“So far, so good”

GreenLeadersSilver level
North Carolina
“So far, so good”
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I was concerned after reading prior reviews, but so far, so good for me here. I checked in yesterday for a week long stay and attending a convention here. Steven, at the front desk was very friendly and accommodating when I TWICE decided to change rooms (not due to any hotel problem) when I first checked in. Rooms are average in size, bathrooms are small, but not not bad. I slept like a log the first night. No group of kids here. It was easy to get here from airport. Asked for and rec'd extra hangers from housekeeping staff immediately upon request. Hotel is very easy to get to from airport and is just off interstate. I did request a room not facing the interstate. Convention meeting facilities that are set up so far look great. No complaints there. Their front circular entrance is great in that it allows many cars and even a few busses adequate room. There''s free high speed internet access in the rooms. The showerheads in teh bathroom are high enough for me (I'm 5;8"), and the water pressure is normal - not any of the low flow misty stuff. Yes, the hotel has some age on it and the rooms could use an upgrade, but it's fine so far. Parking for members of our group is $6.25 per day and I've parked in the lot rather than the parking garage simply because I wanted to. Restaurant has both hot and cold buffets available for breakfast. Did the hot and cold breakfast buffet this morning. Can't afford to do that everyday at $14.08 (including tax), but there was lots of stuff to choose from, including an omelet bar. So, all in all, I'm satisfied so far.

I will update if there is any reason to, especially if we run into any problems.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Syracuse, Ny
Reviewed July 10, 2010

My family and I stayed here 1 night. The lobby and reception area of the hotel were quite impressive so we thought we had gotten a great deal from Hotwire. AFTER I checked in I was warned that my vehicle was not safe in the parking lot due to recent break ins. They had the nerve to charge me an additional $10 parking fee and then I find out there isn't security after dark. It is NOT in a very good neighborhood. The worst part is the fact that this hotel has become a local party location for teens and they yelled and screamed and cursed until after 2 am. Our room was on the 6th floor and even though our windows were closed the noise came up from the 3rd floor pool/patio area as clear as a bell. The managment was dismissive about the whole thing the next morning even though several guests were complaining. The hallway carpets are very stained and musty smelling. Our room was ok, but definately NOT a 3 star hotel. It was a 1 1/2 - 2 star at best. The only possitive I have is that the beds were comfortable. Too bad we weren't able to sleep though because of the noise.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Somerset, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Stayed there, went for a drink at the Lounge, couldn't find a bartender. Garage was very very dark, not well lit. Several of inlaws keys wouldn't work in the door. No steam fan in the bathroom. Toilet made funny noises when flushed. Definately would not stay there way too expensive. Walls are paper thin, could hear everything going on above me until 2 am. It sucked!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Merseyside
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, but never again!
The main lobby looks very impressive, and the reception staff were welcoming and tried their best to help us, BUT...
The carpets in the corridors and bedroom all need a good clean as there were a variety of stains throughout.
We saw 3 rooms before we decided on one that was just about acceptable, but on opening one of the dressing table drawers, there was some loose face powder and hair inside, and the carpet at the side of the air conditioner looked as though it hadn't been cleaned in a very long time. I reported both of these to the reception desk, but the following day the drawer still hadn't been cleaned and I had to recall the housemaid. I suspect the carpet by the air conditioner continues to be filthy. The TV in the room was ancient.
On our arrival day we eventually got to bed about 12.30am, as we had to order a take away delivery due to the fact that there was no opportunity to purchase food after 10.00pm. We were then awoken by a maintenance man at 7.05am wanting to look at the AC, and then again at 7.45am by the housemaid wanting to do the room!!!I

The only plus factor with the hotel was the free internet access.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 4, 2010

I really think this is one of those hotels that give you a better room depending on the rate you pay. This is since there is no way the room I was in was close to 3 stars or diamonds per the AAA rating. If that is the game they want to play fine, but I will review what I thought I would get.....a three star hotel room....and I got perhaps a 2....which would be fine if I was paying $30 a night. Having read about the noise issues, I e-mailed the manager in advance to request a room that was on the quiet side. I was given a room at the end of the side facing the highway....however, it really does not matter since there is an exit ramp from the I90 that gets off just along the entire length of the hotel....and with no sound proofing, any harley or semi using their engine breaks is going to wake you up. The walls are also paper thin. Again, I wonder if you pay less you get a room on a floor with fewer people...

As such, be warned that this has to be one of the loudest hotels I have ever stayed in. In fact, I turned on the very loud AC since at least that helped one get to sleep versus the road noice. I do not even think it was worth the $50 per night paid on Priceline. Management was very good on check in and in advance and so on the customer service front, they get good marks.

I would, however, not stay here again. Not because it's a older and not the best hotel....I just expect a 3* if something is a 3*....this is not.

On the plus side, free internet is nice. Did not eat at the hotel or go to the bar so can not comment.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Do not stay here unless you are forced to like we were. I read all the bad reviews and went in with my fingers crossed. No luck. Unbelievably, there were TWO fire alarms in the night while I was there 3 nights! One at 2am, another at 11:30. Horrible experience. This is an outdated hotel in most respects. Old t.v. (but good channel selection). Old mis-matched furniture. Dirty windows, center opening window could hardly see through it was so filthy. Beds "ok". Pillows were foam (good) but ancient and of questionable cleanliness (bad). In the hallway at the entrance to our room the ceiling tiles were missing. Paint peeling. Carpet (if you could call it carpet) in room was so disgusting I told my 14 yr old to make sure his feet never touched the floor! My usually unfazed teenager complied. Breakfast expensive. You have to pay $10 for parking! Only two guest computers. Printers for these on the blink. I'm sure there is more, but I'm tired of typing, you get the idea.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2010

The hotel was quite nice , not as spacious as I would have thought ...... bathroom really tiny. The breakfast that was included in the cost of the stay was terrific, and the servary staff very friendly. There were two nights of having to be evacuated... because of a fire alarm at 2 am and next night at midnight ..... we were told it was a false alwarm , thank heavens for that .... and it was due to "kids" pulling the alarm. This hotel housed parents and their children for the weekend hockey tournament . Next time I will be asking if there are any tournaments going on in a hotel before I book my stay . I believe that someone should be accountable for the interrupted stay.... the parents of whoever pulled the alarm...like pay a fine or that the hockey association pay a fine for unattended children .... or that the guests who were inconvenienced get a free night stay . Anyways .... it was not pleasant and I am glad there was no fire !

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends