“Unimpressed!”

Hyatt Regency Buffalo
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Buffalo
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We found the hotel and the very NARROW driveway leading to the hotel. We turned into the driveway and it was full of cars. There was no where to park and there were cars ahead of us. We just stopped. After a few minutes of wondering what we were supposed to do, someone finally came over and told us about the $20.00 valet parking. We had to give him our luggage immediately. I was totally unprepared for this and ended up taking the wrong things. If you decide to make this hotel one of your stops and are not a light packer, pack carefully and plan what you will need for this stop.

At the check in we were told about the $9.99 fee for the internet (which will be removed if you are a member of their rewards program). Then we followed the bellhop up to our floor. When I reached the hall, I was shocked by the ugly appearance of the hallway. It was depressing, dull, and completely devoid of pictures. It looked old and tired. I felt like I was in a one star hotel.

After giving the bellhop $5.00, I looked at the room and was unimpressed. It lacked warmth and charm. It was drab like the halls. There wasn't any light in the hall of the room. What lights there were in the room were difficult to figure out. It wasn't until the next morning that the maid told be about the button on the floor behind the chair that turned on the funny looking reading lamp.

The bathroom, except for the marble sink, which has seen better days, looked like "a handy man's special". The tub walls and the floor were covered with a cheap-looking material. Two of the five lights over the vanity were missing. There wasn't a fan.

I then discovered that it cost one dollar to make a toll FREE call.

Upon leaving the hotel, we had to give them fifteen minutes notice to get our car and to have the bell hop get our luggage. I wasted well over an hour trying to consolidate things so that there wouldn't we so many bags. So again, if you stay here, be prepared and pack well.

We stayed in this hotel because my husband attended a conference there. In our stop before Buffalo, we stayed in a Best Western. In our stop after Buffalo, we stayed at a Fairfield Inn. In both hotels, we had nicer and more comfortable accommodations that we had at this hotel.

On the positive side, the staff was probably the friendliest we have ever encountered in a big city hotel. The desk clerk, Erica, was especially helpful and friendly. She even found our Hyatt number for us so that we didn't have to pay for the internet.

The bed was comfortable.

The quality of the food which was provided during the conference varied greatly. The ribs on Friday night were very tasty. The breakfast croissants were excellent. The luncheon vegetable
soup was great. The roast beef served at lunch was among the best I have ever had. On the other hand, the scrambled eggs were strange. They may have been made with powered eggs.
The lettuce came from a bag. The bread that was served to make sandwiches was mediocre. I wish that they had served rolls. I have had much better carrot cake.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jennifer M, Manager at Hyatt Regency Buffalo, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. We completed 15 million dollars in renovations of rooms and guest hallways in 2009. If you have any suggestions of details for designs for our next renovations I would love to hear from you. I am glad that you found our staff to be outstanding as we feel the same about them. In regards to the eggs, we only use cage free eggs, but we will look into your concern to be sure that it is corrected.
Again please contact me with any suggestions you may have.
Jennifer
716-855-4891
Executive Assistant to General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,021)

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Very impressed with the hotel staff. Incredibly attentive. The condition of the hotel was very good. I only wished I had more time to enjoy the hotel. The dining choices are very good on site and there are a number of very good restaurants within walking distance. The Atrium is a very relaxing area and the service was exceptional.

Room Tip: The hotel is conveniently located in downtown Buffalo. Many very good restaurants within walking dis...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Real nice hotel in the middle of the city. Booked thru priceline. To save some money, park in the municiple parking lot adjacent to the hotel, not the lot the hotel tells you to park in. The room was very comfortable and clean. There was a very large benefit party - over 700 guests. This led to parking problems as I valeted the car for that particular day. What a mistake! The restaurant was very expensive. I didn't notice many people eating there, so I went someplace else in town. Overall - I would stay there again, but only for the right price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I can't imagine someone having a poor experience at this hotel. It is recently renovated and the service is excellent. The location could be slightly better- the area behind the hotel can be a little questionable but we walked around at night and we were fine.

The room was incredibly clean and the bed very comfortable. We even had our dog with us and they didn't give us their dirtiest, smelliest room like some hotels do when you have your pet.

The staff always had a smile and were eager to help, especially the doormen. Thank you!

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for rating us on Trip Advisor. Our hotel was recently renovated in 2009 and currently we are currently in the midst of a $1.4 million dollar modernization project of our elevators to include increased speed and efficiency, as well as completely remodeled cabs with digital media and information panels.
We also understand that your dog is part of your family and welcome them as our guests as well.
We are located in the entertainment and theater district, walking distance from many restaurants, shops and entertainment. There is some buildings that are vacant like in many cities, but the area is safe with many things to do in a short distance.
We look forward to your next visit with us!

Jennifer
Executive Assistant to General Manager

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt Buffalo on the 11th of May. We booked 2 rooms via an online got an excellent rate. Rooms were big and clean, however its the staff and the service that sets this hotel apart.

We had ordered a crib and a microwave and both were sent up within 10 minutes followed by a courtesy call asking if everything was satisfactory. Only downsides are that there is not free internet in the rooms, and no free parking. With that being said, we were able to find overnight parking for a reasonably five dollars diagonally from the hotel. If you require in and out privileges, parking can be had for $15 per night, or $20 with valet which we used for our second vehicle.

We will not hesitate to stay at the Hyatt Buffalo next time we are in town.

Room Tip: This is a large hotel, you may want to get a room near the elevators.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to hear that you took advantage of one of our online special rates. We do have many different offers to accommodate all types of travelers. Our staff really work together to make sure that all of our guests have everything that they need during their stay. We want our guests to feel like they are at home during their stay. All of our rooms also come with a refrigerator and our microwaves are complimentary.
There are many different options for parking because most downtown hotels do not have complimentary parking. Our valet service does offer in and out privileges, but if you are looking to stay put, we have 1 parking lot across the street as well as a covered parking garage diagonal from the hotel. On the weekends off street parking is free.

Once again thank you for your feedback and please follow us on Twitter @hyattregencybuf and like us on Facebook, Hyatt Regency Buffalo.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

I have traveled a lot and stayed at a lot of hotels. Some that charge as much as 10 times what the Hyatt charges and none of them have provided the same level of customer service. It started with the valet parking to someone holding the door open for me to bring my stuff in. While waiting for check in, the concierge could see that I had "trade show equipment" with me and offered to move it to his desk and watch it for me so that I could check in to my room without carrying all that stuff around. Every single person I met acted like I was the only guest there that day and I truly appreciated it!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank TravelingKros
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is our third stay at this Hyatt and once again it was perfect!!! I have to say that out of all the hotels that we have ever stayed in The Hyatt Regency Buffalo has the best customer service and front desk staff. I have never seen anything but smiles and genuine care from them all. Kudos to Xiomara who checked us in, she was absolutely delightful and accomodating! Thank you!!

To the Manager~You should be so proud of all of your employees! They certainly know how to treat people as guests as opposed to customers!

1  Thank CruiseWhere