“Two Tier Rooms.....that is the only explanation I can give that AAA rates 3*”

Adam's Mark Buffalo
Ranked #10 of 24 Hotels in Buffalo
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Two Tier Rooms.....that is the only explanation I can give that AAA rates 3*”
Reviewed July 4, 2010

I really think this is one of those hotels that give you a better room depending on the rate you pay. This is since there is no way the room I was in was close to 3 stars or diamonds per the AAA rating. If that is the game they want to play fine, but I will review what I thought I would get.....a three star hotel room....and I got perhaps a 2....which would be fine if I was paying $30 a night. Having read about the noise issues, I e-mailed the manager in advance to request a room that was on the quiet side. I was given a room at the end of the side facing the highway....however, it really does not matter since there is an exit ramp from the I90 that gets off just along the entire length of the hotel....and with no sound proofing, any harley or semi using their engine breaks is going to wake you up. The walls are also paper thin. Again, I wonder if you pay less you get a room on a floor with fewer people...

As such, be warned that this has to be one of the loudest hotels I have ever stayed in. In fact, I turned on the very loud AC since at least that helped one get to sleep versus the road noice. I do not even think it was worth the $50 per night paid on Priceline. Management was very good on check in and in advance and so on the customer service front, they get good marks.

I would, however, not stay here again. Not because it's a older and not the best hotel....I just expect a 3* if something is a 3*....this is not.

On the plus side, free internet is nice. Did not eat at the hotel or go to the bar so can not comment.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 2, 2010

Do not stay here unless you are forced to like we were. I read all the bad reviews and went in with my fingers crossed. No luck. Unbelievably, there were TWO fire alarms in the night while I was there 3 nights! One at 2am, another at 11:30. Horrible experience. This is an outdated hotel in most respects. Old t.v. (but good channel selection). Old mis-matched furniture. Dirty windows, center opening window could hardly see through it was so filthy. Beds "ok". Pillows were foam (good) but ancient and of questionable cleanliness (bad). In the hallway at the entrance to our room the ceiling tiles were missing. Paint peeling. Carpet (if you could call it carpet) in room was so disgusting I told my 14 yr old to make sure his feet never touched the floor! My usually unfazed teenager complied. Breakfast expensive. You have to pay $10 for parking! Only two guest computers. Printers for these on the blink. I'm sure there is more, but I'm tired of typing, you get the idea.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Buffalo hotels

Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2010

The hotel was quite nice , not as spacious as I would have thought ...... bathroom really tiny. The breakfast that was included in the cost of the stay was terrific, and the servary staff very friendly. There were two nights of having to be evacuated... because of a fire alarm at 2 am and next night at midnight ..... we were told it was a false alwarm , thank heavens for that .... and it was due to "kids" pulling the alarm. This hotel housed parents and their children for the weekend hockey tournament . Next time I will be asking if there are any tournaments going on in a hotel before I book my stay . I believe that someone should be accountable for the interrupted stay.... the parents of whoever pulled the alarm...like pay a fine or that the hockey association pay a fine for unattended children .... or that the guests who were inconvenienced get a free night stay . Anyways .... it was not pleasant and I am glad there was no fire !

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Toronto
Reviewed June 27, 2010

We received this as a unrevealed hotel deal on one of the travel sites and it was a great deal, especially for such a last minute stay. I was relieved to see that it was half decent for ratings and the pictures looked okay, including the bedding, which is a big deal for me. I was glad to see that it was a white duvet rather than those flannel sheets with a thick vinyl top sheet. Check-in was great and the staff were helpful, lobby appeared nice as did the main entrance. However, once we were on our way to our room, everything sort of went downhlll. The elevator was very old and smelled like sulphur (rotten eggs) and very gloomy. The hallways were also the same way, very dim and rough looking. Another annoying thing was that a hockey club or something was there and the kids were obnoxiously running around everywhere and making a lot of noise. Once we came into the room, we thought it was an improvement from the hallway. However, nothing seemed very clean at all and the bathroom wallpaper was all peeling and the ceiling looked cracked and rough. Mirrored closet doors were dirty and streaky, scratched. Nothing seemed to be very well maintained at all. Water smelled funny. There was hair in the bathtub and there was a bar of soap opened and placed on the shower rack (seemingly used), along with a brand new bar next to the tub side.

The one night we stayed there, we really had a hard time getting a good night's rest. First of all, the bed seemed comfortable but really was not. Both my husband and I tossed and turned most of the night. We constantly felt itchy like there were possibly bed bugs. When we finally fell asleep, we were woken up by the emergency alarm at 2:00 a.m. (not the hotel's fault but regardless). Very creepy sounding automated annoucement and everything overall just left me with goosebumps and a bad taste. We finally evacuated with the rest of the guests, which took awhile, as there are many floors. Finally, after it was all over, we went back and tried to get back to bed. Guests kept slamming doors, which was not very considerate. I just couldn't wait for morning to come. I just wanted to get the heck out of there as soon as possible. Ugh! Don't think I could do it again! Felt so gross the whole time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
Reviewed June 15, 2010

This is my second stay here and my second review. I would still recommend this hotel for the downtown Buffalo traveller. And for what I paid.....

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
co springs, co
Reviewed June 9, 2010

peeling wallpaper, filthy windows, no liners in trash cans, oldest showerhead in world. broken business center PCs. Parking $10 a day, no breakfast, dining room EMPTY,
Main door broken, neihgbohood dangerous, hookers, druggies at night
no vent in bathroom. no bellman, etc etc etc

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Rotterdam, New York
Reviewed June 1, 2010

I have to agree with many other negative reviews. This hotel may have been worth 3 stars at one time (decades ago) and you can still see the faded elegance if you look hard, but it hasn't been 3 stars in awhile. We got this hotel after booking on Priceline (name your own price) and while we didn't spend a lot, I still feel gypped. Out of the four elevators, 3 were on the fritz, ensuring a 20 minute wait to get to our room on the 9th floor. Our room was 941, handicapped accessible and a king bed, but dirty, worn, and the computer cable was broken. Our rooms faced the highway and it was like there were no windows, just open air - it was SO LOUD all night long. There was broken glass behind the toilet, and the carpet was in dire need of a shampooing. I honestly, didn't even want to touch the blankets, it was that bad.

However, I will say, the service was nice. We got the room on Priceline, as stated previously, and when we arrived I asked if there were any king bed rooms available. They were gracious in finding one for us.

Should be rated 2 stars, max.

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple