“Very good except for rate confusion.”

Hyatt Regency Buffalo
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Buffalo
Toronto, Canada
“Very good except for rate confusion.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

Our overnight stay at the Hyatt Regency Buffalo was excellent as usual. I have absolutely no concerns with the hotel itself. Our room was attractive, clean and quiet and all of the service people we dealt with were friendly and helpful. We’ve stayed in this hotel several times, always with good results. My complaint, however, has to do with the disparity of rates we were quoted and the misinformation we were given.

I’d checked the rate on the hotel’s website and it said that the ‘Senior / AARP’ rate for the room we wanted was $125, however when I clicked on the rate details, it said that an AARP card must be shown. I found this confusing, as it also mentioned ‘Seniors’. I called the hotel directly and asked the reservation clerk if there was a seniors’ rate or just an AARP rate and was told that I must be an AARP member (I’m not) to get that rate. I asked what the regular rate for the room was and was told it was $209. That’s too high for me. I asked to speak with the manager on duty to see if the seniors’ rate couldn’t be applied. I was put on hold for quite a long time so I hung up and gave up on the idea of staying overnight.

Luckily I decided to call back later and spoke to a different reservations clerk (all calls were directly to the hotel). At that time, I was still told that I wouldn’t need an AARP card for the seniors’ rate but that no seniors’ rate rooms were available. However, I was told that the regular rate was $139 (quite a drop from $209!). I accepted that rate and we had a pleasant stay in the hotel.

On checking out, I mentioned to the clerk that the ‘Seniors / AARP’ note on their website is confusing and if they only give the discount to AARP members, they should delete the word ‘Seniors’. She said that whomever told me that was wrong and that non-AARP seniors are eligible for the discounted rate. I asked if I could still get that rate (approximately a 10% discount), she consulted with the manager on duty who agreed, and that brought my room down to the original seniors rate of $125.

I’m pleased to have gotten the discounted rate but it’s only because I thought to call back and then ask again at the desk that I got it. I could have easily cancelled the overnight and just spent the day in Buffalo. I wish the Hyatt Regency Buffalo would get this sort of this straightened out because otherwise it’s a perfectly lovely place to stay. The rate confusion is very frustrating, though.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Jennifer M, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Buffalo, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and writing a review about the Hyatt Regency Buffalo. I would like to sincerely apologize for the difficulties you had with making a reservation. All of our reservations are made through a central office located in Omaha Nebraska. I will be sure to speak with the Manager at that location regarding your comments so that we can all be on the same page. However, I am pleased that you did have a great stay with us.

Again, thank you for your valuable feedback, it is through your comments that we are able to improve.

Jennifer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Chattahoochee Hills, GA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Nice rooms, very helpful staff and very convenient if you're in town for a mtg at the convention center. Convenient to the trolley and Chippawa St. Restaurants. Unfortunately, it's not the most interesting part of downtown. Service in the restaurant is a bit slow. Bar area is nice.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

Hyatts are always a hit or miss....but this one is a hit. I had a clean, modern, large room. Very comfortable bed. Loved the unique touches like a small tube of toothpaste waiting for me in the bathroom, and touch screen elevators! This hotel also has an award winning steakhouse (which I didn't try).

Note: I got free overnight parking on Sunday night across the street in the parking garage. (The posted weekend rate was $2 overnight but the gate remained up until I left at 6 am.) Either way it's a cheaper option than hotel parking, while still close to the hotel and secure.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for completing an online review for the Hyatt Regency Buffalo. We really appreciate all feedback that we receive from our guests. It is very important to us as well as other guests that are looking to visit the area. All the feedback that we receive we review carefully and will make any necessary improvements where we may need them and share all the comments with our staff.

Most downtown hotels do not have onsite parking, but there are several parking options around the hotel as well as Valet Parking that includes in and out privileges.

EB Green's Steakhouse is located off the lobby and it is the #2 Steakhouse in the US. It has a variety of choices besides steak as well and the atmosphere is amazing. Next time you will have to check it out.

Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Lockport, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014

Great experience, at a great location. Conveniently located on main street close to everything. The lobby was amazing and the staff went over and above to provide everything that we needed for our stay. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone going to an event at FN Center, Coca- Cola field, Shea's or any other downtown location.

Room Tip: Great bar downstairs for people watching.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

We are located in the heart of downtown which is up and coming in the next couple years. There is a lot of construction for many new businesses that are relocating to the area. Whether you are hear for business or pleasure there is always something to do. Niagara Falls is also a short drive away and a must see! We also have an amazing Waterfront Harbor and a nearby hockey complex that is being built in front of the First Niagara Center where the Buffalo Sabers play. This will be the home for many hockey tournaments and a buzz for many tourists.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Albany, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

I travel often for work, and stay in many different hotels. When in Buffalo I choose to stay at the Hyatt. I choose the Buffalo Hyatt because of its awesome staff, great location, and clean and safe rooms. And, it is a great value I would also recommend this hotel for business functions. In addition to being a frequent guest at this hotel, I have hosted a business lunch, and presentation, using one of the hotel's conference rooms. This is a well run hotel, with a clear focus on guest satisfaction.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

Hotel was in a great location. Close to shopping, great restaurants, and the very exciting Chippewa Street nightclub area. Staff was very professional and accommodating. Hotel was clean and quiet, and my room was the same. Also the self parking was easily accessible from the hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

My wife and I enjoyed staying at the Hyatt in Buffalo,NY. It was easy to get to and very central location downtown for easy access to all of our events. We loved the modern room and all the staff were friendly.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business