“Decent property, great staff”

Hyatt Regency Buffalo
Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Buffalo
Cathedral City, California
“Decent property, great staff”
Reviewed September 15, 2012 via mobile

Enjoyed the royal treatment from check in to check out...recognized me as a Passport Platinum and upgraded my room, gave me late check out and took care of my every need.

The rooms were comfy and reasonably updated and the bar and main facilities were more than adequate. I am Marriott Gold, Starwood Elite and generally don't get any recognition other than the free Internet and sometimes access to the lounge. It was nice to be recognized as an elite and treated so well by the staff. Thumbs up!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Texas
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Nice hotel to spend with your loved ones.Great views of the downtown .nice pool n had great fun around the place.it is in heart of the buffalo..so easy access to pubs n pizza points.I and my husband stayed at this hotel.had nice breakfast.great for parties too.Nice service.we went around buffalo n had great time that lasts forever

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Grantsville, Md.
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this Hyatt as part of a wedding party the weekend of Sept. 8/9. While the hotel is older, and the decor somewhat outdated, that does not negate the fact that it is a clean property with a great location in downtown Buffalo. We were on the ninth floor, and while the elevators were older and somewhat slow, it was not the issue that other reviewers made it out to be. Our room was pretty spacious, the linens were clean and the staff was very attentive. It seemed to me that the staff was very helpful in accommodating all of the out-of-town wedding guests. Upon arrival, they orchestrated the distribution of "swag bags" that the bride had for each guest staying and were very helpful with information regarding directions, etc.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HRBGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Buffalo, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at the Hyatt Regency Buffalo with the TripAdvisor community. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure to pass along your comments about the staff! I'm pleased to tell you that we are currently in the midst of a $1.8 million dollar modernization project of our guest elevators which will include increased speed and efficiency as well as digital media and information panels. During this time we do have one guest elevator out of service at a time. We have made an additional elevator available to help avoid delays during peak times.

We look forward to welcoming you back should your travels return you to the Western New York area!
Tel Aviv
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Even though it was dim and raining in Buffalo the Atrium makes the hotel always sunny. It was great to have a wonderful and cheerful breakfast there despite pre-tornado outside. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff was incredibly friendly and helpful in this not very comprehensible city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
toronto
Reviewed September 4, 2012

nice hotel scored a really good deal through priceline, would deff. stay here again
i was there with my 3 teen aged boys, they enjoyed the pool and the excercise room
just be sure to get drinks and snaks before you get to the hotel as there is not much around the area
staff was very helpfull and friendly, our room was very clean and well decorated.

Room Tip: ask for a room with queen beds, double beds are too small
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Fort Drum, New York
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I booked this hotel for a weekend getaway for my husband and I. We wanted to visit the Falls and not have to pay the price to stay in Niagara. When we first got to the hotel we compared it to our stay at a Hyatt Virginia, our room was much larger in VA and the hotel had complimentary breakfast in VA. Two things that are very important to my husband.
As we pulled up to the hotel we chose to use the Valet service, they were fast and very friendly. A young man when took our car for us had made small talk and asked up what brought us to the hotel, we responded that is was my birthday and our first anniversay. then he took our car and directed us to the front desk to check in. After checking in we were walked to the elevator and explained that they were do a renovation on the elevators. We were fine with that, as long as we didn't need to take the stairs to get to our room every time.
When we walked into our room it was smaller than we expected but for two people and two nights it wasn't bad at all. We had also booked massage appointments at the Spa Alexis, the staff there was VERY friendly and took us early for our appointments.
We also asked the staff where they would reccommend for a causal dinner and a few drinks, they told us that there was an entertainment district two blocks away, and made a very good rec. for our dinner (which we enjoyed very much). When we returned from dinner there was a bottle of wine and a fruit and cheese spread, along with a note from the valet and consierge wishing me a happy brithday and us a happy anniversary. It was a welcomed surprise. When we thanked them in person the con. made sure to also give us a free breakfast the next morning.
Throughout our two night stay the staff was VERY helpful and made sure to recommend many things and places to eat. They even gave us 2 $10 coupons for the Steakhouse in the hotel, which made the fairly expensive meal more managable.
Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone.
When we came off the elevator there was a large blue sign that stated it was the hotel's goal to exceed out expectations and make our stay memorable. They succeded at that and we will be going back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This was our second or third stay here, I don't quite remember :) I often visit family in the Buffalo area and stay here during my visit. We were at the Hyatt for 2 nights.

This experience wasn't bad, but it wasn't the greatest. It was a lot of little things that could use improvement, and when you add them up, they really make you think twice about choosing this hotel. Here's what they were:

1) Valet parking. When we arrived, the valet was nowhere to be found. And it wasn't busy at all. Finally checked in and asked them at the front desk to take my car. Then, after returning in the car after a family visit later, no valet present. When a car came in BEHIND me, the valet served that car first after returning from the lot. I did mention this and got major apologies, but still...the valets need to get a better system. Especially for $20 a day.

2) Breakfast. It's OK but expensive for what you get...$16.99 for buffet, or menu items a la carte.

3) Room lighting. The desk light (and the plugs I was using for charging my computer and phone) were controlled by a switch way over at the door....which also put on a horrible uplight above the closet. So to sleep with all the lights off, could not charge phone or computer on those plugs on the desk. Dumb.

4) Hot water. Both days hot water ran cool at end of shower, and I don't take more than 5-7 minutes.

5) Smell of the hotel. Sort of weird...musty/smokey?

I would consider staying here again as it was not awful, but since this is a Hyatt Regency, my expectations are just a bit higher.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family