“Seafood done right” 5 of 5 bubbles

Viking Lobster Co
Ranked #361 of 1,026 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Dining options: Dinner, Cash Only, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: We are a VERY unique establishment Located in Black Rock, Buffalo. We specialize in fresh seafood (nothing frozen) Live lobsters , as well as Prime cuts .We are a Reservation & Cash ONLY establishment:No credit cards or checks are accepted) . We also have a unique Byob policy : No alcohol is served but feel free to bring a libation of choice (ID's are checked to ensure legal consumption of the alcohol.) When it comes to booking larger groups (10-20) there is a specific menu as well as limited space to accommodate these types of groups : A deposit is required to ensure responsibility for that table as well as ordering the proper amount of live product as well as scheduling staff accordingly. Because we are a cash only establishment the deposit ($100) needs to be dropped off atleast 2 business days prior to the reservation.The deposit is given back upon arrival or taken off the bill at the end of your experience (whichever is more convenient ) The Only reasons the deposit would not be returned : ~ Damage to our property as a result of rowdy behavior ~ The amount of guest that were initially reserved do not show up and there is no prior notice upon arrival OR there is an extended period of time between full arrival and time of reservation ( more than 45min.) We take great pride in what we serve as well as the customers experience , these policies are to ensure that everyone has a delicious meal and a great evening .
“Seafood done right”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

My wife and frequently come here. From the staff to the food, you can't do seafood better. Always fresh and plentiful. You start with the most amazing gumbo soup, and their twist on Ceaser dressing is awesome. I have tried everything from the fish fry to my favorite the ultimate viking feast. Never have I been disappointed. In fact the one time (and only) time we had a complaint it was dealt with quickly and very pleasantly. The difference is fresh seafood. I would gladly wait an extra couple minutes for perfection, you know the saying you pay for what you get. This isn't a chain like Red lobster, it is a hidden gem that I would gladly pay a couple extra dollars for, to get the best. That's what Carmen and her staff strive for and produce. If you haven't tried them What are you waiting for? OH YEAH. .. Don't forget the chocolate cake. To die for.

2 Thank hvfdchief9

“Frenchy in Buffalo !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Great food, great staff. We loved the freshness of the seafood, the atmosphere in the restaurant ! We will be back !
Merci pour ce tres bon moment !

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank Pascale d
Sidney, Ohio
“Hidden gym in buffalo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

My party of four found this restaurant late on a Friday evening. The kitchen stayed open late to accommodate our group. The clams casino were excellent. Our dinners were very good, and the portions were very large. Be aware that this place does not have great street appeal, they do not accept credit cards, and you can bring your own alcohol (but it is not sold here)! We were in town for the NCAA tournament and we have gone to some of the best restaurants in town, and this is the one that I will make a point of getting back to! They do their job very well!

Visited March 2014
3 Thank Brian G
Springville, New York, United States
“Terrible Experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Hello. This is a message to let you know of the horrendous experience that we had at this establishment last night. I just have to say we truly felt ripped off. It just seemed like a comedy of errors. I had ordered surf and turf with a filet mignon. I ordered the filet medium rare but it came quite over cooked. There was a problem with the cut of meat, which was that there was a flap to it. It was a bit hard to understand which prompted me to decide not to get a replacement piece. My fiance' ordered the Far East. The pieces of meat were far from tender. They were odd shaped and had grizzel to it. The description on the menu said tenderloin but I would debate. The shrimp were small for the price charged and not deveined. The scallops we not cleaned as well. I should point out that there is a small piece of hard muscle attached to the side of each scallop which is quite unpalatable compared with the adductor muscle itself. Another member of our party ordered the steak stuffed lobster, was told that he was to receive a 1 1/2 pound lobster stuffed and placed upon a New York Strip Steak. He received chunks of meat mixed in. There was no strip steak. On top of that his lobster's claws never made it to the table. His wife's entre' was the lobster stuffed haddock filet. The haddock was fishy and had such an unapealing brownish color, it was left untouched. I am a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, have travelled all over the country cooking as well as eating in many many establishments from Maine to San Fransisco, and Boston to New Orleans. For close to Four Hundred Dollars and having no bar tab, this was quite appalling. I would normally expect to be reimbursed but quite frankly I am left wondering.

Tom Kunz

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Tom K
jeff b, Manager at Viking Lobster Co, responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Although everyone has the right to their opinion, relating less than factual information is an affront that needs to be addressed. The individual did in fact get an over cooked steak which was offered to be replaced, he declined and wasn't charged for. The scallops in question are U-10 Dry and of the best quality available. The Filet Mignon was hand butchered by my self from a USDA choice tenderloin, check out other reviews about this item. The staff makes very specific descriptions of all menu items and never has indicated that a lobster would be placed on a full cut NY strip and if specifically order certainly not at the price quoted. My staff from the minute these people came in sensed there could be problems, three different servers ( we work as a Team ) indicated that one of the male guest was rude, so much so that given another incident I would have intervened.

The check was presented and paid for and the tip left was within the normal range, now at this stage of an experience if complaints are presented we try to the best of our ability to make sure the guest is reasonably satisfied if not completely. Tom Kunz left a message on our Facebook page indicating he was unhappy and would do a review about the experience and a contact number,

I quizzed the staff about the incident aware that there were problems and asked if these people were given an opportunity to voice and rectify any complaints, the united response was yes. I called Mr. Kunz and after several attempts made contact. After listening to his comments and evaluating his feed back I determined that he was never going to be satisfied with our efforts to please him. I offered to have him and his party be our guest at an event with no cost in an environment which is normally fun and entertaining mostly to make sure no negative vibes would be present, that offer is now rescinded.

The man claims to be CIA trained and working all over the country, I suggest if anyone is interested further do a check we did.
Buffalo, New York
“Great Presentation but Lobster Claws were off”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

The presentation was beautiful just like the picture in the header. The soup was ok. It was nice to be able to eat the soup right away and not blow on it for minutes to cool it down. The basil caesar dressing, although not on romaine lettuce, was a great alternative to classic Caesar. The BYOB wine was cool. A friend of mine was there just before us and left the remainder of there wine still cold in a bucket. The crab was good, the lobster tail was good, the lobster claws were terrible. Not sure if maybe it was a bad time of year for lobster but they were terrible. I will say they were prepared perfectly. Strange that all four claws were bad. The shrimp, scallops and haddock would have been much better served with even some basic seasoning. After all the hype it just was not what I was expecting. Oh....and the service was VERY slow. They were busy but not that busy that it would take 15 minutes to get soup and another 10 to get salad after that and then another 20 minutes for the main course. Over 2 hours for dinner.

Visited March 2014