the Starbucks within the hotel. There were only two other ladies in front of me. It took over 15 MINUTES to have someone take my order! The line up that accrued behind me was at least a dozen! There was only ONE server taking the orders from us... but on top of that she was also making all of the specialty coffees for the restaurant! I couldn't believe it! Other servers were coming back and giving her their orders and she completely stopped working on the order she had already taken from us! A manager was trying to help out... but she had to keep running back to the kitchen, (which wasn't close), to get the bagels for the order in front of me. It took almost another 5 minutes for them to complete my order, (after I had told the manager that I had been waiting 15minutes to order a coffee and hot chocolate), and that could they please just work on my order now... as I had to run to the Convention Centre, and was now late! Guess what?? The manager poured my coffee, the young lady commenced on my hot chocolate... then got distracted by another order from the restaurant!!! I was a bartender/server for many years... I couldn't believe how poorly organized it was! I can appreciate being short staffed... but IT'S SUNDAY MORNING FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!! Prime time for coffee and breakfast!!

I guess I was under the assumption that people were looking for jobs due to the economy? A great place to apply would be at the Buffalo Hyatt:)

So the plus' were the doormen - they were nice and offered up suggestions on parking, (as it's public parking). The rooms were recently renovated, and looked clean enough. Upon requesting a later check-out, it was granted at no extra cost, (you certainly can't get that everywhere!). When checking out, there were three charges for local calls, (the pizza place), and I told the front desk what had happened... so they removed those... without me having to ask!

I would stay at this hotel again, should we have something at the Convention Centre. However I would be much more prepared. We brought a cooler, but next time I will be sure to buy ice prior to my arrival. I won't have such high standards, and I will be prepared for the extra wait times.

... I guess this day and age everyone is battling for the 'guest'... and first impressions are very important. Although I said we'd likely stay there again... I likely won't recommend this hotel. the Hyatt has an excellent reputation with a strong Brand, and works very hard to achieve this.. but the Buffalo location was dissapointing.

• Stayed January 2011
HRBGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Buffalo, responded to this review, February 2, 2011
Thank you for your compliments regarding our guestrooms and doormen. Our hotel did indeed recently undergo a $15 million renovation. Please allow me to apologize for the concerns you encountered during your recent stay. The industry standard for double occupancy rooms are double beds, not twins or queens. The hotel was very busy during your stay. We have addressed the staffing issues with the appropriate departments and corrective scheduling action has been taken.

Thank you for the courtesy of your comments. It is only through valuable feedback such as yours that we are able to monitor and improve our product and service. We hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the manner you expect and deserve at a Hyatt hotel.
Cambridge, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2011

We traveled to Buffalo for a cheerleading competition with another Mom and daughter. The Hyatt was across the road from the competition so we were excited. We booked via Expedia, pre-paid so there was no worry about check in times. We specified the reservation was one room for 4 people. We arrived about 10 pm and were told they only had a single King bed available. They said they were fully booked and couldn’t help us. They blamed Expedia for the mistake. So we asked for cot but they had none. So we asked for extra blankets and pillows as someone was going to end up sleeping on the floor, but again they said they had none. After a small, heated chat, they magically produced several blankets and pillows. Sleeping was a write-off.
The next day at breakfast, the buffet was poor. We also watch people ordering off the menu and they waited for over an hour for their whole mean. I’ve stayed at Hyatt’s before and always had great service but this was one of the worst stay’s I’ve had anywhere and the staff was rude to boot. Never again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
As the General Manager of the Hyatt Regency Buffalo, please allow me to apologize for the concerns you encountered during your recent stay. When guest room reservations are made through third party reservation sites, they do not have access to what specific room types we have available. Our restaurant was indeed very busy and those staffing issues have been addressed with the appropriate department heads.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2010

Had to park in garage, across 1 block. Pool old. Room nice. About froze to death at breakfast in lobby. They did not have the heaters turned on the 1st day. otherwise, very nice.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
HRBGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Buffalo, responded to this review, January 5, 2011
Our hotel, including the pool, recently underwent a 15 million dollar renovation. We were aware of the problem with the atrium temperature and have since rectified that problem. We are currently working on and are very close to a solution to the parking issue you mentioned.

Toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2010

What can I say, everything that could go wrong, went wrong...BUT Staff was AMAZING!
Booked with hotel direct, paid hotel rates (acually $30 more on the Hypo-Allergetic Floor as that had 2 bed inventory). Got there, no 2 beds just a king - not good for my 16 year old son and I. Dottie the Front desk Manager and Jummy the Front Desk clerk were great. Would arrange for a cot discount back the $30 premium, sent up refreshments and a hand written note from Dottie.
Got back fromt eh game at 11 pm, NO cot. Back downstairs, Jimmy still working, couldn't believe it, he had arranged for the cot at 5 pm. Finally cot arrives, plus more refreshments from front desk adn a credit for breakfast. Next morning, NO hot water, I don't mean warm...ICE COLD. Try to shower, go down for breakfast and the Resturant Manager asks "how is our stay". I laugh and tell her the story, she tells Dottie again and Dottie comes into the resturant herself to speak with us. Needless the say, they were great. I have never seen a more positive staff in a while. We took it all in stride :)

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Peter B
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2010

My son and I ventured into Buffalo from Baltimore for our first Sabres game. The Hyatt is an ideal and convenient place to stay. Our room was ready at 2 PM and we found it to be clean, comfortable and without any issues.
Getting to the HSBC Arena, which is a terrific place to see a hockey game, was simple. There's an above ground train that runs directly past the Hyatt which drops you off right in front of the arena - at no charge too. It runs the same way after the game as well. It's safe, fast and convenient.
Hyatt was offering a special AAA rate with a free Breakfast - what a bargain. You can not beat the room rate and the breakfast - even if you were to Priceline the hotel. The breakfast is fantastic and since I was traveling with my teenage son, it was perfect. The hotel staff was wonderful and inviting. The front desk folks went out of their way to show us around and point us in the right direction (Corey was great).
Because of the ever-changing winter weather in Buffalo, I was hesitant on renting a car at the airport, but I can tell you that the cab fare runs $35 each way (metered) and they will not give you a flat rate - a detail to keep in mind if you are arriving by air. However, there is a shuttle bus that runs from the airport to the hotel on M-F ($1.75/each way) - stops right in front of the hotel, clean and safe (check out the Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority website for more info and times - the route # is 204). It's the same as a taxi and tons cheaper.
As I noted, this Hyatt is comfortable. It's like an old recliner - showing some wear, but still has usefulness. The Hyatt brand is a higher tier hotel chain and I would not classify this property as "up-scale" by any means. It offers convenience and affordability with the Hyatt touches. The rooms are adequate and "smell-free." The walls are a bit thin, but the beds are plenty comfortable.
This is an excellent choice for a short term stay in Buffalo.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family