“Lovely room”

Adam's Mark Buffalo
Ranked #14 of 25 Hotels in Buffalo
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Despite the negative reviews, we took a chance on the Buffalo Adam's Mark because it was close to the Lake Erie waterfront, where we took sailing lessons. When walking in the back door from the parking garage, I was afraid that I'd made an awful mistake (we went through the empty ballrooms and into a not-so-nice elevator, then walked the monochromatic hallway to our room). Some of the doors are scuffed up, too. We approached our room with a sense of dread. We weren't crazy about the $10/day parking fee, but the weekday room rate was great and still better than other area hotels that were not as convenient.
However, once we got to our room we were thrilled. The room was sparkling clean and very pretty. The carpet was not new, but it was also clean. The beds were among the most comfortable we've ever slept in, with down comforters that were as thick as the old-time feather beds. And wonderful pillows! The staff was friendly, the lobby was beautiful, food was available almost any time of day. We loved our stay and plan to stay there again when we return to Buffalo.
I agree that problems with food or billing can dampen one's enthusiasm for any hotel, and thankfully we did not encounter any on our visit. Our main concern is a comfortable stay, though, and we certainly found it here. If you are looking for a nice hotel near the waterfront in Buffalo, this place fits the bill.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank PopStop
Write a ReviewReviews (1,840)

Reviewed August 13, 2009

It first started when we were promised a shuttle bus. Guess what, it doesn't shuttle on the weekends! During the week you fools we are in our meetings, we needed it DURING the weekend.
The people at the counter when checking in, asked for a credit card to keep on file, even though our room was paid for. They put a hold on our debit/credit bank card for over $1100. WTH!!! Even the bank could not believe that amount. Most people do not keep that amount of money in their checking account, so we had $150 worth of overdrafts charged to us. Thank God the bank believed that we were not responsible for the room and gave us back our money. I wonder how many other people this happened to??
The food? OMG slimmy buffalo chicken wings, $6 for a glass of house wine that was terrible, McDonalds type bacon that is precooked and microwaved to heat, eggs that are delivered in a large plastic bag and poured in containers that already have the mixture in it. Do they ever empty, wash, and start over with a clean container?? Coffee that tasted like the grounds were reused over and over. This is just a few of the items, just imagine the rest.
The rooms? A closet that is no wider than 3 feet you have to share with the iron on the wall and the ironing board. Not much room for anything else. The beds WERE VERY COMFORTABLE!!!! I did sleep well the whole time I was there. The view of the river would have been nice if the windows were clean to look out of. The rugs in the room had a strange feel to them in bare feet, make sure you wear socks or slippers at all times. The noise from the road was unbelievably loud. The hallways were filthy with stains. During our stay they decided to clean them and did it stink afterwards.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank supee1117
Reviewed August 13, 2009

It's a huge hotel with an indoor parking, pool, sauna, training room. Parking is NOT included so it's an extra $10 or $12. We had no fridge but we didn't ask for one. There is also no free breakfast. It's about a 10 minute walk from the HSBC arena. However there is nothing else to do around the hotel.

It's a okay choice but I personally believe that the rates are a bit too high for what you get in exchange. I would definitely go back if I get a lower rate next time.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Curt67
Reviewed August 8, 2009

My wife and I recently spent one night here while in town. Certainly not one of the nicer hotels we have stayed at, but overall a decent stay, nice location to the waterfront and in cheap cab ride distance from the Buffalo nightlife. This massive hotel has seen its better days, but might stay here again if we got a reasonable rate.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank brads45
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We stayed here for a national convention. What a disappointment! Many guests had complaints of dirty rooms and rooms that smelled. As I entered our room I noticed a terrible smell. Upon investigation, I realized the carpet arouind the AC unit was wet. I went back downstairs are was promptly given another room across the hall. The smell in this room was not as bad and the carpet did not seem wet. I turned on the AC and realized the next morning that the carpet was completely wet.I reported it to the front desk and was told that they knew there was a problem with the rooms on that floor and that he would have the room deodorize the room and maybe the could lay some towels on the floor to dry up some of the water. Upon return noticed they did try and even left me a bottle of Febreze.If you do stay here stay off the 7th and 8th floors The hotel is old and needs updating . Management seems completely unconcerned. How it ever received the high ratings is a mystery to me. I know in speaking to others who were staying in the lower levels, that they did not have the problems that guest on the upper levels were having.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank FLO90
Reviewed July 29, 2009

I joined my husband on a business trip to Buffalo, and we stayed at the Adam's Mark for three nights. It is an OK hotel, but clearly has seen better days and could use updating. The location is a bit out-of-the-way for a pedestrian, but you can walk to more interesting parts of town in about 15 minutes.

The rooms are a decent size and the facilities are in reasonable condition, but everything seems a little old and faded. It is not the kind of place that has premium linens or super-comfortable beds. I

understand that the Holiday Inn company recently bought the place and it will be undergoing renovations. Hopefully that will make the hotel sharper. As of now, it is not our preferred place to stay in Buffalo.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 14, 2009

I don't have much to say about the Adam's Mark. Nothing really stood out to me during my stay. The hotel was clean, the staff was nice, and the location was right off the Interstate - but still right downtown. The rooms were a little worn, dated and small, but nothing that detracted from my stay. I've had worse, and paid more for it. I was able to walk where I wanted to go and I slept well. Overall, no real complaints from this guest and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple