“No thanks”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Buffalo
Toronto
“No thanks”
Reviewed November 29, 2007

I'll keep it short and sweet.

This hotel is run down.

We went with another couple, and while our floor was ok - their's smelled of smoke on a non smoking floor.

The hotel very much feels like a university residence building. Very big and very bland. The washroom was dirty and the rooms are bare.

Our bed featured an uncovered matress and heating that wouldn't work (ie. it was too hot!)

I will give it props for the included breakfast....great service by the staff.

No hotel parking!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Plattsburgh, New York
Reviewed November 27, 2007

I stayed at this hotel for a week on business from October 28-November 2, 2007. Lobby was nice, so was the bar and solarium/atrium area, and staff was courteous. There endeth the pleasantry. My room was on the 10th floor.
I had the following issues with the hotel:
1) Dirty. I don't think the vacuum cleaners used by the staff have "edgers". Every hallway had dust/dirt along the edges and in the corners. Hallway carpets had stains and looked worn.
2) Walls are thin. Guest in adjoining room snored loudly and could be heard through the walls, as well as his 3:00 a.m. cell phone calls.
3) Fitness room is on 11th floor. If someone's on the treadmill, you will hear the pounding on the 10th floor.
4)No bedskirts or bedspreads/comforters on the beds. Apparently, the beds were recently replaced and the accessories that were delivered were the wrong size. Nevertheless, room still looks bad/unfinished/uninviting. New bed was comfortable however.
5) Internet in room (via network cable) will cost you $9.95/day. This is a ripoff. Wireless access is available in the lobby only--inconvenient. The staff tried to charge me for an access password, but arrangements were made with our group to get us free access.
6)Bottled water in room - $5.00 each. Another ripoff. Sure, it's a big bottle (liter), but c'mon people-- IT'S WATER!
7) Get your cash ahead of time or at your own ATM. Lobby ATM charges $3.25 fee.
8) If you need OTC medication (aspirin/tylenol etc.) get down the street to the CVS or Walgreen's before 5 or 6 pm. The little shop in the lobby is a rip off. A pack of Benadryl is $10.00.
9) If your business is looking for a meeting place find someplace else. Catering is not up to par. We had a table in the morning with continental breakfast items. We had to ask the staff to refill the single juice pitcher on the table (35 people in our group). On day 1 of our training, our presenter apologized to the group for the hotel conditions. He had booked several Hyatts previously for training and was told us this Hyatt was definitely not up to standard.
SUMMARY: This is not your typical Hyatt. You wouldn't mind paying a little extra if the place was worth it, but this place is a distressed property. If you have a choice, stay somewhere else. The location in downtown Buffalo is convenient ONLY if you have business there. Otherwise, downtown Buffalo is disappointing. There's a lot of vacant retail space, and other than the restaurants/bars, most shops close by 6:00 p.m.
I rated this as Terrible because for a Hyatt, IT IS TERRIBLE. It would pass as okay if it were an Econo-Lodge, but honestly, I've seen better Econo-Lodges.

• Liked — Nice lobby.
  • Disliked — Dirty/run down property.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank turbopilot231
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2007

I have just spent 3 nights at the Hyatt Buffalo on business. Following previous reviewers comments, I was slightly apprehensive. Arriving late on Sunday evening, the hotel was quiet, but as is the whole of Downtown Buffalo.

The communal areas of the hotel look tired and in need of a refurb. The staff however were all friendly and helpful. I did not use the restaurants, though these seemed to be well used and the bar staff were friendly the evening I was there.

My room had twin beds and were very comfortable. (Apparently all beds have recently been upgraded). All the usual requirements of a standard room were there - though no safe (neither did the other hotel my co-workers stayed in).

My biggest bug bear was the wake-up alarm system. Every morning I woke at 6am to 1 ring on the telephone. It turned out all my co-workers staying at the hotel got the same one ring. (So, I wasn't imagining it!) The radio alarm clock was also a little fiddly - as a consequence the alarm in the room next to mine went off at 6.15 every morning. I called reception who were very gracious and switched off the alarm for the day but it went off again next day. These are simple items to fix, so hopefully will not recur, but left me a little tired despite my comfy bed.

Overall, I thought the hotel was fine and value for money. The rate we paid was inexpensive and I can't imagine there is much profit to make grand scale refurbishments on their revenue stream. Buffalo itself is far from being well off as a city, and downtown can be a little shocking to out of towners. My guess is the hotel fits its market well.

• Liked — Well priced. Comfy bed and pillows
  • Disliked — Tired communal areas
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank poppag_girl
jaybee323
Reviewed October 28, 2007

I checked in to this hotel today, 10/28/07 and unfortunately have to stay here until 11/2/07 (work related stay- no choice). When the taxi
pulled up to the hotel, I could tell from the outside that this place
was first, totally outdated, but secondly, NOT CLEAN!

I checked in at the desk and was told that the king sized bed room that I requested months ago for this trip was not available but that I could have a room with 2 double beds. I agreed as long as it was a non-smoking room. It was. However, upon entering the room, I was welcomed by the LOUD clanging of an A/C vent over the door. I could see that someone previously had tried to stop the clanging with some double sided tape that was stuffed under the corners of the vent cover. It was a novel idea but didn't work. (Room 817 by the way)

Before even attempting to get comfortable, I contacted the front desk and requested a different room as I knew that the clanging vent would be a problem come bed time. The desk person was compliant but not friendly nor apologetic in response to my request.

I was told to lug my stuff back downstairs to get a key to another room. I did.

I was reassigned to a room on the floor above (Room 909) which I was told was also a non-smoking room. When I got off the elevator on the 9th floor, I smelled smoke immediately. I did not smell smoke inside my room, however.

The room has two double beds with no bed skirts. The sheets on the beds are tightly tucked under the mattress exposing bright yellow box springs underneath on both beds. Okay.

I needed to plug in my phone charger so I had to bend down between the bed and the nightstand and I noticed dust, grime, hair, etc... all along the wall on the floor (where the vacuum doesn't reach apparently). Yikes!

There is no art on the walls at all, just old dingy wallpaper and the lighting is extremely dim (probably in an attempt to mask the dirtiness and ugliness of the room).

The carpet. Covered in stains and is very OLD! Bathroom. I won't even sit on the toilet seat, it is so nasty and old looking. Guess I'll be hovering all week.

I felt the room was a bit warm so I was going to adjust the thermostat. I've never seen a thermostat like this one, it has to be at least 30 years old and there is a plate nailed above it that says
"DO NOT TURN TO COOL." So I guess I have to live with the heat in here.

The lampshades are covered in dust and the remote for the tv.... grimey. Oh, and I wanted to see what kind of view this room might have and when I went to the window, I saw what looked to me like some
sort of booger on the sheer white curtain. Nice.

I was putting some of my stuff in the closet and saw a spare pillow that had hair on it. GROSS.

So I was so disgusted with this place that I sent some pix from my cell phone to my husband of this room and he couldn't believe his eyes. I wish I could post them on this site but don't have the cord to transfer them to my laptop. Anyway.......

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!! This is not to say that all Hyatt's are this way. I stayed in one in Dearborn Michigan earlier this month that was very very nice - new (remodeled I should say) and clean.

But, this place is a dump. No doubt about it. Sorry Hyatt, Buffalo! You need some major work! Or better yet, a wrecking ball.

This room just needs one more thing to top it off....A bloody dead body laying on the middle of the floor with a chalk outline. Hopefully it won't be me, but based on the surroundings of the hotel, it doesn't seem so far fetched.

• Liked — nothing about it was good at all
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
6 Thank jaybee323
Maryland
Reviewed October 25, 2007

My first impressions of the Hyatt were not great. I didn't mind the offsite parking because that is the case in many city hotels. Plus the parking garage was literally right across the street, a very short walk. My biggest problem was check-in. I had called ahead to advise that we would be arriving around 12pm and was wondering about early check-in. I was assured it would not be a problem. Instead, we were forced to wait until right at check-in time, at 3pm, because they didn't have anything available. I find it extremely hard to believe that all the rooms magically became clean right at 3pm. It pretty much ruined our first day and forced us to change our plans for the remainder of our trip.

The room itself was fine. We had a King, non-smoking and it was very clean. We had maid service daily and they did a good job. The bed was not as comfortable as I would expect from a Hyatt, but I've slept on worse.

We did eat at the on-site steakhouse, E.B. Green's and it was a very good meal. Our steaks were tender and the entire meal was excellent as was the service. The same cannot be said for the other restaurant Harriet's. We waited almost 15 minutes before anybody came to help us. We would have left if not waiting to check-in. The staff was rude and the food was sub-par.

All-in-all, it was just average and certainly not worth the amount of money we paid. But, it was clean and that was important.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank octscotts
Rochester
Reviewed October 4, 2007

When you book at a Hyatt you expect to get a really fancy place - this was just average. The lobby and main floor were very nice but when you got to the rooms - need a lot of updating. Carpet in room was dirty, candy wrapper behind night table, lamp shade had dirt on it, room itself was old looking. Small bathroom. Very cheap Kleenex - fell apart as you used. Instead of a coffeee maker had a one cup maker with enough pods for 3 cups of coffee with only 2 paper cups. For a Hayatt you'd expect china cups/mugs. Expect a lot more for the price we paid. There is no valet parking - have to cross the street and walk a little ways to get to parking garage, $6 per time or $12 for in and out privileges.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank DNS27
Niagara on the Lake
Reviewed September 26, 2007

I reserved a room for one night through Priceline before checking out the Hyatt on tripadvisor. I think if I had I wouldn't have bothered booking. We read a lot of awful reviews and were therefore very nervous when we arrived. We found the front desk staff courteous and efficient and the room was clean and in good shape. The only downside was no parking on the premises. I don't know if they have cleaned up their act or that we lucked out but we were very happy ( especially with the price that we payed on Priceline)

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — no parking
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple