“Tops in My book!”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Buffalo
Rochester, New York
“Tops in My book!”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Our family of three was attending the Rochester Knigthawks/Buffalo Bandits lacrosse game at the First Niagara Center and we were looking for a reasonably price hotel in downtown Buffalo that had a pool and included a free breakfast. We found such a deal at the Hyatt (maybe a AAA rate).

We found the hotel to be relative updated, very clean, and the staff was friendly. The one oddity may have been that they were "over-friendly" all asking the same basic questions..."What are you in town for?", "How long are you staying?", "Where are you from?", etc. It was almost scripted. If I am not mistaken, 4 different employees asked us the same basic questions. Obviously the staff is trained to engage guests like this, but I guess that it is good because at least you know the company feels that it is VERY important for the staff to be friendly with the guests.

The pool was nice, but it was EXTREMELY packed and noisy. There was a cheerleading competition in the area, so the hotel was filled with little girls. We went to the pool and there were only 2 people in it. Within 15 minutes there were over 20 in it. I guess the group must have just returned from some event.

Overall I thought this was an EXCELLENT hotel and I would ABSOLUTELY stay there again, as well as recommending it to even picky hotel stayers.

A++

Room Tip: Find out where the pool is if you want to be near it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Georgetown, Canada
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Our family of 4 stayed for one night for the purpose of attending a Buffalo Sabres game. We were extremely pleased with the friendly staff and since our last stay 2 years ago the rooms have been very nicely renovated! The hotel is clean and the beds were comfortable. A great feature of course is the free shuttle to the arena.
Overall, the experience was terrific and we are planning our return soon!

1 Thank Debbie M
Baltimore, MD
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Room needs work. I got a Diamond upgrade to a weird shaped corner room. Smallish TV is a mile away from the bed. Trying to watch the opening Olympic ceremonies and can barely see the screen.

Not much at all to do in Buffalo. Maybe there is some night life, but it's certainly not in this area. Just totally boring and kind of depressing. LOL. I guess it doesn't help that it's the dead of winter.

Doubt I'll stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Jennifer M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Buffalo, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for completing an online review for our hotel. I am disappointed to hear that you did not have an exceptional stay with us. We are centrally located downtown with the theater district and Chippewa entertainment area about a block away. Winter time in Buffalo is not as busy as our summer months, but there is still many things to do. We are also located on the Metro Rail which provides service to the First Niagara Center that has hockey games, concerts and more. We are also about 20-25 minutes from Niagara Falls which has an array of attractions. On your next visit to Buffalo, be sure to check with our Concierge and they will be able to help you with all the perks of Buffalo. Thank you for your valuable feedback.

Jennifer Monge
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed February 5, 2014

The Hyatt Regency Buffalo is the historical Genesee building. There's a lot of history in the building, and that's both good and bad.
The lobby is nice, very welcoming and up to date.
The staff are friendly and take care of problems promptly.
The hotel corridors on the floors are not the best. Old, very worn carpet and doors to the rooms that look like they belong in a fraternity house - completely banged up with tacky room number stickers on them. Is this a Motel 8 or something?
My original room assignment was right next to the elevator. When reading other people's reviews on other hotels I've sometimes seen people say to stay away from rooms next to the elevator but I've never paid attention to these because rarely can I hear the elevator and plus when I sleep I do so with earplugs and almost never hear anything. That was not the case in this hotel. I don't know if the construction around the elevators is not sound proof enough, or if the elevator machinery is very old and noisy, but I was awoken multiple times through the night due to elevator noise. The room also had a door on the chest of drawers with a hinge busted off, which made the door almost fall off. The carpet had large red stains by the bed and the room generally smelled very moldy/musty. As a regular business traveler I was not impressed in the least. The next day I complained and was transferred to a different room far from the elevators - the noise issue was taken care of. In the new room there were no broken hinges on the cabinetry, no large stains on the floor (carpets are still excessively dirty though) and the smell was much better... although still not fresh smelling or even neutral. The bathrooms in both rooms are good... modern, relatively clean and with showers that definitely do not have low flow shower heads... you might as well be standing under Niagra Falls itself! The workout room was adequate, possibly a bit on the small side given the size of the hotel.
This hotel has "good bones" but desperately needs some TLC on carpets, wallpaper etc. I'm not sure what Hyatt management is waiting for in this regard, that wouldn't be a significant expense. I'm undecided as to whether I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Do stay away from rooms next to the elevator, you will regret it if you don't.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Grant J
Jennifer M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Buffalo, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for completing an online review. Our hotel was renovated less than 4 years ago including all the carpeting, so we are looking further into the carpeting on the 4th floor where you stayed to make any repairs needed. The condition of the room is unacceptable and our housekeeping staff is trained to look for the items you mentioned and put the room out of service until they are corrected. We have shared your comments with the staff and coached them on the proper procedures for room cleaning. All of our doors in the hotel are being re-stained and we are almost complete on this project. In regards to the elevators, we have completed a 2 million dollar modernization project on all of our elevators. There has been some sparatic noise but we are currently making the adjustments needed to the elevators.
We really appreciate your valuable feedback. It is through your comments that we are able to improve. Thank you for choosing Hyatt Regency Buffalo.

Jennifer
Executive Assistant
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

Interestingly, I was placed on a "female" floor. My first thought was that this place is not safe. My executive king is lovely, clean & comfortable with updated furnishings. The lobby & hotel common areas are also very nice. I walked back from a business meeting (I was told the Hyatt shuttle wasn't in service) & was not comfortable walking in the city in the light of day. The shuttle was important to my stay, particularly for safety concerns, and is not an option unless booked well in advance. I used the spa for a manicure & was told that hyatt locks doors even in the daytime to keep out the riff raff. Even more reason to operate the shuttle. I believe the female floor is due to safety issues, not corporate pandering to the female workforce.

Spa gets high marks. Very friendly staff.

Best part of this place ....The steak house was fantastic, on par or better than Ruth's Chris/Capital Grille.

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank Heather37
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We came for a party here everyone from the valet to the desk personell were wonderful and super helpful
! Absolutely amazing stay comft beds clean rooms awesome service breakfast buffet was amazing and staff was helpful amd smiling. gift shop clerk was super friendly and knew history of the gorgeous architechture.. great stay would deffinately be back.. only downside is no hotel parking :(

• Stayed January 2014
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Amazing stay. The room, hotel, arrangements, valet parking, everything was awesome. The last night of our stay there was some noise and commotion, which was addressed immediately. and in the morning the front desk staff told me that due to the inconvenience they are waiving any outstanding charges for our stay. The front desk manager Clint came out and met us at the lobby offered us hot breakfast buffet for all of us free of charge for the inconvenience that we experienced. WOW, We were blown away by the service and courtesy of the staff.

Other than that the room was super clean, hotel is situated at the center of everything, all shopping malls are 10-15 minutes drive.

For winter get the valet parking, its worth it.

1 Thank Ahmer Z