“Nice Place But Check Your Bill”

Hyatt Regency Buffalo
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Buffalo
Reviewed January 29, 2012

This was our first stay at the Buffalo Hyatt. We were just looking for a getaway couple of days. We looked hard at Niagara Falls, Canada, but the Hyatt seemed to have a better deal. Looking back we probably didn't save much if anything. We got the balance package which included breakfast each day and a $100.00 spa credit. The hotel is nice. It was spotlessly clean everywhere. The pool area was small but very nice. The lobby is beautiful. They have a nice little gift shop off the lobby. The staff was friendly, professional and acted quickly on whatever you needed. The room was nice. We actually paid $20.00 extra a night for an upgrade to an executive type room.

I guess we were disappointed because for the money being paid, we expected something pretty spectacular. Honestly, the room was nice, but no better than Holiday Inn Express or Courtyard. It had a desk, bar sink with an empty cabinet below. There was also a mini fridge. The so called grand, fabulous beds are no different than other above average chains. We had a great view, but not worth paying extra for. Interesting that other chains throw some things in like free internet, but not here. EVERYTHING costs you extra. Other complaints about nickel and diming you to death are true. We chose valet parking which was $20.00 a night. I expected that. There are two bottles of water in the room, but drink them and it will cost you $3.00 and, interestingly, the $2.50 vending machines don't have water in them. We got a couple of meals via room service. Food was EXCELLENT, but look at your bill. In addition to the 18% service charge there is a $3.50 delivery fee. Really? Why? It's not like they have fuel cost to take your meal from the kitchen to the room. So that added $7.00 to the bill. Also, even though your breakfast is complimentary, if you receive it via room service the delivery charge is not covered. We didn't eat that the steak house, but the Atrium was nice with good food, but again money is an issue. Ridiculously expensive items. They have a Starbucks kiosk, but it isn't a real Starbucks; they "proudly brew Starbucks coffee" and have some other SB items. The spa was nice, but nothing spectacular. Be aware they don't do couples, so if the two of you get a massage, it will be one at a time. The staff is very nice, very friendly.

Let's finish up with the bill. When I checked out, my $100.00 spa credit had not been given to me, even though I had the charges billed by the spa to my room. Also, the charge for our breakfast our last morning was charged to my credit card. It really seemed the staff didn't know what the package included and why these charges were included. I emailed about the breakfast charge and never got a response. No email, call nothing. So I finally called and was told a credit had been run through a few days before. That's good, but why didn't Hyatt with supposed world class service let me know what was going on.

I can't say I'd stay there again. We liked it, but it wasn't worth the money. Go the Falls, at least you'll have things to do. On the bill there a statement that says if anything was less than excellent to let them know. Well Buffalo Hyatt, take a look at your reviews on Tripadvisor. You claim to be luxury and high class, yet on Tripadvisor hundreds of reviews give you 3 1/2 stars. Not exactly glowing for what you claim to be. Hyatt has responded to other reviews saying they are "competitve" with other hotels in the area. Is that all you want. Shouldn't you want to be best?

Room Tip: Ask for upper floor at the end.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
HRBGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Buffalo, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Hyatt Regency Buffalo with the TripAdvisor community. I would like to take a moment to address a couple of your concerns. As you mentioned, we are consistent with other major brands in the hospitality industry regarding charges for Internet and In Room Dining. The bottled water offered in the guestroom is a convenience for our guests who would rather not leave their room. The Hyatt Regency Buffalo takes pride in our excellent guest service, which is what sets us apart from our competition.

We certainly hope to have the opportunity to serve you again should your travels return you to the Buffalo area.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,003)

Reviewed January 26, 2012

Stayed for the weekend and had a very nice stay.The service was really good from the front desk to the valet.The rooms were clean and in great condition.I would stay there again for sure.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 23, 2012

This was our first stay at the Hyatt Regency in Buffalo. We booked this hotel as a family member was in the CheerSport Competition at the Convention Centre. The hotel rooms were beautiful and the view of the city in the evening and the early morning was lovely. The hotel was attached to the Buffalo Convention Centre so there was no need to wear heavy coats to attend the function. Unfortunately the water in the shower ran hot and cold which made for a lousy shower in the morning. We knew the hotel would be packed, but, were very concerned about the Valet Parking. There were so many cars waiting to be parked by the valet service. When we returned to the hotel after doing some shopping, we had to leave our keys in the car with our valet tag until the service was able to park the vehicle. We watched and waited over a half hour before anyone moved our car. There were people walking all over and any one of those people could have gotten into the car and driven away. The hotel, knowing that the function was on at the Convention Centre and knowing that many people would be staying in their hotel, as there were blocks of rooms reserved for the teams, should have had extra VALET STAFF on during this time. Also, our room was on the 16th floor. In the room guide it said that people on the 14th and 16th floor were to call down to room service to order ice as ice machines were not available on those floors. We called down and the delivery time for a bucket of ice was 1/2 hour!!!! Outrageous....and as the all three elevators in the whole hotel were so full we walked down two floors and got our own ice. The Hyatt certainly needed to prepare a bit more for the amount of people that were attending the Convention Centre function who were also staying in their hotel.

Room Tip: Not sure. We only knew that the others in our party had the same sort of room as we did and were sa...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
HRBGM, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Buffalo, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

I am sorry to hear that you were less than completely satisfied with your recent stay at the Hyatt Regency Buffalo. The demand for valet during the CheerSport weekend was the highest we have had since we introduced valet last spring. We were honestly overwhelmed by the response. We have already met to discuss was in which to be better prepared and better staffed during next year's event. We will change how we handle ice requests on those floors so that it can be delivered without delay. Thank you for the courtesy of your comments. It is only through valuable feedback such as yours that we are able to improve.

Reviewed January 21, 2012

I usually visit Buffalo once a year for work and stay at the Hyatt Regency. Parking for the hotel is located either in the pay lot across the street or the parking garage located adjacent to the hotel. I have never had any issues walking in the area day or night. There are a few restaurants located near the hotel that are reasonably priced and offer good food. The rooms are always very clean and have been upgraded. They include flat screen TV and comfortable bed. I believe the internet was $10-12 a day. The restaurant in the lobby serves a good breakfast and lunch selection. For dinner, we have tried the steak house in the hotel which is very good.

The last time I stayed at the hotel there was an issue with the water on my floor. A circulation pump broke and brown water was coming out of the sink and shower. I informed the hotel staff of the issue and they credited me 1 night stay of the trip and gave me extra points for the stay. I felt that was very reasonable. The water problem was solved in a few hours and there were no more issues for the rest of the trip. If you need a hotel in Buffalo, this is a good option.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2012

My boyfriend and I came to Buffalo for the Toronto Maple Leafs vs Buffalo Sabres game. It was great that the street train took us straight from the hotel to the arena for free. The rooms were really nice not much to complain about there except the shower was quite cold. The hotel restaurant on the other hand was only okay. We wanted to eat dinner before the game but the restaurant wasn't open at night. There was only the bar open and we could only sit a little table not allowing for us to actually eat dinner. The service wasn't too great either. The next morning we went to eat breakfast at the restaurant which had a menu but also a buffet. We figured the buffet would be under 10 dollars or under considering it was like any other continental breakfest but for the two of us it was over 30 dollars.
Overall our stay was good.

Reviewed January 12, 2012

We've just returned from the Hyatt on a Jaunt package, and overall found it to be a good deal.The lobby, bar and atrium area definitely have the high class hotel feel, as well as the valet parking. The staff were very professional and friendly, and our room was very clean, with a very comfortable king bed and flat screen tv and roomy bathroom.
We signed up for the Hyatt Gold passport membership which is free and gave us 2 complimentary drinks at check-in and free internet in the rooms which we found very slow, but useable. I found that we had to go through a couple of the checkin staff to get the gold passport benefits, as they won't freely give them to you without being asked, at least in our experience. The buffet breakfast was about the same as a Comfort Inn with the standard scrambled eggs,bacon, waffles etc. The first morning we ate there, everything was luke warm. The second day we got in there an hour earlier and it was ok, so get there when they put it out.
The location is right in downtown Buffalo, which is great for the sports venues, theatre, and bars. If you're there for the shopping, staying in Amherst might be a better option, as it's closer to all the malls, although it only took us 20 minutes to get there from the Hyatt. I could see it being more of an issue if we were there during the week with more traffic in the downtown area.

Reviewed January 8, 2012

This was my very first time in Buffalo, New York, but I have traveled the world for over 20 years. I was here to perform at a wedding and I only stayed one night. The customer service at the front desk, valet, bellmen and with housekeeping was absolutely superb. I was treated with the upmost respect. The rooms were very modern and had everything I needed. I would definitely stay here again if I were to stay in Buffalo again. The photos posted by other reviewers are extremely accurate and depict the room I stayed in very well. I wish I could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo