“Buffalo Bayou”

Ranked #93 of 1,069 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Inspired by the soulful cuisine of New Orleans, Shango Bistro and Wine Bar strives to awaken the senses through Chef Jim Guarino’s culinary creations, a Wine Spectator-awarded wine list 170 bottles strong, and our eclectic, carefully hand-selected beer menu. Shango embodies the spirit of a true neighborhood bistro — offering a light, fun atmosphere paired with serious food and drink.
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Been to Shango twice on business trips to Buffalo. Great little find that I was turned on to by a colleagues sibling. Oenophile friendly with a good (albeit small) rotating draught beer selection. Food has been consistently good on both occasions with a lot of sharing and sampling of others small and large plates. Definitely worth a trip.

Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Ive been here several times for brunch great service and great food. They always have a variatey of things on the menu! I will definitely be going for dinner in the near future.

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Great food and drink. We went w/o reservations on a Saturday evening, but were treated well nonetheless. Busy place! It would be wise to reserve a spot beforehand.

Reviewed February 9, 2014

I would say this is a very nice couples and friends atmosphere. Not one I'd bring children to, as it has the atmosphere of more formal dining for dinner and can be very romantic as well. Their food in a fusion style and very good, but a bit pricey. We took another couple there on this occasion and had a very nice time. We were there for quite a while and didn't feel rushed at all. We all were able to relax and enjoy the atmosphere along with good conversation.

2  Thank Nancy K
Reviewed December 7, 2013

I can't fathom why Shango isn't ranked higher in the Buffalo restaurant ratings.

We visit Buffalo roughly twice a year and, for several years now, no trip to Buffalo has been complete without a meal at Shango. Food might be defined as "somewhat refined" Southern (U.S.) cuisine -- all the scrumptioness (sp?) without the grease or fat. Wines are reasonably priced; service was - as ever - intelligent and attentive. (I tend to drink a lot of water during my meals and just loved the way the busboy kept refilling my glass without even a nod from me.)

Portions are - compared to what we're used to - large, so you may want to split your starter. For our part, we've never managed to find room for dessert (though the ones we saw going by - and being devoured by others around us - looked very tempting).

A tip about parking: If you can't find anything on the street, there's a small lot at the corner of the next street along Main. No idea who owns it, but we've parked there - without paying - several times with no problem.