New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of BEST WESTERN - On The Avenue

BEST WESTERN - On The Avenue
Ranked #13 of 23 Hotels in Buffalo
King City, Canada
“Great location, clean rooms, friendly staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

I stayed here with my sisters over the Thanksgiving weekend. It is a great location for shopping and the staff is very accomodating and friendly. Allentown is a lovely neighbourhood. Buffet breakfast is a bonus. We will definitely come back Thank you Theresa!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Hamilton, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

I picked this hotel because of its location - close to the Canadian border and Allentown. After checking in, there are many bars and restaurants nearby for entertainment. First rate accommodations! Recently remodelled hotel. Great, spacious shower. Very clean. Great breakfast buffet. I even loved the parrot in the lobby!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Watkinsville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at the Best Western On the Avenue mid-September. Buffalo is my 'home town' and I visit it regularly. My stays there have always been more than satisfactory. The rooms are clean, the staff is great,parking is plentiful, & the location is perfect! Very close to the Allentown area, Elmwood strip, Shea's Performing Arts Center, and Kleinhans Music Hall. Many wonderful restaurants, shops, etc. I have never been disappointed and can't imagine staying anyplace else.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 4th floor - very quiet
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Waterloo, on
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed at the Best Western when visiting Buffalo for the Bills game. The staff were very friendly and helpful. When I asked if the room had a fridge, they arranged to bring one to the room right away. I would stay there next time I'm in Buffalo. Close to the Anchor Bar, Allentown and Chippewa Street.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Rochester NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I was in Buffalo first with my husband when we brought our son to college at UB, and a couple of weeks later with a group of friends for a concert. T his hotel is very conveniently located, walking distance from the downtown theater district and several good restaurants, and not far from the subway entrance,

On our first visit, we arrived very tired and overheated from trudging around campus on a hot, humid day. We were a couple of hours shy of check-in time but the manager, Theresa Smith, allowed us to check in early. when she noted that the room we had been assigned had a weak wifi connection, she gave us a free upgrade to a jacuzzi suite. The room was beautifully appointed with a very comfortable bed. Later in the afternoon when we went out for a bit of shopping and dinner, Theresa provided us with a map and some suggestions of where to eat. ( We can now give high marks to FAT BOB'S SMOKEHOUSE for barbecue, and COLTER BAY GRILL for burgers and wings....both within a block of the hotel. Colter Bay is a bit noisy but the wings make it worth it!)

On my second visit to this hotel I also received excellent customer service, wish I could recall the girl's name, a young woman with strawberry blonde hair and glasses....the first room I was assigned was next door to a group of guys with a case of beer and very loud voices. after 45 minutes in my room, during which time I could hear them yukking it up nonstop, I concluded that this was going to be a problem if I wanted to get some sleep. The young woman at the desk was happy to reassign me even though the hotel was already sold out for the night (and I'd already been in the room unwrapping the soap and so on) and she found me a nice quiet room. The same woman also helped me with using the hotel computers because I am not the most computer-savvy person.

Breakfast is the same at most Best Westerns, it isn't gourmet fare, but it is dependably fresh with a decent variety, and the coffee is very nice.

Other positives: we saw a number of housekeeping staff members and they always greet you with a smile, only a small thing but I think it lends a friendly atmosphere to the whole place. Also, I like the fact that the entire parking lot was very brightly floodlit at night, I expect it discourages thieves and I felt safe leaving my valuables locked in the trunk. Oh, and we love the parrot in the lobby.

I have only one minor complaint, and this will only trouble those who are traveling in a group. If your room is, for example, on the third floor, your elevator key card will ONLY allow you to go as high as the third floor. Friends on the fourth floor? too bad. You can't go knock in their doors. you can only go to their rooms WITH them. And THEN once you have, you cant get BACK to your own floor, the fourth floor friend had to key the elevator FOR you. key cards required in the stairwells too. This made it difficult for us as we were a group of eight and we were trying to gather in one persons room for some wine and cheese later in the evening, and the running back and forth with the right persons elevator key EVERY time someone needed to go in or out was ridiculous. I understand the need for security but there has to be a way around this.

I would definitely recommend Best Western On The Avenue for comfort, convenience and service, with the caveat that if you are in a group, you should make sure you're all on the same floor.

Room Tip: make sure your whole group is on the same floor, or the lower floor occupants won't be able to g...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Delmar, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights in September while in Buffalo for business. The hotel is in a good location - Close to downtown, restaurants and bars. The area seems safe, however, the front desk does tell you to make sure to remove any valuables from the car. Good practice, but makes me leary of the area.

The lobby is small but the bird is pretty cool to come back to. The rooms are straight out of the 1980s. Very basic, no extras.

The breakfast is just ok. I have had better at comparable hotels.

I may stay at again, but would probably check out other options in the area to see how they are.

• Stayed September 2012
kingston, ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The staff was very friendly and professional. Unfortunately the room did not meet my expectations. There was mold on the bathtub tile and in the grout - especially around the soap dish - yuck! I was also not impressed with the plastic sheet under the badly wrinkled bottom sheet on the bed. On the plus side the free 24 hour coffee in the lobby was nice. Since cleanliness if a priority for me I would opt for a different hotel on my next visit to Buffalo.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family