“great deal”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Buffalo
Chesley, Canada
“great deal”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

buffalo is a tired city but there are some great deals downtown

probably seventh stay here

easy parking , big clean rooms and friendly staff

go for broke on priceline

lots of restaurants in the area enjoy

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Mount Vernon, New York
Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

I had a pleasant stay at the Hyatt Regency. The staff were very professional and pleasant. The room and bed were clean and comfy. I was not very happy with the breakfast it was very expensive and arrived cold. When I was checking out the front desk staff called me a taxi which was a breeze.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Buffalo, responded to this review, March 7, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for completing an online review for our hotel. Thank you for the positive comments about our staff. We really appreciate your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room. In regards to the breakfast, it is unacceptable that your breakfast was cold. I have shared your comments with the Executive Chef as well as the Restaurant Manager. Please understand that this is an isolated incident and we work together to make sure that this does not happen again. Thank you for your valuable feedback, it is through your comments that we are able to improve.
Reviewed March 3, 2014

My daughter and I where in Buffalo for Saturday evening to participate in a cheer competition. I was completely taken aback that the hotel was having an enourmous party in the lobby which made it hard to move around. In addition, at midnight, out side the window of our room, fireworks went off! Yes waking up my daughter who had to perform very early the next morning. Needless to say it took her a while to fall back asleep after being completely woken up and scared. She was exhausted the next morning.

I complained about it to the front desk and was not happy. I would not have stayed if I had known all this was going on. We stayed so we did not have to get up early and travel in from Rochester. The front desk comped us a meal but really -- I should not have had to pay for this stay as it was horrible. The front desk said they where not aware of the fireworks with this group, but come on there had to be a permit and the police had blocked off the road. Incredible! Would not refer this hotel!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank smh14586
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for completing an online survey for the hotel. I would like to apologize for the difficulties you had during your recent stay. It is disappointing to hear that you did not have an exceptional stay with us. Our hotel did have a large conference in house for the Buffalo Hearing and Speech. This was the first year that the group had their event at our hotel. Unfortunately we were unaware of the fireworks that would be happening outside the hotel. This was set up with the group contact and the City of Buffalo. If the group decides to have their event with us next year, we will be setting up limitations on what can be done so it does not effect the tranquility of our other guests.
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Made the trip to Buffalo to check out a band at the Town Ballroom and the Hyatt location was perfect. Found a great deal on Wagjag including valet parking, which made getting in and out of the hotel a breeze. Check-in was quick with no hassle, room was very tidy and for the money, the hotel was a great choice. Bed was surprisingly comfortable, but as is typical with most hotels, the pillows were awful. If you find yourself in Buffalo, I'd certainly recommend this hotel. Didn't check out much of the hotel amenities, but lots of places to eat nearby and getting to and from the thruway is no problem.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JesseL1515
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights. I must say, every employee that we encountered, was engaged in providing great customer service. They were polite, happy, and passionate about their role. However, there is a list of issues that I wouldn't expect at a hotel that is $250/night (more fitting of a $100/night hotel)
1). The room temperature was very difficult to regulate ... in fact, we finally turned it off just to keep the room a comfortable temperature (it was 10 degrees outside!). When a thermostat says "66" ... the people in the room shouldn't feel like they are in a sauna
2). Room service accuracy and food temperature: Each time we ordered dinner for room service, the order was inaccurate. Dinner x 3, and they forgot a salad each time. One night the chicken looked pink in the middle.
3). The breakfast buffet in the lobby restaurant looked good ... however, the food was lukewarm. I couldn't eat eggs, bacon, or oatmeal that was cool to the touch/slightly warm. I paid $15 and left the food on my plate.
4). I took the hotel shuttle to a meeting. When it was time to return, I called the number on the card they gave me ... however, the hotel number was in accurate. I was stranded with no transportation
5). The bath tub plug was broken
6). The outlet by the desk was dead, as was the desk phone
7). The tv remote had crusty food on it (like a child had been using it?)
8) Our room did not have a hotel guide ... no instructions for staying in the room
9). The temperature in the lobby was so cold, people had on coats
Again ... I have to say, the staff worked hard to correct these issues. However, for $250 a night, I would expect them to 'get it right' the first time ... without a guest having to complain.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Zinni49
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for completing an online review about our hotel. I am truly disappointed about the experiences you had with our hotel during your stay. I understand your frustration with the temperature in the room. We had a few complaints about room temperature and when we had our Director of Engineering look into the problem, we found out that there was an issue with the valves in our heating system. This problem is currently being corrected. It is unacceptable for room service to get your order wrong the first time let alone 3 times. I have shared your comments with our Executive Chef as well as our Restaurant Manager so the staff can be coached. The issues regarding your room should have been noticed by Housekeeping and been corrected before the room was available for any guest to stay in. I have contacted our Director of Engineering to make the necessary repairs before this room is available for anyone else. Thank you for your valuable feedback, it is through your comments that we are able to improve. If you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me.

Jennifer Monge
Executive Assistant
Avon, Colorado
Reviewed February 24, 2014

The Hyatt Regency in downtown Buffalo is in a good location - near enough to the few attractions that still exist in the City. However, the hard luck of Buffalo has rubbed off on this place. It is not what one would expect of a center city Hyatt. The lobby is nice enough, bright and inviting, and looks out on the trolley tracks. The atrium is vaulted with lots of light. However, as it true of other aspects of the hotel, there was an absence of attention to detail and excellence. The atrium was dotted with buckets to catch rain water from the leaks. The ambient lighting in the lounge consisted of Christmas lights with burned out strings.

The neighborhood is just sad. There are beautiful architectual remnants of a bygone era, but it seems that most of the stores are shuttered. There don’t seem to be any department stores left, and even on a Friday afternoon, the streets were empty. You can easily walk to City Hall, a gorgeous structure, and go to the 28th floor observation deck - which is free. Right across the street from the lobby is the beautiful M&T Bank, which is a lovely throwback with a wonderful dome which depicts the heyday of Buffalo. But back to the Hyatt.

The rooms were good size and adequate. The beds do not have covers on them, just tightly fitted white sheets. The room temperature could not be regulated as the AC was not on. The room was at least 10 degrees warmer than I like it and the windows don't open. The room had not been properly dusted and would have failed any white glove test. The caulking in the bathroom was sloppy and amateurish - but no complaints about availability of hot water or the flow of the shower head. Rooms do have refrigerators located under the TV's - and a small coffee pot with good tasting coffee (if you like yours black or with powder creamer). The room was equipped with a nice LG flat screen, but the TV service is not HD and I had to watch the Olympics with very poor, grainy quality reception. It was like the old days with a rabbit ear antennae. I am happy to say that the worn carpeting and beat up furniture described in other reviews seems to have been replaced.

HATED the pricing structure for wifi. Very expensive for in room service. They do provide a place in the lobby to print out boarding passes as well as a business center. If you book a room on the third floor, you might be able to tap into a local unsecured wifi and save yourself something like $15. day.

Parking is available, do it yourself, across the street. Valet parking is expensive (somewhere between $15 and $23 - we were quote different prices)

I loved the fact that you could check in on line, and also check out on line. Very convenient. There is a solidly good and lovely steak house associated with the hotel. The atrium offers a bar and brunch service. The brunch, costing $16.95, is ample and probably the smartest move, as ala carte choices will run you more when drinks (coffee and juice) are added. Food was good, hot, and lots of variety.

The elevators have been renovated and sport a cool electronic room selector panel. I hadn't seen that before. A nice touch. Pool and gym facilities are good and clean. Fine for families.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank LevtyVail
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Our family of three was attending the Rochester Knigthawks/Buffalo Bandits lacrosse game at the First Niagara Center and we were looking for a reasonably price hotel in downtown Buffalo that had a pool and included a free breakfast. We found such a deal at the Hyatt (maybe a AAA rate).

We found the hotel to be relative updated, very clean, and the staff was friendly. The one oddity may have been that they were "over-friendly" all asking the same basic questions..."What are you in town for?", "How long are you staying?", "Where are you from?", etc. It was almost scripted. If I am not mistaken, 4 different employees asked us the same basic questions. Obviously the staff is trained to engage guests like this, but I guess that it is good because at least you know the company feels that it is VERY important for the staff to be friendly with the guests.

The pool was nice, but it was EXTREMELY packed and noisy. There was a cheerleading competition in the area, so the hotel was filled with little girls. We went to the pool and there were only 2 people in it. Within 15 minutes there were over 20 in it. I guess the group must have just returned from some event.

Overall I thought this was an EXCELLENT hotel and I would ABSOLUTELY stay there again, as well as recommending it to even picky hotel stayers.

A++

Room Tip: Find out where the pool is if you want to be near it.