“Mother's Day Brunch” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Shango

Shango
Reserve with OpenTable
Shango is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #99 of 1,025 Restaurants in Buffalo
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Inspired by the soulful cuisine of New Orleans, Shango Bistro and Wine Bar strives to awaken the senses through Chef Jim Guarino’s culinary creations, a Wine Spectator-awarded wine list 170 bottles strong, and our eclectic, carefully hand-selected beer menu. Shango embodies the spirit of a true neighborhood bistro — offering a light, fun atmosphere paired with serious food and drink.
“Mother's Day Brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Great Menu. Unusual offerings; all very tasty. Excellent service. Great music. Sweet potato pancakes, stuffed French toast, Mimosas all great

Visited May 2013

Buffalo, NY
“Excellent Food, Great Dining Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

The food was excellent and the service was pretty good. The gumbo was fantastic. Banana's Foster was delicious.

Visited April 2013
“Delish”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

I go here often. Food and service are consistently good whether it is for Sunday brunch. Dinner. Or even drinks and apps at the bar. The white wine Sangria last August is also VERY memorable. Delish!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Katie P
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

What a hidden gem! The food was fantastic and the portions were very generous. We had the buttermilk fried chicken and the seafood bouillabaisse, both were fantastic. I had the gumbo to start, I'd skip that one next time (tasted kind of burnt), but that won't prevent me from coming back- it was overall a great experience.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Cherry P
Buffalo, New York
“Waited way too long to check this place out!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have lived between North Buffalo and the city of Buffalo for nearly three years now (after being a suburb native my entire life) and I can't believe it has taken me this long to make it to Shango! Time and time again, up and down Main Street, I would drive past this place looking over, thinking to myself "I should go there" but procrastinating and never doing so. Truthfully, from the outside and the neighborhood it looks a little "divey". I really didn't expect to be so classy and elegant inside (maybe that's why I never made the trip prior). Anyways, finally ventured over last night....

The reason I choose to go last night was because the website states that "Happy hour" is Thursday 5-7 pm. So at first I was a little bewildered, wondering why happy hour was only one day a week, and specifically Thursday. Hmmm...well ok, I will wait to go on Thursday. My boyfriend and I arrived at approximately 6:00pm, and there were about four stools left at the bar to sit at. We didn't plan on getting a table; we prefer to be more casual and spontaneous. This warrants making no reservation, crossing our fingers for a seat at a potentially packed bar and impulsively ordering whatever appetizers strike our fancy at that moment. Well we were in luck all of this went according to our unstructured plan.

I did not notice on the website (or apparently read in depth yelp reviews) that they only serve beer and wine. Albeit I was a little annoyed with this when I realized upon our arrival, I wanted wine anyway so it was ok. *However* that's definitely important to be aware of - especially if you aren't a beer or wine enthusiast. Even if the menu is a little restricting with the choices (typical for a happy hour special), they offer very decent prices. Wine is $4 a glass, beer is $3 a glass. The (limited) menu items for the happy hour special, ranges between $5 and $6. We decided on the crab, artichoke, and jalapeno dip from the happy hour menu. This came accompanied with crostini AND tortilla chips. I liked that is was served with two different options. What I liked even more was that when the dip outlasted the chips and crostini the bartender brought us more of both (without us having to ask first). This dip was something I normally wouldn't venture toward, however my boyfriend wanted to try it, and I was very delighted we did. It was absolutely delicious! Since we couldn't find much of anything else on the reduced happy hour menu, we agreed upon Calamari off of the regular appetizer list ($9). The calamari was accompanied with red chili aioli and house pickled peppers. The red chili aioli (spread evening atop the calamari) was delicious - I actually wished there was a cup on the side with more! The calmari itself was a little on the chewy side.

The service was very good. Our bartender was very attentive. It also looked like he was waiting on the tables that were located in the bar area, as well. For multi tasking and bouncing back and forth he did a great job.

I was disappointed to see they only had one (tiny) TV at the bar, which wasn't even turned on during our stay. They had a solo music act set up and began with live music around quarter to 7:00. This was an indicator that I knew they wouldn't be turning on the TV at 7:30 for the Sabres game. We ended up leaving shortly after to go watch the game elsewhere. The bar itself, made of woodwork, was VERY sticky. This bothered me, it just didn't feel clean and my arms kept sticking to it.

Overall, I loved this place and can't wait to go back!

FYI - according to the chalk board with information on the wall adjacent to the bar, happy hour is MONDAY - FRIDAY 5:00 - 7:30 (not 7). I guess I need not worry about reserving my Thursdays for a visit to Shango

• Visited February 2013