“DONT LET THE STRIP MALL SETTING FOOL YOU.OUTSTANDING HEALTHY FOOD”
Review of El Canelo Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
El Canelo Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
milford de
“DONT LET THE STRIP MALL SETTING FOOL YOU.OUTSTANDING HEALTHY FOOD”
Reviewed February 23, 2012

I was cautious so asked a few folks leaving the place Since it was not very busy everyone i asked liked it.'Decor and setting is ok but a little bland . The owners and staff really care about their customers.
The young man that served me was very courteous
I the #3 Chicken it actually came with a large fresh poblano pepper. Very healthy no unnecessary oil or lard just fresh good and tasty and healthly i am a fan. very nice caring proprietors.
Atmosphere is bland but food makes up for it and close to the interstate I-90 exit 56 at the mall

• Visited February 2012

buffalo
“What's with all the hype?”
Reviewed May 23, 2009

I can't understand why anyone would say good things about this place. I heard good things so I was excited to go there -but man was I dissapointed. This was the worst tasting mexican I've ever had. I don't compare this to Taco Bell or other fast food chains because that is not real mexican anyway, but I would have rather eaten there. The food looked authentic, but it had no taste. I had a combination plate- everything tasted the same. My beef taco had greyish colored meat and absolutely no sauce or seasoning in it. Just plain beef and lettuce. I had to ask the waiter to bring me taco sauce or something. (he was very nice- and american) There are two sections to sit in. We got put in a small old side room that was not decorated at all, and the booths were from an old hot dog stand. I would never reccomend this place to anyone because they would be wasting their money like we did. Cinco de Mayo is awesome. Go there instead. The food takes longer to recieve but is really good and affordable. We go to the one in Orchard Park and I hope they stay in business in this economy because it is really good.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“I lived in Texas long enough to know it when I see it -- this is the real thing. Great, salsa that's always a little...”
Reviewed August 3, 2008

I lived in Texas long enough to know it when I see it -- this is the real thing. Great, salsa that's always a little different every time -- you can tell they make it fresh by hand. Tex/Mex dishes gringofied just a enough to meet people's expectations (what's with all the lettuce?) And attentive wait staff who don't mind explaining menu items to adventurous diners. Not a big fan of their beans, but otherwise my go-to place for fajitas!

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The closest thing to actual Mexican food in Buffalo. Not fancy but good, basic Mex. fare. If you're desperate for...”
Reviewed April 30, 2008

The closest thing to actual Mexican food in Buffalo. Not fancy but good, basic Mex. fare. If you're desperate for enchiladas with ranchero sauce or hot chili relleno, this might do the trick.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“El Canelo is located right off the Odgen St. exit off the 190. In my opinion in regards to Mexican food, this...”
Reviewed April 10, 2008

El Canelo is located right off the Odgen St. exit off the 190. In my opinion in regards to Mexican food, this restaurant is one of the hidden gems of Buffalo because this is as close to an authentic Mexican restaurant as you will find in Buffalo so far. The atmosphere is quite casual and laid-back and the serivce is adequate. Our meal started with a basket of tortilla chips that were warmed when right before served and was accompanied by a delicious homemade salsa dominated with fresh tomotoes and cilantro. The menu covers everything you expect from a Casual Mexican restaurant from the grilled fajitas to the burritos to the fish tacos. There are hundreds of menu combinations available to satisfy any mexican craving. We started with the chicken enchilladas which were ok and had the steak fajitas, beef and chicken burrtos. Steak, onions and peppers arrived in a sizzling mini cast-iron dish accompanied with warmed tortillas. This dish was very good. The burritos were filled with steak and chicken and covered with El Canelo's beef and bean sauce. Both dishes where served with rice, refried beans and a guacomole salad. If you a fan of any one the multitude of Mexican chain restaurants in Buffalo, don't expect a cookie-cutter presentation. Its prepared, put on a plate and kept in the oven until you whole ordered is ready to be serve (so watch out for the extremely hot plates when served), but the food is quite authentic and very good. An added bonus, they have the pint beer mugs and large margerita glasses. All this comes with a very reasonable price. I would definitely suggest this place if you're trying to fulfill that Mexican food craving.